Hi im looking for an amp under $300 US. right now i have a epiphone les paul classic. I play mostly rock metal classic rock and little jazz. The amp i have right now is a marshall MG 10 so just looking for an upgrade. My friend recommended to buy a line 6 spider III or IV. need advice.
id have a look into the Peavey Vypyr, the roland cube and the Vox VT (not great for metal) series first before even thinking about trying a spider out.

i presume you dont gig as your playing with a 10W MG so if you can find one cheap enough you may be able to get a low wattage valve amp but most of the smaller ones would also need a pedal to get a great metal sound.

personally i would try the Vypyr as i think it covers what you play the best (i prefered it to the cube and i dont think the VT will meet your 'metal' needs).

either way 90%+ of the amps available to you will be an upgrade to your MG
Check out the line 6 spider's for sure, they have awesome effects on them. I got one myself, and I really cant see why people on here bash that thing so much.

Tl;dr

Line6 Spider IV. Do it.
Quote by cheesefrog
Check out the line 6 spider's for sure, they have awesome effects on them. I got one myself, and I really cant see why people on here bash that thing so much.

Tl;dr

Line6 Spider IV. Do it.

No. Look at the Vypyr.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
The Vox VT can do metal quite well actually, it has a few decent metal channels and takes pedals extremely well, so if you invested in a decent distortion the Vox would take it well.

If you want a cheapish valve amp, and don't mind getting a distortion pedal to do metal with, invest in the Vox AC4 head and cab, because then you can use bigger cabs to gig with etc.