hey musicians, i have $600 budget and wanting to buy an amp that would suit into my studio. which one should I buy? orange vs marshall vs fender vs rolland. please give your reccomendation, thank you.
I mostly play blues, jazz, rock and punk

helppp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

although it is 700 it is well worth the extra 100 for you styles
King of Shred

Gear:
ESP LTD F-500
Takemine G-340 Acoustic
Ibanez SR505
Ibanez GSR200
Line 6 Spider III 75
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
Laney GS412LA Cab
Peavey VK100
+2 for the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I don't own one personally, but I've played them many times. It's really worth the extra $100.

If you REALLY can't come up with the money then a Blues Jr. may be worth a look at. It really wouldn't be my first option, but it is less expensive.
The Fender HRD has a terrible overdrive/distortion channel, though, so you'll need a pedal if you want good dirt.

I'd recommend the Peavey Classic 30 or the Jet City Amps JCA20.

Where do you live, OP?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You'll probably be able to afford a used JCM900 combo at that price.

Also, do you already have a cab?
thank you for your recommendations...! btw whats the difference between cabinet and combo amps? for sound.

i only own Marshall MG100DFX
I strongly recommend this amp, to many!

Peavey Tube Vypyr Series

$50 above budget, but worth the difference!
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
i'm thinking about that peavey amp, but still im curious if i should buy laney cabinet because it costs about $700.
peavey classic 30
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by JacksonDX6412
I strongly recommend this amp, to many!

Peavey Tube Vypyr Series

$50 above budget, but worth the difference!

You're insane. I would NEVER spend $650 on a practice amp. $650 could get you any number of pro level amps on the used market. Add another $100 or two and you can snag some really top notch stuff...

The only reason to buy a low end modeling amp like that (if you think it isn't low end, name a band that uses one) is if you have no idea what sounds you like and just want to experiment and find your sound... Which you should do with a $100 15 watt model, not a $600 120 watt model.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by dhenia182
i'm thinking about that peavey amp, but still im curious if i should buy laney cabinet because it costs about $700.

Ignore the Vypyr. You have waay too big of a budget to even be considering one.

Look into:

Used JCM900/2000
Used JCM 800
Peavey Classiic 30
Crate Blue Voodoo

and I'm having a major brain fart and can't think of any others. Ignore the HotRod, unless you can get a good dirt pedal to go with it.

Play the used market, especially with that budget. You can get some great stuff.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Using the dirt channel for punk isn't how you do it if you own a Fender. The Sex Pistols tone is a Fender Twin turned right up, you can do that with a HRD too. Who needs a dirt channel for punk? Crank it baby, crank it!!
For the other styles a HRD is bang on, just add a boost pedal to the mix.
A JCM900 would do the deed too, just wind back the treble and gain a tad and it will pull off jazz too, although, it is better for the other styles.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I guess I'm going to buy a used JCM900!! my guitar is fender telecaster lite ash, and I hope it can do all the deeds with that amp haha
Quote by Cathbard
Using the dirt channel for punk isn't how you do it if you own a Fender. The Sex Pistols tone is a Fender Twin turned right up, you can do that with a HRD too. Who needs a dirt channel for punk? Crank it baby, crank it!!
For the other styles a HRD is bang on, just add a boost pedal to the mix.
A JCM900 would do the deed too, just wind back the treble and gain a tad and it will pull off jazz too, although, it is better for the other styles.

Yes, but not everyone is in a cranking position (kinky ).

The HRD cranked up sounds pretty good, but I'd take a JCM for punk personally.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
tubetime (above) is 100% right.

Cripes, there are thousands of great used amps gathering dust. Put an ad on Craig's list, etc. and say 'will pay $500 for a guitar amp?'. You will get offers of mint amps that go for $1500.

I own 7 amps and have never paid over $100 for any of them. A couple of them retail for near $800.

It's insane that anyone with a brain buys a 'new' amp unless it is for a very specific reason.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
You're insane. I would NEVER spend $650 on a practice amp. $650 could get you any number of pro level amps on the used market. Add another $100 or two and you can snag some really top notch stuff...

