Soooo I've been having a little GAS lately, been looking for a white Telecaster and a 2x12 and maybe a valve head or two.

No luck on the Telecaster, but I came across a friend who had a white Stratocaster that he didn't play.
MIM, white-white-blond SSS.

Alright, so it's not a Telecaster, but it solves the jangly single coil GAS I've been having. And I got it for a song. I'm not joking.

SO on to the whole, um, cabinet and valve head issue. Well, it's not a 2x12 and it's not a small valve head like I wanted, butttt...

It IS a Blue Voodoo, and I did nearly steal it away.

Okay, now I know that these New Gear Day threads require some sort of review. So don't get upset, I didn't forget that.

For the Strat:
The neck is fast. Super duper awesome fast. Barely played, it seems like. Almost no fret wear.
Pots are a tad scratchy, but probably because the guy never touched it. The bridge was lifted when I got it, so I cranked it down. No worries. Cleaned it up, plays great.
Very jangly, it's my first single coil guitar. Sounds thinner than the big fat hairy humbuckers I'm used to, but it's a good sound. Great chimey cleans too! Very fun guitar to play.

For the Voodoo:
Cleans are enormous, and the amp seriously fills a room. Tons of mojo on this channel. Stick an OD in there and break them preamp t00bz up and off you go!
The Dirty channel feels very VERY bright, even with my big mahogany Les Paul driving it. I feel that if I dialed it in better or spent more time with it I could get a better tone from it, but I wasn't displeased. It likes to have the mids and the bass up, and not so much the treble. Presence control just enhances the upper mids and treble, and makes this amp EXTREMELY bright. Still sounds a treat, just very very bright.
The style of this amp is Sizzle... 6L6GC power tubes will do that though. Wait. Power tubes?
I looked inside a little closer at those big glass bottles inside the amp, and... wait... what's that say?
GT6L6GC+?
Those bitches are GrooveTubes!
Can't imagine what kind of preamp tubes are in there... the guy said he had to replace them at least once.

Obligatory Family Photos:

More pics available upon request.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
you, my friend, have a fantastic taste in gear.

Except for that acoustic V
Yeah, it sounds like a banjo to be honest, but it really turns heads and it sounds a lot better plugged in.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Noice. Except for the GT's. Give that monster some JJs!

BTW, how do you like that Jay Turser?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
It's thinner necked, and I don't remember what the stock pickups were like. The new pickups, however, are fantastic.
Very solid, smooth playing guitar.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
How does the Blue Voodoo compare to the 333?

Also I am digging the look of that Goldtop with the EMGs. I hope they're 18v modded.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Nice collection. I really like the Blue Voodoos.

HN...O...SD!

EDIT: +1 to the blue LEDs ^
Quote by forsaknazrael
So? Groove tubes aren't all that good. They're just rebranded Sovteks.

Happy NGD! Get to modding those Blue Voodoos, I personally dont like the stock tone.

I think that's what he was getting at. Or I might be giving too much credit

HNAD. I like the BVs.

But yeah, mod the shit out of it!
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
+ whatever to the leds. HNOSD

congrats on the strat and bv rig. not the usual pairing but
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
LED's FTW. do it

Nice stuff dude

Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Good stuff !!I recently got the same blue voodoo set up you have and really like it.Mine came with 4 6l6 ruby tubes with JJ 12ax7 pre amp tubes and I thought it sounded pretty good.I have since went with all JJ tubes and it really rip's,try some jj's.The voodoos get slammed cause it's a crate but it's a fine amp imo Crate does make some pretty crappy amps but the voodoo is not one of them.

Congrats and enjoy
Quote by stratman_13
I think that's what he was getting at. Or I might be giving too much credit

HNAD. I like the BVs.

But yeah, mod the shit out of it!

Truth be told I expected "Crate" branded tubes. I was shocked they had been replaced at all, ever.

Plan for tubes is to get a quad of JJ EL34s for the Bugera and run a quad of JJ 6L6s in the Voodoo. Of course, I can always put the JJ 6Ls in the Bugera later

As far as LEDs... it appears there is already some form of lighting system in around the tubes... unless those are some severely bright tube heaters. Shouldn't be hard to change the lights out for something more.. contemporary.
I was thinking more along the lines of a blacklight (I already have one lying around), but blue could be gangster as well.

Now as far as a tone comparison between the Voodoo and the 333.
The Voodoo is NOISY. My Bugera is dead silent even dimed if the guitar's volume is zero. The Voodoo just has noise all the time. I dunno if a noisegate would solve that. Maybe in the loop. We'll see.
As far as tone, the Voodoo is infinitely brighter than the Bugera.
There is also less gain on tap, it feels like.
In terms of raw volume, I feel like the Bugera is louder... But I dunno. I don't have them in the same room so I can't tell.
Plus it's closed 4x12 vs. open 2x12.... Potentially old tubes vs. newish tubes.
I dunno, too many variances to properly A/B them as far as the amp itself goes... plus carrying 90+lbs of amp around just to see which is louder seems... dumb.

I really like the sound of the Voodoo, especially with a Boss SD-1 infront of it with the level dimed and the gain zero'd... maybe roll the tone back to control the brightness. I dunno. I'll record it.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by polishedbullet
Also, I might put in some blue LEDs since one of them in mine is already dead.

..so was the thread...

I like your Epi Also HStuffD!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong