Hello Bass Guitar forum! After a year of playing strictly guitar, I've decided to revert back to bass (which I had played for a few months before picking up the guitar).

Currently, I own a Squier Affinity J Bass and a Fender Rumble 15 (both from the same starter pack). I'm unsure which to upgrade first.

I don't think the Rumble sounds half-bad. Sure, it doesn't have much tone-shaping control, but the tone is fine for the time being. My only concern is the lack of power. If I were to replace this, I'd probably get a Carvin BX500.

The Squier sounds decent, too. There's a horrendous amount of fret-buzz on the E-string, though, and though I haven't had the thing set up properly, I've never heard such an awful amount of buzz from my guitar. Plus, it has medium frets, which kind of seems silly for a bass (at least to me). I'd be willing to drop roughly $400-$600 (USD) on a new one.

So UG, which should I upgrade?
Getting a better amp will more vastly improve your sound then a new bass, but you'll need a new bass if you find your Squier difficult to handle. I'd suggest either getting a new amp and going and having your bass properly set up, or going used on both and upgrading both bass and amp
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'd say get the BX500, which then you would need a cab as well. So that's pretty much your whole budget. A better bass can wait, just save up a bit more and get a decent used one. I think it'd be really hard to find a used BX500 for a decent price.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
I'd say get the BX500, which then you would need a cab as well. So that's pretty much your whole budget. A better bass can wait, just save up a bit more and get a decent used one. I think it'd be really hard to find a used BX500 for a decent price.

Yeah, I'm thinking my bass will be okay as long as I get it set up.

EDIT: Thanks for the help everyone!