View poll results: ????
Biological Childbirth
62 75%
Adoption
10 12%
Don't feel compelled to have kids at all
11 13%
Voters: 83.
K Pit, (hypothetically) you and your partner have decided to raise a child. Do you have a preference towards having a biological child, or for adopting?

From discussing this topic with people irl I have found that almost everyone (the only exception so far being myself) has a strong preference for biological childbirth over adopting, regardless of whether they find it logical or not. So I guess I'm trying to appeal to a wider audience here to see if anyone else feels the same as me or whether I'm just missing some fundamental piece of DNA that compels me to pass on my genes.

Post your why/why not's and discuss away!
Apparently having a child is one of the best feelings you can experience. Bringing up a child without experiencing that is like paying for someone else's hooker.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I really want to adopt. I'm not sure if I want biological children but I know I want to adopt.

It just makes sense... rather than overpopulating the world more and giving a child who doesnt exist a good life, to adopt a child who needs a family and a good home.
I would love for my children to be my biological children, but if it turns out that myself and my partner are unable to conceive, I'd be more than willing to adopt.

I can't really explain why I would prefer a biological legacy, other than for selfish reasons I suppose, like continuing the "family name" etc.

Adoption - it's a great way to have a kid, without having sex!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Jun 7, 2010,
If you adopt youre not really related with the kid,when you give birth to one you know hes gonna be a bit like you, the feeling knowing that he will grow and that hes yours is amazing.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by suckersdream
It just makes sense... rather than overpopulating the world more and giving a child who doesnt exist a good life, to adopt a child who needs a family and a good home.

it makes perfect sense for most people to want biological children because that's as personal of a possession (poor word choice) one could possibly share with their spouse. you make more sense, but the self always comes first.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by suckersdream

Yeah that's pretty much my reasoning... and surely skipping the many pains of pregnancy, actual childbirth and the first few months post-birth without any sleep etc. would be a good thing too.
I'll probably adopt, because I want my kids to be mine and my husband's, and not have to share them with a mother. Selfish perhaps, but I want them to have one family, not be carted around between parents.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Its a natural drive to have your own childeren and the need to reproduce. Since mankind has lost toch with its instincts and acts on the basis of ratio, people stray away from the need to have kids or the need to have their own kids.

I for one do prefer a biological child. Mainly because I have bitching genes to pass on lol.
No but I just want a child that is really mine. a part of me. After having 1 biological child i would not mind adopting another.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Biological, because is physically is your child, but adoption if it doesn't work out. It would probably be better for the woman in the partnership to have a biological child.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Last edited by SlipknotRule93 at Jun 7, 2010,
I'd like to have my own children. That said, if for some reason my partner and I couldn't have our own, I'd be happy to adopt.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by levi.lydat
adopt.
vagina's are always wet, do not want.

"It goes on and on and on, Heaven and Hell."
R.I.P Ronnie James Dio
Quote by metacarpi
Adoption - it's a great way to have a kid, without having sex!

futurama win.

as the only male with my last name, i feel compelled to carry on the lineage. that's why i prefer biological children over adopted ones.

but who's to say i can't have both?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I don't really feel compulsion to breed, but I'd lean towards the normal way if the choice had to be made.
Mostly because I know fine well I'm a total git, and might find it easier to form a bond with my own squalling bundle of puke than someone else's.
I'd like to do both, but I think I'd prefer to adopt, at least at first. There are so many kids out there who don't have parents...

And besides, who needs 9 months of eating random food combos and b*tching...
Emarried to the awesome BlackWaterson.

If you need someone to talk to, I'm usually about so drop me a pm or swing by the Hugging Thread.
Quote by LadyKitten
I'd like to do both, but I think I'd prefer to adopt, at least at first. There are so many kids out there who don't have parents...

I do that a lot anyway, it's not such a hardship.
I'd love to have my own kids.

