Hi guys,

I'm having a guitar built for me by a friend of mine, but since I know almost nothing about pickups and such I need your advice. I'm going for a H-H setup, and I'd like to know which pickups I should get. I want the guitar to sound as versatile as possible, though I don't like pickups that put out too much treble.
I play through a Marshall JVM 210H, if that's of any importance.
Any hints regarding materials and such are welcome too, since I don't really know about that either.

tl;dr: What pickups should I get for my custom guitar, if I want it to sound as versatile as possible? And also; what are, according to you, the best wood materials for the neck and such?

Thanks in advance guys.
Play the music, not the instrument.
Last edited by Larsman9000 at Jun 7, 2010,
Can't go wrong with the SD JB/Jazz combo: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

Then have your builder install each with a on-on-on DPDT mini toggle: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-3Position-OnOnOn-DPDT-Mini-Switch?sku=424668
This will allow each pickup to be wired as Parallel, Series, or Split depending on the switch's position.

Then just use a basic 3 way blade or toggle switch and your guitar is now capable of 15 unique pickup configurations.

I personally like Mahogany bodies with Maple necks as it somewhat splits the difference between an LP and a Strat. I also really like walnut...not quite as warm as mahogany.
All right man, thanks for the advice, I'll certainly look into that, it looks damn interesting! Thanks
For versatility i'd honestly reccomend H S H with a splitting option, as that just adds further combinations.

And I'd definately say look into the seymour jazz, but if you do decide to go H S H then check fender lace sensors and bare knuckles for more bite.

HELLO!

^ Thanks! Good to have as many options as possible to look into