The only reason to buy a low end modeling amp like that (if you think it isn't low end, name a band that uses one) is if you have no idea what sounds you like and just want to experiment and find your sound... Which you should do with a $100 15 watt model, not a $600 120 watt model.

Something tells me you havent even played it

Current Gear:
Fender Mustang
Quote by JacksonDX6412

I've played it...and almost bought one to use as a practice amp. But it's still not the amp I would recommend for this scenario. No way in hell I would use a Vypyr for Jazz or Blues...rock and punk it will do better. But a 18-50watt tube combo would still be the better choice IMO.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by dhenia182

Actually, you can even get the Peavey I have., $200 cheaper than the one I listed earlier, and 60-watts instead of 120 watts. Bit more suitable for a pure practice amp, I guess.

Here ya are~

Might still come with a free pedal too.

And here's a good but short read ;-)

-
Current Gear:
Fender Mustang
Last edited by JacksonDX6412 at Jun 8, 2010,
i live in indonesia and theres not many options to offer here for a used amp. i cant buy it in craigs list nor ebay because the tax and package will be much more expensive. so yeah i need to buy a new amp / cabinet ..
Blackstar HT Studio 20....
I will ruin every of your stuff...

Sir, I believe I love you.
Yeah you can sig that if you want.
-Posted by Kynyster_K
Quote by JacksonDX6412

I haven't, but you didn't understand my post. I'm not saying its a bad amp, I've heard they're great. I'm saying that spending $600 on something that does everything OK and nothing great doesn't make sense. Find out what you want and spend $600 on something that does the one or two things you want great.

The Vypyr is highly recommended for a practice amp, but that's all it is. Hell, a lot of the amps it models can be found for that price, and you can't possibly try to tell me the digital modeling copy of an amp sounds better than the real thing... Can you?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Hell, a lot of the amps it models can be found for that price, and you can't possibly try to tell me the digital modeling copy of an amp sounds better than the real thing... Can you?

The amp is modeled after the stuff that PEAVEY makes. Not what everyone else makes. Second, it's done perfectly. I tried it against ALL of the amps Peavey makes and it truly sounds exactly like them.
Current Gear:
Fender Mustang
nice inputs! im considering Marshall or Fender ....what do u think about orange amp?
Quote by JacksonDX6412
The amp is modeled after the stuff that PEAVEY makes. Not what everyone else makes. Second, it's done perfectly. I tried it against ALL of the amps Peavey makes and it truly sounds exactly like them.

Keyword being 'modeled'...I'd still take the actual amp anyday over the Vypyr interpretation of it..
Quote by dhenia182
nice inputs! im considering Marshall or Fender ....what do u think about orange amp?

Quote by dhenia182
Rolland VS Peavy!

1: Doublepost. Why?

2: "I'm considering Marshall or Fender, Orange, Roland or Peavey"... What the hell do you want?
You've had plenty of advice so far, and you're still being trigger-happy about this?

And in case you haven't noticed, eyebanez, for example, gave you a bunch of nice suggestions:
Quote by eyebanez333

Now get off of the damn computer, and go try a few of these amps.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
1: Doublepost. Why?

2: "I'm considering Marshall or Fender, Orange, Roland or Peavey"... What the hell do you want?
You've had plenty of advice so far, and you're still being trigger-happy about this?

And in case you haven't noticed, eyebanez, for example, gave you a bunch of nice suggestions:

Now get off of the damn computer, and go try a few of these amps.

wow dont be grumpy. im still open with opinions bout Marshall, Fender, Rolland, Peavey, and Orange.

and thanks to eyebanez
too bad I cant find those amps in Indonesia...
Last edited by dhenia182 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by dhenia182
wow dont be grumpy. im still open with opinions bout Marshall, Fender, Rolland, Peavey, and Orange.

and thanks to eyebanez
too bad I cant find those amps in Indonesia...

I'm not being grumpy.
People already suggested lots of different amps, and you don't seem interested in any of them.

Quote by dhenia182
i live in indonesia and theres not many options to offer here for a used amp. i cant buy it in craigs list nor ebay because the tax and package will be much more expensive. so yeah i need to buy a new amp / cabinet ..

If you can't find any of them in Indonesia, just post a list of the amplifiers you CAN actually find there and that fit your budget, and we'll tell you which ones we think are best.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112