I have a M2A-110 FirstAct and a ESP MH-100QM. When using the overdrive, or so that is what they call it, the sound it just crackled really, not distorted.

Would upgrading the amp and getting a distortion pedal help obtain a better sound? or is it in the guitar and pickups?

trying to get a good Smoke on the water sound.
What amp are you using?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Your just not gonna get good tone from those walmart first act amps. You need a decent amp.
haha I didn't know it was a walmart amp otherwise I wouldn't have bought it from the pawn shop that I got my guitar from.
Quote by Dekkon0
haha I didn't know it was a walmart amp otherwise I wouldn't have bought it from the pawn shop that I got my guitar from.

Lets get this out of the way before you have to post another thread
What type of music do you play and what are you willing to spend on a new amp?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
Lets get this out of the way before you have to post another thread
What type of music do you play and what are you willing to spend on a new amp?

I'm looking to play anything from BB King to AC/DC and back again. I am willing to spend up to $100 dollars on a amp, or a little more but I just need an amp that pushes good sound for practice use.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Roland Microcube is your friend.

2w for $110?
It's got Rolands COSM modeling, so it sounds really good, and gives you a lot of different tones.

You wanted around 100...there's not a lot in that range. Not anything good, anyway, aside from the Microcube.
Personally I'd rather have the Vox VT15, but you don't want to spend that much.

Anyway, I see the Microcube on used market often for about 50 bucks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's got Rolands COSM modeling, so it sounds really good, and gives you a lot of different tones.

You wanted around 100...there's not a lot in that range. Not anything good, anyway, aside from the Microcube.
Personally I'd rather have the Vox VT15, but you don't want to spend that much.

Anyway, I see the Microcube on used market often for about 50 bucks.

Aslong as it cranks out decent sound and I looked it up and it has a whole ton of effects which I like but you guys knew that. Also, I am used to car audio, such as 1000w amps and subs and I am just used to turning my head when I hear 2 watts haha

Thanks I am going to try and look for one around here.
Quote by Dekkon0
Aslong as it cranks out decent sound and I looked it up and it has a whole ton of effects which I like but you guys knew that. Also, I am used to car audio, such as 1000w amps and subs and I am just used to turning my head when I hear 2 watts haha

Thanks I am going to try and look for one around here.

well do keep in mind that wattage isn't linear - 10x the wattage is approximately twice the volume. so really those 1000w amps are only like 5-6 times as loud as that 2w amp.

the microcube is a fantastic amp. it sounds great, and the effects are very usable and much better quality than any cheap pedals youd be looking at around your rig's budget.

i'll second it