yo, shadowz_fall here, with another dumb question, probably not as dumb as the last one but still dumb, how do i make that high pitched sound i hear in laid to rest? i watched some covers and tried to imitate them but i still can't make that sound, lol, so how? anyone? and for those of you who were wondering, i lost the bet, my friend was actually secretly ambidextrous lol, should've asked first huh?
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

it's probably an artificial harmonic. i don't know how to do them though so i couldn't tell you.
i can just about explain that you have to touch the string with your thumb right after you pluck it with the pick..and it "squeals"..i don't know if it's that, but knowing the genre and the band...there sure are lot's of them.
What you are hearing is probably a pinch harmonic (or artificial harmonic). To do them you just pick the note, but have your thumb light skim the string afterwards. There is no real good way to describe it. It will probably take you alittle bit to get it, but when you do you will love doing it.
Yep, 'artificial' harmonic. Like Krieger91 said, you have to touch the string with your thumb as you pick - there's no secret to it, you'll just develop it. I know that when I first tried artificial harmonics, I failed really badly. But one day I just picked the guitar up and without thinking, did one - and that's pretty much how you do it - don't think about it too much. I'm sure there are videos on youtube telling you how to pop a squealy

How long you been playing?
RECTUM.

Quote by papershredder
Believe it or not, DT can be overlistened to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-DA4iggDD8

Quote by SmarterChild

Quote by tancanada
I know a girl who regularly orgasms in her sleep.

Ah, Rohypnol.
its probably a pinch harmonic. there are plenty of articles on them
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
actually there is a secret to it. depending on which fret it is it changes position above the pickups. normally somewhere above the neck pup. and the more gain, the easier it is
thanks, for the replies guys, so its called an artificial harmonic or pinch harmonic huh? gonna search for a tutorial on that

@Met_Ali_15
been playing for a year now
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

lol, tried it out just now, i suck, i can't even make it squeal for more than one second lol, gotta practice i guess
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Kinda ironic that a guy whose name is Shadows Fall doesnt know a pinch harmonic haha. But dude try adding vibrato to your pinch harmonics.
yeah, they're my fav band so thats my username lol, gonna keep practicing this
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by Met_Ali_15
Yep, 'artificial' harmonic. Like Krieger91 said, you have to touch the string with your thumb as you pick - there's no secret to it, you'll just develop it. I know that when I first tried artificial harmonics, I failed really badly. But one day I just picked the guitar up and without thinking, did one - and that's pretty much how you do it - don't think about it too much. I'm sure there are videos on youtube telling you how to pop a squealy

How long you been playing?

yep, i remember whan i actually manages to do one..i felt really good :d