I want to start teaching guitar lessons, just as a side job over the summer, for gas money or whatever. I plan on just teaching in my house, if that matters at all.

I have been playing guitar for 7 or 8 odd years, so I feel more than qualified to teach someone who hasn't played guitar a day in their life. But I don't know if certain theories should be taught when the guitarist is a beginner, etc.

Basically, what I want is help creating a sort of "regimen" for teaching, like an order to teaching things, when, and how long to go over certain things, etc. I'm not asking for someone to give me all the answers, I'm just asking for useful tips. Thanks
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
well i suggest you start with a few easy songs so they could have fun with their instrument
the first part is very important because nothing will make a student leave you faster then if they arent enjoying the instrument
and then teach them some chords and strumming patterns and give them some exersices
i don tteach them thoery until they can play with some fluency
theres no point in teaching them that an C chord has c,e,g as notes and that they are the first third and fifth if they cant play it am i right
I understand what you're saying, yeah. I'll keep that in mind
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
yea make sure the students enjoying playing otherwise theyll be more inclined to quit.

for the first lesson ask them what kind of music they want to play, maybe show them how to play a couple of chords, and explain the notes each string makes open. also make sure they now how to tune it.
Last edited by rickyj at Jun 7, 2010,
if you dont know where to start teaching or in what order your probably not ready.

there is no 1 specific teaching "regimen"
people need taught individually based on their needs. the teacher is supposed to adapt the lessons accordingly as best suited for that individual as they progress.
Last edited by Coagulation at Jun 7, 2010,
It would help if you told us what you were planning on teaching people in the first place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rickyj
yea make sure the students enjoying playing otherwise theyll be more inclined to quit.

I disagree with this sentiment. If you're willing to give up so easily, you weren't meant to do it in the first place.

Ride 'em as hard as you can, TS, and make sure they practice at least eight hours a day, every day, including weekends.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by Chylyn
I disagree with this sentiment. If you're willing to give up so easily, you weren't meant to do it in the first place.

Ride 'em as hard as you can, TS, and make sure they practice at least eight hours a day, every day, including weekends.

Yeah... cos riding them hard and getting them to play 8 hours a day is so fair and encouraging... and at least 8 hours? Sheesh... thats rather harsh too... no quitting there... definitely.

I mean I'm strict in certain things... but that would be pushing it... and what if they don't like the riding part? Some parents might get pretty upset about that one... Child protection services too... sis... shame on you!
Start with basic technique, as in one note at a time. Then teach them the campfire chords. From there I go on what they want to do. If they want to solo then I teach them a few scales and excercises. If they just want to strum some tunes I teach them a couple more chords and the theory behind them. If they are metalheads I teach them powerchords, diminished dyads and proper palm muting technique.

Couple of notes from experience.

ALWAYS give them something to practice between lessons.

If they don't improve between lessons, don't get mad. This can be the most annoying thing in the world, but you just have to think about it as free money, since you can give them the same lesson every week.
Quote by evolucian
:waaah:

Yeahk, so you'll be stuck with a bunch of students who aren't really interested in guitar. Sounds good to me, whatever.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog