I recently have changed my guitar strings to a lower sting gauge. Now its buzzes everywhere i play except for the bottom 3 strings and after the 12th fret. It Also buzzes alot when i play power chords. i have adjusted the truss rod for more relief. Now the truss rod is loose and won't turn any further and it still buzzes. The action seem very high as well and i can still tighten the truss rod but it just won't have more relief.
Last edited by someone96 at Jun 7, 2010,
take it to your local guitar repair guru... Once you start messing with truss rods bad things can happen very easily
first off, the way to find the proper truss rod tension would be to fret your guitar at the 1st fret of the low E string and also fret it at the fret where the neck joins the body. ontop of the 7th fretwire, you're supposed to be able to slide in a playing card without issue. As i'm reading you can't make that happen, as your trussrod is completely loose. what you do next i'd recommend you go to a luthier to get done. but the process, in short, is heating up the neck so the truss rod stops sticking.

Once you've checked that, it's time to check your action. this is the height of the strings, and it's adjusted at the bridge of your guitar, but you've already done that.

As i said, your truss rod is probably stuck. get a luthier to heat up the neck and reset it completely.
When it comes to guitars, My general rule is : LEARN BY DOING.
However, when it comes down to the truss rod, I don't touch it.
I've done my floyd rose, intonation, restringing, fixing pots myself.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by ziggymidget
first off, the way to find the proper truss rod tension would be to fret your guitar at the 1st fret of the low E string and also fret it at the fret where the neck joins the body. ontop of the 7th fretwire, you're supposed to be able to slide in a playing card without issue. As i'm reading you can't make that happen, as your trussrod is completely loose. what you do next i'd recommend you go to a luthier to get done. but the process, in short, is heating up the neck so the truss rod stops sticking.

Once you've checked that, it's time to check your action. this is the height of the strings, and it's adjusted at the bridge of your guitar, but you've already done that.

As i said, your truss rod is probably stuck. get a luthier to heat up the neck and reset it completely.

The truss rod isn't stuck its just very loose but i can still tighten it.
Too much relief will also give buzzing.
Use Ziggymidget's method to check the relief and report back the distance between the top of the fret crown and the bottom of the Low E at the 7-9 fret area.
Moving on.....
Is the Low E string resting ont he fret crown?
Moving on.....
if it's completely loose then the strings are probably resting on most of the frets and the card wont slide through during the test.

it most likely needs to be tightened. but i'm not the best at describing it, so here it goes.

support the body of the guitar on your foot, and the headstock in your hand. now
looking down the neck from the headstock to the body, as if aiming a rifle at your foot using the string as the site, look along the low E string and it's relation to the fret surface of the neck and notice the necks relief. it's probably bowed upwards causing the strings to rest on the frets during the test. check this and report back. do the same on the low e.

and post in the stickied set up thread as well. jen's an ace at this stuff too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 8, 2010,

just listening to all the helpful guys in here makes my heart full.

ts: like said, when you fret the first and last fret (where the neck and body meet)

if you find that the string lays on the frets at the 7-9th. then add relief!

it's not hard, and completely safe as long as you follow simple instructions.

when looking down into the rod, like said above,
turn the rod 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.

don't force the turn, and let the guitar sit in tune to settle.

do that small turn then measure the neck again later, let me know if the string moved off the fret in the gap.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The top of the fret wire.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.