Page 1 of 4
i'd be down for this. i'd probably not play guitar on it. just bass, clarinet and maybe banjo/ukulele.

but would anyone want to do a strictly jazz album? i could never organize such a thing. just an idea. seems like blues/jazz always leans toward the former.
#DTWD
I'd absolutely be up for it, I'd be happy to contribute sax parts. I like the idea of doing some standards, but of course that would rule out selling it. Then again, I think the unfortunate lack of interest in the previous J&B album would rule that out as an option anyway. It'd still be great to do though

I would love to hear it, I don't think I'm skilled enough at playing jazz yet, but it would be awesome to hear if it gets done.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Heh. I'd be up for Giant Steps if somone other than myself can play over it (beacuse I can't) it also depends what tempo we do it at. I made the mistake of playing this for my uni audition, and it was a complete faliure. I was accepted, but I would have been much better of doing a simpler standard that I could do well. To this day I still can't really play over it, I have a great book that goes through approaches over Giant Steps, starting of with the 1235 approach on each chord and expanding that idea with approaches and stuff. How would you feel about doing Have You Met Miss Jones? The A section is just

Fmaj7 F#dim7 Gm7 C7 Am7 D7 Gm7 C7 Fmaj7 F#dim7 Gm7 C7 Am7 D7 Cm7 F7

Than the crazy Coltrane Changes bit
I'd like to record All the Things You Are, I love that tune. Giant steps is a great idea too, I've been studying the progression with my teacher. I understand how it works and how to apply it, I'm not sure how fast I can do it but if you guys are up for it I'd have a crack at it. I like using the substitutions over ii-V-I's as well, the progression sounds so hip
EDIT: Blue Bossa is another great possibility.

Last edited by pangui at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by pangui
I like using the substitutions over ii-V-I's as well

Like altered over the V?
Quote by jesse music
I don't know how many of you guys have looked at this

Personally I have never been able to get any sucsess out of this

While the augmented scale does work over it, it sounds like shit.
Personally, I understand the concept, but I've never been able to get anything out of that approach. Nice theory, makes "theoretical" sense, but its never been any use to me in practice.

I think the best lesson book for Giant Steps is this book

Goes through the basic 1235 and than goes into ever more harmonically complex patterns.

While Giant Steps is a great tune, and I love it don't get me wrong. But its very hard to play outside on a tune like that as opposed to a more modal tune. The tonal centers are changing so fast that there is barley enough room to play a musical idea let along play something outside or non-diatonic over each chord.

If we could get going a list of people who want to participate, and a set list, that would be a great start

Something like

All The Things You Are
Blue Bossa
Stella By Starlight
Round Midnight
Tenor Madness
Black Orpheus
Have You Met Miss Jones
Beautiful Love
Body & Soul
Bluesette
Misty
Corcovado
So What/Impressions
Solar
Song For My Father

Any selection of those, if we could get a poll going

I'd love to do a bebop tune, but about the only one I can really play up to tempo is scrapple from the apple. Im not really very good a bebop
Last edited by jesse music at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Zomby Woof
Like altered over the V?

Not quite, the Giant Steps progression is a substitution for the entire ii-V-I turnaround, it's difficult to explain in words, but helps to explain it... if you read the whole thing it should make some more sense.

Ive read this document before.

Cool concept. Cycling through the ii - V - I's in keys a major third apart over a normal ii - V - I as a way of playing "out". Im amazed at just how much of a musical innovator Coltrane was. Unfortunatley his wife is eclipsed by his amazing talent, I found Alice Coltrane (his wife) to be a superb musician.

Some of the stuff off Journey In Satchindananda is really beautiful music, Pharaoh Sanders is brilliant on these sessions as well.

Not long ago I brought a really beautiful 4-disc Coltrane set entitled 'Early Trane' going through his formative years. It also contained a 42 page booklet talking about him. One part I read really struck me as something I would love people to be able to say about me, and something that I want to strive for

"Coltrane's final years were characterized by his obsessive striving for a musical ideal, his unflagging support for young avant-garde musicians, his peaceful demeanour and his passionate religeous convictions"

And in case you be thinkin' we're all a bunch o' jazz snobs here, two of jazz's greatest luminaries, Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, were very passionate about classical music, both site Stravinsky as an influence.
Last edited by jesse music at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by pangui
Not quite, the Giant Steps progression is a substitution for the entire ii-V-I turnaround, it's difficult to explain in words, but helps to explain it... if you read the whole thing it should make some more sense.

I knew that, he based it of Miles' tune "Tune up." I thought you meant another type of substitution.
Quote by Zomby Woof
I knew that, he based it of Miles' tune "Tune up." I thought you meant another type of substitution.

No, he based Countdown off of Tune Up, not Giant Steps.
12 fret fury
Great idea. Since I'm about as good at playing jazz as I am at speaking Greek, I'll let you guys doing the playing, but I'm happy to assist/facilitate this in any way I can. Just let me know.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by jesse music
I'd really like to get started with this project. Idk if it would work best just getting started with one tune, mabey Blue Bossa and get a list of people who want to do that tune, what instruments we can get, what key etc. and do it!

Alright I'd be up for playing sax, I'd say the original key would be the best option (C minor). Once there's enough people it'll be great to do!

Good stuff getting back to this. Blue Bossa it is, C minor, want to pick a tempo? 120 seems pretty comfortable for a bossa. I'll try and get the chords taken care of, if you want to play sax for the melody, and prehaps someone else around here can play bass (I could do it, but Im not a bass player). I'll try and get that backing track up ASAP. I have a cheap crappy home mike, but I think a freind of mine has much better recording capabilities, so I'll try for the later.
Last edited by jesse music at Jun 23, 2010,
I'm up for some jazz, jesse music. I can do guitar, bass, and/or drums.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
I could do drums as well by the way if no one else is up for it, I've got a decent mic to record with too. And yeah 120 is cool, if you want to record the guitar first to a click track just so we have something to build everything around that'd be cool.
Any thought as to how many choruses the solos will go for and how many solos there will be?

That was the next question I was going to ask. I don't know how many choruses you would take. I'd only take 1 or 2 at the max. Also, do you play soprano alto or tenor, just so I know. If we can get a list of people who want to solo, you obviously and me, and anyone else. Also, as far as drums go, Im not really aware of classic "bossa" drumbeats. If anyone else can help out in this aspect that would be great. Would you do anything while others solo? Like guide tone lines or something? Im not really all that aware of the role of a sax in jazz, but either guide tone lines or fills would work really nice. I'll also put up the changes here, in case anyone else wants to have a shot.

Cmin | Cmin | Fmin7 | Bb7 | Dmin7b5 | G7alt | Cmin | Cmin
Ebmin7| Ab7 | Dbmaj7 | Dbmaj7| Dmin7b5 | G7alt | Cmin | Cmin

I might also do an intro (8 bar say)

Update: I've recorded a backing track. The form is 1x through head, 4x through solos 1x through head + coda

Sorry to all if the recording quality (and the playing quality) isn't the best standard (the rhythm of the backing track gets a bit dodgy near the end, hope you will forgive). This is by no means a finished product, just something to get this project started.

The recording is in my profile.
Last edited by jesse music at Jun 24, 2010,
Yeah, I know that tune.

The recording is good but I think we should lay down a rhythm section (drums and bass) to play over first. I'm happy to do a rhythm section track.

By the way can anyone play piano?
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Jun 24, 2010,
I would'nt class fusion as a non-possibility. The only problem with fusion tunes is that there are a lot more standards in jazz, and by standards I mean simply notated tunes, that anyone can learn and play. I don't know if there's a lot of that common langauge that their is in jazz.
What fusion tunes would you be suggesting? Something by Weather Report, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu? Anything by Mahavishnu would be too complicated to do over the net.
We could do some simple funk-fusion tune like Chameleon or The Chicken. Those would be easy to jam over on the internet.
The Chicken would be a sweet idea. Pee Wee Ellis! Also, I'd certianly be up for chameleon. You ever heard Guthrie Govan playing over The Chicken fantastic and frightening stuff! That sax players the shizzle as well

I don't know if those band hits would be hard to get over the net. If not everyones got a chart, I've got one I can send around
Quote by jesse music
That was the next question I was going to ask. I don't know how many choruses you would take. I'd only take 1 or 2 at the max. Also, do you play soprano alto or tenor, just so I know. If we can get a list of people who want to solo, you obviously and me, and anyone else. Also, as far as drums go, Im not really aware of classic "bossa" drumbeats. If anyone else can help out in this aspect that would be great. Would you do anything while others solo? Like guide tone lines or something? Im not really all that aware of the role of a sax in jazz, but either guide tone lines or fills would work really nice. I'll also put up the changes here, in case anyone else wants to have a shot.

Yeah I'd be happy to do two choruses, my regular horn is alto but I also have a soprano & tenor which I could use. I could do guide tones, but when we get around to recording it'll be best to see what the whole thing sounds like without them first, they mightn't be needed
The backing you posted sounds good but I agree with guitarplaya322 when he says we should record bass+drums before any solos are done. Just so you know, I won't be able to access a computer for the next week so I'll check back in next saturday. Cheers!

Alright, I'll make a backing track for Chameleon first. Is that good?
Maybe I'll just do Blue Bossa before we try the fusion stuff. I just need to know everyone who wants to jam on it. I'm thinking 2 choruses each??
If you do The Chicken or Chameleon I would like to play Saxophone (Soprano or Alto) but I dont really like Blue Bossa...
I won't be participating with the actual music. Just helping in any way I can.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Page 1 of 4