ok so as i was watching the video for my last serenade i noticed that adam d was using a fender strat..i thought this was a big no-no for metal..can someone explain why he is using a strat for metal?
King of Shred

Gear:
ESP LTD F-500
Takemine G-340 Acoustic
Ibanez SR505
Ibanez GSR200
Line 6 Spider III 75
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
Laney GS412LA Cab
Peavey VK100
iron maiden.
that's why.
GEAR worth mentioning
GUITAR: XPT700 SOON AGILE INTERCEPTORPRO725
AMP: TRAYNOR YCV50BLUE
EFFECTS: BOSS ME-50 | MXR-109 6-Band Graphic EQ
because he can, dont be guitar racist, I hate strats IMO but they sound fine for metal, i prefer teles, they're by far soooo underrated, but they dont sound good distiorted IMO, but those cleans... damn
Eh.
Quote by char_107
iron maiden.
that's why.

Those are humbuckers I believe, not a standard Strat
Quote by pwrmax

Fender custom shop, you can get HSH strats

*EDIT*
or you can just get
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0118802806
dave murray signature strat?
GEAR worth mentioning
GUITAR: XPT700 SOON AGILE INTERCEPTORPRO725
AMP: TRAYNOR YCV50BLUE
EFFECTS: BOSS ME-50 | MXR-109 6-Band Graphic EQ
Last edited by char_107 at Jun 6, 2010,
Cause Strats are awesome thats why.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Because he likes them.If you like a tele and play metal, play telemetal.

There are no "rules" about what you have to use for your genre. The only people who use such rules are doing nothing but making asses of themselves and restricting their ability to get sounds other than their genre's generic tone.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Have a look at the "you got another thing coming" video by Judas Priest. KK & Glenn are both playing strats.

You don't need a pointy guitar with EMGs to play metal.
good point i did forget iron maiden did use strats..and i thought he was using single coil pickups so thats y i was confused
King of Shred

Gear:
ESP LTD F-500
Takemine G-340 Acoustic
Ibanez SR505
Ibanez GSR200
Line 6 Spider III 75
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
Laney GS412LA Cab
Peavey VK100
Quote by pwrmax

it's still a strat

a lot of metal players use them too. of course, they're not playing extreme metal, but it's still metal dude...as long as you have a good noise gate, a good amp with plenty of gain, and maybe an overdrive, you will have a great metal sound, with almost any guitar

I support the guy who posted about john 5 and the rules i have no way of going back to check your username and return to edit again because my internet is laggy D:
hello

n.n
Last edited by BusterSword at Jun 6, 2010,
Strats can do metal.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Its not the guitar you have to worry about, its the pickups. Single coils in a strat will sound terrible for metal imo. But a rails or humbucker will be fine.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Any guitar can do anything.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
That's not true I point at my guitars and yell "come hither my best." And it doesn't do a damn thing.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
to whoever said iron maiden... correct!

any guitar can really play any genre. i've seen a few guitarists play heavy music with strats. using a hollow body would harder, but still possible (and i've seen that done too). it's up to you what your guitar does!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Yingwe Malmsteen uses a Strat with three single coil pickups. That should be metal enough for you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Yingwe Malmsteen uses a Strat with three single coil pickups. That should be metal enough for you.

good point, i always forget about him. paul gilbert's new ibanez has singles in it too, in a strat design. not nearly a strat, but the pickups are pretty strat-like (although they're hum canceling dimarzios)

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
I think OP was referring to more modern metal, as opposed to the more classic iron maiden style metal which is not quite as heavy.
well the main thing to point out would be that the video isn't where they record the song.

I can't believe there have been 23 posts and no-one yet pointed this out. He could be using anything on the record.

Quote by JoePerry4life
Its not the guitar you have to worry about, its the pickups. Single coils in a strat will sound terrible for metal imo. But a rails or humbucker will be fine.

+1

Quote by BusterSword
it's still a strat

way to fail guitar. the problem with a strat for metal isn't the fact it's a strat, it's the fact it has low output single coils (in more vintage versions, anyway). Heck superstrats are basically strats with a humbucker attached, pretty much all 80s metal was recorded with superstrats.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
First of all, Telecasters suck for metal. They sound like shit, and sound even shittier distorted. You know John 5? Well, he may be able to play quickly, but his tone blows, and it's because he plays with a Telecaster. On an un-related note, that fool plays without his pinky finger, and you can tell that it's holding him back.

In any case, I play a custom strat style SSH guitar, but I'm rocking some SA/SA/89 active EMG pickups, so I can play pretty much anything I want through them and they still sound disgusting distorted.

i can't believe this, the first 'worcester metaller' i ever see on UG and he's saying someone else's tone blows (edit: dammit, i thought you were from worcester in england near where i live, where people make horrible metal with the worst tones they can possibly find from marshall MG stacks - my mistake )

you can use whatever guitar you want to for whatever style. if someone else thinks that's wrong, and says it's shit, as though their opinion is gospel truth, then their opinion does not matter.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
First of all, Telecasters suck for metal. They sound like shit, and sound even shittier distorted. You know John 5? Well, he may be able to play quickly, but his tone blows, and it's because he plays with a Telecaster. On an un-related note, that fool plays without his pinky finger, and you can tell that it's holding him back.

In any case, I play a custom strat style SSH guitar, but I'm rocking some SA/SA/89 active EMG pickups, so I can play pretty much anything I want through them and they still sound disgusting distorted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK7oHgmv7M

Not my ideal tone, but still "disgusting distorted"

Go away troll.

Also, Ralph Santolla, Iron Maiden, Wintersun, John 5, Yngwie Malmsteen
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I don't understand the whole thing about people thinking you have to have a black spiky guitar to play metal!?!? Heck, I have an orange strat (With Humbuckers though) and can play some pretty brutal metal with it. I prefer the classic looking guitars to the spiky ugly things that most metal bands use nowadays.
Heh, no, I'm from Mass.

And I only have a thing against John 5 because it seems as if he's trying as hard as he possibly can to be as unique as possible - not for the sake of self-expression, but simply for the sake of being more unique than everybody else. I mean, the guy is trying to fuse metal with bluegrass. I can imagine him sitting down one day and thinking "Okay, what two genres can I combine for the sake of being the most obscure?". And, I don't know, that just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like uniqueness should come from a more organic sort of source.

I also watched a video of the guy doing an interview and a guitar demonstration, and he was chewing gum the entire time. It just seemed like a largely unprofessional thing to do - I tend to hold myself to high standards when I'm preforming in front of anybody, and it seemed sort of disrespectful.

Quote by Dopey_Trout
"Go away troll."

In any case, I'm sorry for my apparent trollishness, but it was hard to help keeping my mouth shut about the guy. I'll be less douchy in the future.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
Yngwie's tone is more like early 80s metal tone, not modern day metal tone. Yes you can use a Standard Strat to get a passable metal tone, but it will sound much more metal if you use say an Ibanez RG with DiMarzio pups.
edit:
wow.
Why doesn't anyone EVER do a quick google search?

"Before using a Caparison guitar he used a Fender Stratocaster with a Twin blade humbucker that replaced the single coil on the bridge"

Seriously, I found it in less than 10 seconds.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 7, 2010,
saying a "certain" guitar isnt metal sounds pointless(at least to me)..just because they dont look like weapons and doesnt have pointy edges that can kill people,it does not make them "bad" for metal..If you have the right pups and the right wood,it would be killer for metal..
Quote by Dave_Mc
the problem with a strat for metal isn't the fact it's a strat, it's the fact it has low output single coils

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

malmsteen's pickups are extremely low output. i think i heard him say somewhere that it's all about the amp, and the low output really lets the amp shine. anyway, i'd consider those exercises "metal" and i thought it sounded pretty damn good. i don't know why so many people in this thread are so upset that strats and telecasters can do metal (and have before!)

PS: not you, Dave Mc. i just quoted you about the low output thing. he has a pickup set from a new company (not dimarzio anymore) but i can't remember who. maybe SD. but either way you can still get on dimarzio's website and listen to his old set. they're the lowest output in the "hum cancelling strat pickups" section

I've honestly never understood the hate for Strats in metal. Mark Briody from Jag Panzer uses one and his tone is really crunchy, and I honestly found my buddy's Squier Strat(not sure what kind, it was $400 and it's black sunburst, that's about all I know) and the American Fender Strat I played both blew the Ibanez RGs(a GRG and some indigo one) I've played out of the water, even for metal. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
American Fender Strat I played both blew the Ibanez RGs(a GRG and some indigo one) I've played out of the water, even for metal. o_o

best comparison in the world..GRG vs american strat..yeah right!
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

malmsteen's pickups are extremely low output. i think i heard him say somewhere that it's all about the amp, and the low output really lets the amp shine. anyway, i'd consider those exercises "metal" and i thought it sounded pretty damn good. i don't know why so many people in this thread are so upset that strats and telecasters can do metal (and have before!)

PS: not you, Dave Mc. i just quoted you about the low output thing. he has a pickup set from a new company (not dimarzio anymore) but i can't remember who. maybe SD. but either way you can still get on dimarzio's website and listen to his old set. they're the lowest output in the "hum cancelling strat pickups" section

oh yeah, i mean i know malmsteen uses low output single coils, but the vast majority of metal players use humbuckers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by archenemyfan
best comparison in the world..GRG vs american strat..yeah right!

I played an actual RG though too. And even the Squier was better than that. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
I played an actual RG though too. And even the Squier was better than that. o_o

then i think you played 2 duds... or they're just not for you i've had a ton of RGs, and would take them over almost any squier. there are a few fenders i would kill to have, but there are very few squiers i would have traded my RG570 for.