Hi all. I've been playing for about 5 months now. No lessons, all self taught. I know I'll never be a concert guitarist and I just play and learn to have fun, nothing serious, just enjoying the sounds I make. Anyway, Lately I've been improving metal, coming up with my own riffs, basically driving my wife crazy. Mostly rhythm but I like to through a few single notes in too. I have my guitar tuned to drop D right now, but am wondering if tuning all the strings down a whole step might be better and leave more options open to me. I have to admit it's pretty easy to come up with some cool rhythms in drop D, but then it seems I'm stuck with mostly power chords. Any input would be great.
Quote by david1707
Hi all. I've been playing for about 5 months now. No lessons, all self taught. I know I'll never be a concert guitarist and I just play and learn to have fun, nothing serious, just enjoying the sounds I make. Anyway, Lately I've been improving metal, coming up with my own riffs, basically driving my wife crazy. Mostly rhythm but I like to through a few single notes in too. I have my guitar tuned to drop D right now, but am wondering if tuning all the strings down a whole step might be better and leave more options open to me. I have to admit it's pretty easy to come up with some cool rhythms in drop D, but then it seems I'm stuck with mostly power chords. Any input would be great.

well most metal bands these days tune down all the strings at least a full step. I tune all strings down a full step, and then if I want to do drop d I tune down the 6th string another full step (technically "drop C").

In short, if you wanna sound like the metal bands of today, experiment with some lower tunings. While nothing is wrong with standard tuning, as metallica used in the 80's, today it kind of sounds dated. Peace.
i wouldnt say it gives you more options as such, though Drop C sounds cooler to me. also, try playing around in D standard tuning (standard with everystring tuned down a step).

it really comes down to what sound you want. what sound do you want?
Is bad ass one or two words?
Quote by tenfold
There is no metal tuning. Learn some songs in a tuning you like; you're playing power chords because it's all you know.

Listen to plenty of music with more complicated rhythm work than just powerchords, figure out how it's done (theory is your friend), and write some riffs of your own.
A different tuning just slides the notes on your fretboard around, it won't help you write better. Especially not if you're stuck on powerchords.
Quote by david1707

Why not though? If you actually don't want to that's fine but it sounds like you just don't feel like you can actually do it

Also try learning some theory, you're never stuck with just power chords.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks all. Yes I am learning more than just power chords, but it's fun to play around with what I know. I am learning theory as I go also. That's a tough one without a real teacher. But these boards are great for learning. As far as never being a concert guitarist....I'm 43yo now and not getting any younger with little enough time to practice. I'm just learing for my own enjoyment, at least my youngest boy (9yo) sits in and enjoys it. I think I'm creating a little metal monster. BTW, I'm also picking up blues and more along the way.
Quote by david1707
Thanks all. Yes I am learning more than just power chords, but it's fun to play around with what I know. I am learning theory as I go also. That's a tough one without a real teacher. But these boards are great for learning. As far as never being a concert guitarist....I'm 43yo now and not getting any younger with little enough time to practice. I'm just learing for my own enjoyment, at least my youngest boy (9yo) sits in and enjoys it. I think I'm creating a little metal monster. BTW, I'm also picking up blues and more along the way.

Well you don't need to be in a band to play in public, there might be a jam night in a bar or pub near you; I know of one or two near me and I (being but a sprightly 23) have played through old Hendrix and Pink Floyd tunes with guys in their 60s... in fact I think the oldest blueser I've seen there is mid-70s if he's a day!

But it doesn't matter, if you're enjoying it then it's all good and nothing anyone else says matters, keep the faith my friend
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Drop tuning is fun. I say tune your guitar down until your hearts content, it's your guitar after all.

My seven string will prolly be in drop G, once I change the strings on it.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's