Currently I'm trying to play What A Horrible Night To Have a Curse by the Black Dahlia Murder, and during those fast ass gallops my thumb always hurts like crazy supporting the neck of my guitar. Maybe I'm holding my guitar wrong, maybe my thumb is bent the wrong way (right now the pad of my thumb is pressed against the back of the guitar neck with the rest of my thumb arcing away from my hand so i guess it puts a lot of stress on the thumb joint).

Could you guys watch my covers and see what's wrong with my technique? I am holding the whole guitar over my left knee becuase I heard that helps your fingering or something, especially for classical and metal style playing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/omegamuff1n
I think it's the way you're holding the guitar. It looks like your thumb is basically supporting the whole thing. You don't have to hold the guitar on the knee, it just depends on what is comfortable
Machine F**king Head \m/
Ok that's what I kind of thought...how exactly should I hold it then? My knee doesn't do much to support it, if I didn't use my thumb to hold it up a little then it would topple over. It's getting especially annoying during chords, for example during the chords near the top of the neck in Where Strides the Behemoth (right around where my light went out) idk if you can tell but I was dying cuz my thumb was in so much pain.
Your thumb shouldn't be supporting the guitar at all!

If you're doing this it means that you're creating tension in your hand- hence the pain.

You really need to find a position where the guitar is supported on your knee or by a strap- that'll take the stress off your hand.
put foot on a stool or something

Rest guitar on leg

Play

Thats what I do
btw you look mad bored in your videos xD
Hm I think I should just skip all that and play standing up, that's what real playing is anyway right? I never did that though, because it felt like the edge of my pick was perpendicular to the strings. Can you guys give tips for playing standing up?
"Real playing" doesn't really exist, I prefer to sit down. Try to put the guitar between your legs (so over your left leg), and get something to raise that leg with (like a footstand or something). That gives your guitar more support and takes away a lot of stress from your hands, not to mention having better access to the full neck without having to contort your body.
Quote by omegamuff1n
Hm I think I should just skip all that and play standing up, that's what real playing is anyway right? I never did that though, because it felt like the edge of my pick was perpendicular to the strings. Can you guys give tips for playing standing up?

Skipping something is usually a bad idea with guitar. You should learn proper ways to play standing and sitting.