I'm looking for a nice tube head with

-nice clean channel

-a vintage tone for my crunch,something like vandenberg's sound,like 70-80s sounds,from boston to skid row and everything among...not too far from marshall plexi to be clearer...possibly the chance to play also van halen and other hardrock stuff like that.

-a lead channel with tons of gain,possibly full of mids,not far from Inflames/ensiferum sound (w/ EMGS,obviously,really compressed sound)

-not TOO expensive (around 1000&euro

Can a x100b be suitable for such things,maybe with a kickasspedal for the lead?
I really liked the one I played...even though I didn't get to spend much time with it. I liked the clean channel the best...and I wouldn't say the lead channel has 'tons of gain' like you're looking for. With a nice boost though...I'm sure the lead channel would be more usable. Just my two cents...like I said, I spent an hour tops with the amp.
Quote by eyebanez333
I really liked the one I played...even though I didn't get to spend much time with it. I liked the clean channel the best...and I wouldn't say the lead channel has 'tons of gain' like you're looking for. With a nice boost though...I'm sure the lead channel would be more usable. Just my two cents...like I said, I spent an hour tops with the amp.

Yeah,i was quite sure the head hasn't so much gain...but just like you said,with a booster...
Look for one with the "factory hot rod 1b" kit and the 6l6's. They're out there. You will get the perfect 80's metal tone. The cleans on all x100's are the same circuit. I have eight of them (different mods/tubes/years) and have never had a failure, they're built like tanks. Only problem with them is they're loud! I personally like that, even with the power switch at 25% it's loud. Just a halfstack on about 4 will be like a marshall on 8. If you have any questions let me know....
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
Look for one with the "factory hot rod 1b" kit and the 6l6's. They're out there. You will get the perfect 80's metal tone. The cleans on all x100's are the same circuit. I have eight of them (different mods/tubes/years) and have never had a failure, they're built like tanks. Only problem with them is they're loud! I personally like that, even with the power switch at 25% it's loud. Just a halfstack on about 4 will be like a marshall on 8. If you have any questions let me know....

Awesome man!Well never tried a tube amp that was not even too loud,but that's not a problem,as you said.

Is the kit a mod loaded in the factory?
Yes it's a factory loaded mod. There is a sticker on the back of the amp that says exactly that. It's essentially a 25db gain boost (i think i remember correctly). IT's activated by pulling out on the master volume knob. Some of the later grey carpet ones have 6l6 tubes, but the amp will be labeled el34. If you see this don't be alarmed. There are also several aftermarket kits for it as well from Torres engineering. I've installed them in several amps. You will love the active 5 band eq also. Having such a kick ass clean channel and active eq, shoving any modeling/distortion pedals in front of it is insane.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Last edited by zeek7pc at Jun 7, 2010,
I have an X100A. It isn't as loud as my JSX but it is about as loud as a normal 50-100 watt head. The 60watt mode really cuts down on the volume, surprisingly. I believe mine is a 1981 model. I love it. The X100B is nice too but it's not the only way to go. If you crank the X100A it's still hotter than a cranked stock JCM800. The new reissues are all B models but I heard they aren't as nice as the old ones, I don't know about that though. Try one out they are epicly cheap.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Errr guys,you know,i live in italy and here (also in a huge part of europe),carvin amps are really hard to be found,expecially a x100b/a....i would order one by the importer which essentially orders from the official site...