Hi guys,

I own an acoustic Yamaha F310 and love it.

Sometimes I don't have a guitar stand with me, so I just lay my Yamaha on the sofa.

Right now I lay it with its face facing down because someone I trust told me too.

I'm just trying to make sure if it is better than face up because I think if it sits face down, the string tension can counter the force of the neck going back.

But now I've observed all the force is on the bridge and neck. Will this be harmful to the guitar? If I face my guitar up the tuning pegs doesn't touch the sofa. Is this better?\
Last edited by rock0n247 at Jun 7, 2010,
It doesn't matter in the least which way it sits. It just seems a bit silly to put it strings-down.
This force countering force idea you have...I mean, the only new force you're adding is gravity. It shouldn't make a difference to your guitar just lying on a couch.
Gear:
Jasmine ES33C
Hamer Sunburst Archtop Flametop
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Fender Frontman 25R
Quote by rock0n247
Hi guys,

I own an acoustic Yamaha F310 and love it.

Sometimes I don't have a guitar stand with me, so I just lay my Yamaha on the sofa.

Right now I lay it with its face facing down because someone I trust told me too.

I'm just trying to make sure if it is better than face up because I think if it sits face down, the string tension can counter the force of the neck going back.

But now I've observed all the force is on the bridge and neck. Will this be harmful to the guitar? If I face my guitar up the tuning pegs doesn't touch the sofa. Is this better?\

To put a different slant on it, I am going to say...face down.

Why?

Well, if you or someone else falls/sits/drops something on it, it would be better to have it face down than face up, as this will almost certainly damage the neck/joint...seeing as face up, the centre of the neck is not supported.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!