Hi!
I'm trying to get better at shreding and I was looking at everyone talking about alternate picking,etc.

In alot of licks I see people like Paul Gilbert use some complicated picking techniques (I do economy picking) and I don't see WHY they do it?

Can someone tell me why should I master the 4 guitar world magazines excercices on this kind of picking ?

Because now my economy picking is great, and I have a little difficulty finding why re-learning to pick will help me!

Thanks alot, and if you can provide some licks as examples, it would be awsome too!!

Peace!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
I asked a similar question before. In this case, alternate picking vs economy picking is personal preference. Technically economy picking is more efficient, but that is negligible compared to the "comfort" factor. Besides, if you're already good at one or the other, then going back and learning another way to do the same thing is a waste of time. Neither technique is limited.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297459&page=1
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Well, I'd assume you could alternate pick just fine if you can economy pick. I can, but I dunno maybe thats just me.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Thanks guys..
But why do guitarists like Paul Gilbert in lessons take the time to do outside picking, alternate picking (not economy).. is it more efficient?

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
I find that deviating from the traditional "up, down" pattern of alternate picking requires a degree of pre-preparation that is useful when playing preconceived passages, but would probably be difficult for improvization. If you can master it I admire your discipline, and I will do things like start with an upstroke, or sweep for a string skiping passage. But I find myself doing this only when I know in advance what I'm going to play.

In any case, there is a muscle that you will work by practicing beginning a passage with an upstroke, which kind of makes it a beneficial thing to practice in its own right.
accentuation line is completely different with alternate, more life, more rhythm implies...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
It's easier to keep the rhythm with alternate picking. It's just down up down up ... etc no matter what you're playing.

Economy picking is just what it sounds like, it's more 'economical' than alternate picking.

I would suggest learning both like someone said above, but make sure to practice them separately.
Ok thanks.. hopefully this will help me advance in my playing

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Economy picking is just small groups of alternate picking linked together. Use both!
404: Sig not found.
You can't play 4 or 2 notes per stings with economy picking combination are really limited to unpaired notes per sting.
Because of the accentuation variations she can give and some transcription facilities, economy picking must be practice too.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Quote by Venusio G.
You can't play 4 or 2 notes per stings with economy picking combination are really limited to unpaired notes per sting.
Because of the accentuation variations she can give and some transcription facilities, economy picking must be practice too.

Why can't I play 4 or 2 notes per string with economy picking?
I pick alternate, but when I change strings I do the "easier way" meaning if the strings is toward the ground, I pick toward the ground.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
I pick alternate, but when I change strings I do the "easier way" meaning if the strings is toward the ground, I pick toward the ground.

Most people would just call that alternate picking.
Quote by Venusio G.

Sure you can, It is just played the same way as alternate picking
Strict alternate picking can help longer runs sound cleaner - with economy the notes picked on an down-down stroke between strings may run together especially with high gain. It may be a small difference, but when you're talking about people like Paul Gilbert what is there left to improve? For small box-type licks economy and legato is what most use.
Quote by Freepower
Most people would just call that alternate picking.

Ah but on lessons they say I need to U / D / U / D always... Never 2 Downs or Ups strokes...
:\

But no one really explained WHY I should do it...
I mean shredders or lessons insist in the fact that outside picking is good, always U/D/U/D picking is best,etc. ??!?!

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Bump :\

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Quote by ArnaudJ
Ah but on lessons they say I need to U / D / U / D always... Never 2 Downs or Ups strokes...
:\

But no one really explained WHY I should do it...
I mean shredders or lessons insist in the fact that outside picking is good, always U/D/U/D picking is best,etc. ??!?!

Paul Gilbert uses the whole outside picking idea most because he finds it easiest, it's purely a comfort thing for him, he's also said that he prefers alternate picking because he finds it allows him more leeway for accents even though he's well aware that economy picking is more efficient.

There is no "best" way to pick, if you've practiced economy picking well you aren't holding yourself back at all but that does all hinge on the proviso that you're well practiced. While in theory economy picking is faster all you need to do is look at Rusty Cooley and Francesco Fareri to know that in reality if you get your economy of motion good they are equal in speed on similar scalar ideas.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Don't bump.

Lots of people recommend both ways. To be honest both systems are very useful - I personally just don't think "economy picking" is that different from alternate picking.

There are some situations where a sweep pickstroke makes life a lot easier and sounds better, and vice versa.
Quote by Freepower

There are some situations where a sweep pickstroke makes life a lot easier and sounds better, and vice versa.

+1000000000000000000

Quote by ArnaudJ

Why can't I play 4 or 2 notes per string with economy picking?

Two notes per string e 7 3 B 7 3 G 4 6 (Japanese example) you only can do v n v n v n or n v n v n v not n v v [n n ] v

so

Quote by gitahjunkie

Sure you can, It is just played the same way as alternate picking
Just thought I should say that you can play some 2nps ideas with economy picking but they do have to be kind of repeating across 2 strings, much like this pentatonic kind of thing:

e|-5-3-----7-5-----10-7------10b12-
b|-----5-3-----8-5------10-8-------
g|---------------------------------
d|---------------------------------
a|---------------------------------
e|---------------------------------

P--d-u-u-d-d-u-u-d-d--u-u--d-d-----

Beyond this sort of thing it's just including sweep strokes where you can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes this are some case
where a sweep pickstroke makes life a lot easier and sounds better, and vice versa
... by the way you can play this lick v n v n or n v n v if you want more accentuation and power.

But when you play 4 per string, this are no possible configuration ! Just find one

E5 6 7 8 A 4 5 6 7 D 3 4 5 6 G 2 3 4 5 B 2 3 4 5 e 1 2 3 4 5
or a four finger G Major scale
E 3 5 7 8 A 5 7 9 10 D 7 9 10 12 G 9 11 12 14 B 12 13 15 17 e 14 15 17 19 it's only n v n v ... or v n v n
Yes sorry E is for the string number 6 and e for the first one... it's long to made a real tab but here it is :

The chromatic from PC number 5
e|-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2------------------------------
b|---------------------------------------2-3-4-5---------------------6-5-4-3-------------------------
g|------------------------------2-3-4-5----------------------------------------6-5-4-3----------------
d|---------------------3-4-5-6-----------------------------------------------------------7-6-5-4------
a|-----------4-5-6-7------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e|-5-6-7-8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e|---------------------------------
b|---------------------------------
g|---------------------------------
d|---------------------------------
a|-8-7-6-5-----------------------
e|-----------9-8-7-6-5----------

And a home made exercise, G Major scale 4 fingers per string :

e|------------------------------------------------------------------14-15-17-19-----
b|--------------------------------------------------12-13-15-17---------------------
g|-----------------------------------9-11-12-14--------------------------------------
d|----------------------7-9-10-12-----------------------------------------------------
a|----------5-7-9-10-------------------------------------------------------------------
e|-3-5-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok thanks alot, cleared some things a bit, thank you very much !!!!!!

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
About economic picking, this are two more schools :
Micro Action I : play your alternate and mini sweep with thumb and index movement.
Micro Action II : play your alternate and mini sweep with wrist movement.
Have you ever eared about that ?
Quote by Venusio G.
About economic picking, this are two more schools :
Micro Action I : play your alternate and mini sweep with thumb and index movement.
Micro Action II : play your alternate and mini sweep with wrist movement.
Have you ever eared about that ?

No but I have found the answers to all my questions, I can pick really well, I just needed some practice and trust in myself.. lol..

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster