I notice that i've had this problem were if I have a friend or relative come over and they see that i play guitar and they ask let me hear you play i always seem to get nervous and don't know what so i end up playing some scales or some really simple song like Master of puppets or Crazy train could you help me how to fix this problem?
After they hear my play i want them to go wow ! your really good!
Donnell McKnignt
yes. learn Flight of the Bumblebee.
have a cup of concrete.
play flight of the bumblebee.
wow the pants of your guest
make of list of songs to play when someone asks you to play something
if your biggest problem is confidence it would help you to play more around people
for me i think nothing of it or them. I simply play what I normally do, without thinking of any type of judgement. But then again I'm humble and I seek no praise for my musicianship.
just play them a minor pentatonic lick. play it fast with lots of hammer-ons and maybe a bit of tapping. i like Am, but i think you can get a bunch of cool sounding pinch harmonics in F#m.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
if a good guitarist played a "simple song" like master of puppets or crazy train, he could make it sound as though he doesn't even need the band behind him (until it starts to get repetitive, of course).

i'm not being a douche. what i'm saying is - if you're not really good, don't expect to get called really good. be realistic. if you ARE really good, then just get more comfortable playing around people. that's the whole situation in a nutshell, really.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
pick one song that you like, and learn to play it well. That's all there is to it, really.

Just as long as the song isn't 4 chords...I would recommend trying to play a song above your difficulty range. (within reason though, no Super-shred songs) Start slow, at a point where you can play without making mistakes. Then go over the song 5 times at that speed. Then bump up the metronome 5-10 bpm and practice it until you have it perfect. once you have it perfect, do it 5 more times, then bump up the metronome and do it again, until its the speed of the song. Sounds silly and repetitive, but trust me, it works, and it works well. You will be amazed.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by AeolianWolf
if a good guitarist played a "simple song" like master of puppets or crazy train, he could make it sound as though he doesn't even need the band behind him (until it starts to get repetitive, of course).

i'm not being a douche. what i'm saying is - if you're not really good, don't expect to get called really good. be realistic. if you ARE really good, then just get more comfortable playing around people. that's the whole situation in a nutshell, really.

+1

it doesnt hurt to play to the audience either.
What AeolianWolf said. Most people can tell the difference between a good guitarist playing a simple song and an okay guitarist playing a simple song.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Feeling comfortable playing in front of people just takes time. I used to have trouble doing the same, even when my parents would be walking past, not paying attention.

Now, I live in a house where people are in my room all the time, so I've been forced to practice in front of people almost constantly. After months of that, I've come to the point where I'm not even nervous when there's a cute girl sitting there listening.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by DonnellMcKnight
I notice that i've had this problem were if I have a friend or relative come over and they see that i play guitar and they ask let me hear you play i always seem to get nervous and don't know what so i end up playing some scales or some really simple song like Master of puppets or Crazy train could you help me how to fix this problem?

it's not a problem.... .it's normal

Enjoy playing and be confident in yourself. it doesn't really matter what they think.
shred is gaudy music
that happens with everything, not just guitar. your just putting pressure on yourself. for me, it seems to help if i think of it as sharing a hobby with them as opposed to just playing alone. that way its a positive instead of something to worry about
id just think of the best solo i know and play it
for confidence all it is is a tall hurdle
you just have to clear your mind and jump
Quote by DonnellMcKnight

I'm not sure why you're describing Crazy Train or Master of Puppets as "simple songs". Is this an attempt to be hardcore? Well it's not working.

If you really want to impress your parents/friends, learn songs that they would know, and play it to them. Same goes for any audience. The average person will be more impressed by Wonderwall or Time of your Life than "simple songs" like Master of Puppets, Crazy Train, or random pentatonic licks.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not sure why you're describing Crazy Train or Master of Puppets as "simple songs". Is this an attempt to be hardcore? Well it's not working.

If you really want to impress your parents/friends, learn songs that they would know, and play it to them. Same goes for any audience. The average person will be more impressed by Wonderwall or Time of your Life than "simple songs" like Master of Puppets, Crazy Train, or random pentatonic licks.

Good Riddance!!!!!

What people have said already looks good so I'm just going to +1 it...
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
This, at the base of the problem is ego. What is the consequence if you play badly? Your friend might think you not as good as you otherwise may be. Which is a fair enough fear.

A interesting little fact, the mind cannot tell the difference between a real and an imagined fear, so when you have a fear of not playing well, your mind cannot tell the difference between that fear and the fear of say, jumping over a cliff, or being chased by a threat. Your body goes into fight or flight mode, which tenses up your muscles and increases your heart rate, which may do great for outrunning a threating persuer, but does balls for helping you play guitar better, in fact it works against it. When you play you want to be relaxed (increased heart rate and tensing of the muscles go against this).

One interesting thing to think about is that you don't need to play well for your freind. You may want to but if it doesn't happen, you'd get over it, right? If you adopt the attitude of wanting to play good, but not needing to, that there's less pressure and less fear about not playing well, and chances are that you may actually play better (because of the things we've already talked about) what you have to discover is that it's not really important for you to play well, not compared to the fact that it is important for you to breathe, to have shelter, food, and clothes to wear, to be free of pain. Music is just the icing on the cake, and realising this takes away the fear of not playign well, and actually allows you to play better.

If you actually bother to read this wall of text, I hope it helps you