Hey guys,

So, I graduate from High School on Friday, and as a grad gift I'm getting THIS guitar.

So, I love the look of it and everything, but I didn't have much chance to play it in person.

I know that I'll have to switch out the Pups (thinking John Petrucci Sigs in the Bridge and Neck, and a Heavy Blues 2 in the mid), but I want to know what UG thinks of this guitar. How is the ZR trem? Does it have good tuning stability? Is the guitar unbalanced? Like, is the neck WAY heavier than the body?

Anyway, just please leave some comments that I can mull over. I'll have the NGD up with a pics and review as soon as I can!

Thanks in advance,

-Sean
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
the ZR trem is amazing

source: I have had a S320 since they launched (was one of the first people on UG to get one).

Unfortunately, I've never played any of the newer 24 fret ones, so I can't comment on weight, but on my 22 fret I've never had any issues.

As for pups, I can't comment on your selection, but this is one of those guitars where a pickup swap really makes a huge difference (I have another Ibanez that, while I'm going to do a pickup swap eventually, is actually really good stock).

Hopefully this helps. (trying it out is always going to be your best option though).
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Thank you very much. That gets rid of my biggest concern. My last Ibanez was an RG350 with an Edge III trem...

I loved the way it felt and played, it just wouldn't freakin' stay in tune!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Thank you very much. That gets rid of my biggest concern. My last Ibanez was an RG350 with an Edge III trem...

I loved the way it felt and played, it just wouldn't freakin' stay in tune!

Yeah edge III's are garbage.

You should know that the ZR doesn't have as much range as the Edge III though (because the S series has a more shallow trem cavity).
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Quote by rlheart
Yeah edge III's are garbage.

You should know that the ZR doesn't have as much range as the Edge III though (because the S series has a more shallow trem cavity).
Oh, I don't need a ton of range, so I'm not too worried about that.
Quote by rmr024

i actually have the s470dxqm, so im pretty familiar with this. on mine at least, ive noticed it doesnt have the greatest sustain, but whenever you have a floyd rose/whatever ibanez does your going to lose that, as well as having an extremely thin body. like seriously, from your post i took you havent played it, but just know that its thinner than an SG, which for me, took a little bit of getting used to. and certainly swap out the pups, the one s on mine were horrible, and once i threw some duncans in it really woke up.

the ZR is an incredible trem system. its smooth as can be, extremely stable tuning, and it has a thumbscrew in the back to adjust spring tension when you change strings, making it 99% easier to do. i was able to change from playing in standard with .10s to playing drop C with .13s i believe and it took no longer to change strings than it does with a guitar w/o a floyd. you will enjoy it

also, congrats on graduating! i hope you enjoy it!
NOPE
Quote by Nakon14
i actually have the s470dxqm, so im pretty familiar with this. on mine at least, ive noticed it doesnt have the greatest sustain, but whenever you have a floyd rose/whatever ibanez does your going to lose that, as well as having an extremely thin body. like seriously, from your post i took you havent played it, but just know that its thinner than an SG, which for me, took a little bit of getting used to. and certainly swap out the pups, the one s on mine were horrible, and once i threw some duncans in it really woke up.

the ZR is an incredible trem system. its smooth as can be, extremely stable tuning, and it has a thumbscrew in the back to adjust spring tension when you change strings, making it 99% easier to do. i was able to change from playing in standard with .10s to playing drop C with .13s i believe and it took no longer to change strings than it does with a guitar w/o a floyd. you will enjoy it

also, congrats on graduating! i hope you enjoy it!

Thank you very much!

Anyway, I had heard about the sustain thingy...I guess if you lower the middle pickup a bit it helps. I've played guitars in the S-Series before, so I know how thin they are...I like it!

Anyway, I know this guitar will take a little work, but I think with a pickup swap and recessing the middle pup a bit, it could become my main axe!
Quote by rmr024

Haha, same thing for me. I just graduated and my parents ordered me an Ibanez S770pb as a grad present. I would have gotten the exact one you're looking at but Guitar Center landed me a deal and I got it for way cheap. It ships tomorrow! Can't wait to play it.

Also, the picture is a bit misleading, here's what it really looks like:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/images/2010/053.JPG
And a video of it being played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuYCIViPOxc

Notice how it doesn't look like it does in stock photos, but I still like it a lot.

edit:
Aw man.. I just checked and they changed the date. It won't be in stock til the 15th... and then they'll probably bump it up again. I feel like I'll never get this guitar.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 8, 2010,
i actually got one of these for free from a friend a few months ago. my thread title was exactly the same as yours xD

i think its a fabulous guitar. the trem is great, and can coax some great tones. the finish is really beautiful. its a great one, you cant go wrong.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I is sad. Turns out I'm getting the black one.

Bright blue was backordered on the site I wanted it from, so I had to switch to the other one.

Anywhoo, I think it still looks pretty sweet.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Thank you very much!

Anyway, I had heard about the sustain thingy...I guess if you lower the middle pickup a bit it helps. I've played guitars in the S-Series before, so I know how thin they are...I like it!

Anyway, I know this guitar will take a little work, but I think with a pickup swap and recessing the middle pup a bit, it could become my main axe!

no problem!

i just straight took the middle pickup out, because A) it got in the way of my picking and B i didnt want to buy a new SC for a position i never use. i kept the same switch thats in, and if i toggle really fast with it it makes a pretty cool stutter sound with the empty spot in the middle.

and the pictures are pretty misleading as well, i wish it looked as gorgeous as it does online, but its still a pretty BAMF looking guitar
NOPE
anyone know what the difference between the S520 and the S570 is, apart from the colours available? The S570 is £50 more where im at, and i can't really see any difference apart from the S570 being available in blue burst or transparent grey burst
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.