However, I have some pretty big genetic health problems. Living with it, I don't want to pass it on to any of my offspring, and if I had children normally, there would be a good chance of that happening. I've seen the effect that my problems had on my parents with them now knowing I got it from them, and they didn't even know it was a risk when they had me. Unless something incredibly were to happen with gene therapy in the next few years, I'll probably be adopting.
I have no compulsion to grow a screaming brat in my uterus, but my boyfriend is all about the continuing his bloodline thing so I think it will either never happen or it'll be biological and reluctant. I wouldn't adopt.
Quote by ShallowEndings
I hate kids, but if i were to have one it would be my own specimens creating it.

*Wishes i could remember the ad from GTA IV, where you order a baby and if you don't like it you can throw it away*

I remember that ad. The radio on that game is awesome. Just or Unjust is such as good show for lulz.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Part of me wants to spread my spawn and have wonderful Cuban children that have all been raised to think Juan Ponce de Leon is God, but then the other part of me screams NO CHILDREN!

And..then a third part of me also wants to adopt an adorable little asian girl and buy her hello kitty back packs that are twice her size. So cute

Bah! I swear..theyre like kittens. Its all fun and games until you have to remember to feed and take care of them.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
There's obviously a strong part of me that wants to have children who are genetically descended from me, continuing genes and the like; yet, I think nurture is more important than nature, so I could still make and love the children as my own. You have to earn being called a father, I think, not simply a matter of semen + egg + 9 months.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Well, my wife is physically unable to have kids from what the doctors told her around the time that we started dating 5 years ago, but we are both fine with that. She is a fair bit older than me. I am going to be 27 next Monday and she will (according to her, NOT) be 40 2 weeks after that. She's at a point in her career where she wouldn't want one and I am of the same mind.

I think I would make a great father were I to become one, but I have 2 nieces and a nephew and that gives me my fill. I am sure it is different when they are your own child, but the sound of a screaming infant cuts through me like a knife. I would probably not do well anyway because I believe children need discipline and most of them these days are spoiled little brats that get away with murder because their parents refuse to do so. There is a difference between discipline and abuse. I was corrected with spanking as a child and I don't consider it as abusive. That's another topic for another day though.

Basically, I am fine with not having children of my own at this point in my life. I'm not a subscriber of the whole Evolutionary concept that we're only here to propagate the species, but that too is another topic for another time.
Quote by LadyKitten

Two excellent points.

I don't want children. I'm far too lazy and emotionally crippled.
I feel that adoption is a wonderful thing- there are plenty of children just waiting for families so why not raise a child who is already here on this earth?

But, in the same respect, when you find your soulmate it is hard not to imagine having children with that person. To make a life together is such a beautiful, life-changing experience that only those two people share.

Both come with completely different feelings.
My genes are far too awesome to waste. If anything, I'm going to impregnate random women to make sure I have as many kids as possible.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I'd like to have my own children. That said, if for some reason my partner and I couldn't have our own, I'd be happy to adopt.

This. I'd prefer having my own. I just feel like having your own child seems more special than adopting someone's.
Quote by daytripper75
This. I'd prefer having my own. I just feel like having your own child seems more special than adopting someone's.

Aye. Emotionally and through inclination, it feels special, but logically, it's just arrogant

I intend to sterilise myself at an early age, so if I want kids, it's going to be adoption.
Quote by Craigo
Aye. Emotionally and through inclination, it feels special, but logically, it's just arrogant

I can't help that my kids would be better than others.
Quote by daytripper75
I can't help that my kids would be better than others.

I know some fucking awesome people who definitely should of been sent up for adoption or nearly were with great genes. It's still arrogant

I say this tongue in cheek, of course.
Either way, i'm going to have to change his/her shit-encrusted diapers, spend at least $100000 raising him/her (more if it's a girl), meet their friend's dumbass parents, and say that they're doing great when they're not.

I choose making the baby the old-fashioned way.
hue
I would want to do both. But if I had to choose one, it would be adoption. I wouldn't want my wife to have to go through childbirth if she didn't want to and I would want to give an already living child a good life.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Adoption? Worst fiddy bucks I ever spent, coulda got me a matchin pair of chinese babies for ten.