Squiers are proper starterguitars. Epiphones aswell.

You could also look for some cheap-o ibanez.
you cant go wrong with squier they fit all genres and are quality 4 price
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
Hey there ! Well, usually, the starter packs aren't that much of a great deal. They usually give out bad quality guitars coupled with bad quality amps. My recommendation tho, is to go to your local guitar shop, try out some guitar and amps, see with which one you go the best. Me myself, I've got a Ibanez GAX30 and a Marshall MG10, both very good for the price. The amp can punch out a really good sound with decent amounts of gain. Also, the cleans aren't that bad. Eventually, you are going to upgrade your amp and guitar, and get something better, but for you to get accustomed to playing to an electric guitar, it is essential to get some quality gear, for you not to get frustrated because you can not get a good sound out of them.

tl;dr

Go to guitar shop, try guitars and amps, pick which one suits you the best.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
Erm i would like to keep it under 250 euro
(like 300$ i think)
And i listen to bands like Foo fighters shine down fall out boy paramore green day
you know
Kinda rock, punk rock
Last edited by Stereohead at Jun 7, 2010,
it sucks.

you know, we have the same story, sick of acoustic, wants an electric

i wanted a strat or tele squier too but look at people playing them on youtube, they sound awful. the yamaha pacifica 012 is only a bit more expensive but has lots of value.

the pac 112 sounds even better mostly because it has an alder body instead.

but then i decided just to save for 2 more years for a fender standard mim strat or tele because "they will last till you die" and they sound the best.

dont think that strat is worth it because it comes with an amp. you'd rather attach your new fender to your stereo for a year or less saving money for an amp than having the squier with an amp for 3 years already.

but its youre choice. you may have an ugly acoustic. i have my lovely f310 and have recently discovered new guys that play acoustic real good like jack johnson, ben harper, and eric clapton's unlpugged album. try them-you may end up like me.

plus, squiers make you look beginner if you're not really good and if you are, when youre not playing it. :P

Definitely some kind of Strat from Squire, or maybe a Les Paul style guitar from Epiphone. Amp wise, you should get a small, low-watt (10-15) amp. I wsay tubes, but whatever you like.
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
Quote by rock0n247
it sucks.

you know, we have the same story, sick of acoustic, wants an electric

i wanted a strat or tele squier too but look at people playing them on youtube, they sound awful. the yamaha pacifica 012 is only a bit more expensive but has lots of value.

the pac 112 sounds even better mostly because it has an alder body instead.

but then i decided just to save for 2 more years for a fender standard mim strat or tele because "they will last till you die" and they sound the best.

dont think that strat is worth it because it comes with an amp. you'd rather attach your new fender to your stereo for a year or less saving money for an amp than having the squier with an amp for 3 years already.

but its youre choice. you may have an ugly acoustic. i have my lovely f310 and have recently discovered new guys that play acoustic real good like jack johnson, ben harper, and eric clapton's unlpugged album. try them-you may end up like me.

plus, squiers make you look beginner if you're not really good and if you are, when youre not playing it. :P

It doesn't really matters to me if i look like a beginner or like a pro ;P
And i pretty suck at playing guitar,
but hey, everyone gotta start.
Im gonna follow some lessons you know. So i think i just gonna keep it on this squier.
But im not sure yet
Go with the Yamaha, or see if you can get something a bit better second hand.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
I'd suggest an Ibanez of some sort. Good price and good sound. And with an amp, I'd suggest something higher quality. The amp is more important than the guitar to getting to that sound you want.
From what I hear, the affinity series are not great. I would recommend spending a little more and getting a Squier Standard Stratocaster. This is what I went with for starting and was very happy. I bought a used amp and all together spent just south of $300.00 US. I have not had any issues with tuning on it and there is a little fret buzz, but it is probably because I never got it set up professionally.

The only negative I can say is that I picked up some LP style guitars about 3 months into learning and found it to be much more comfortable. However, this will come down to personal preference.

This is nothing bad about Ibanez, but for the music you seem to be interested in, I would probably go another direction, unless you intend on crossing over into some harder stuff.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by Alexander_BR
Try Agile, not sure if still cheap over seas.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss4.html

And for an Amp I'd recommend a Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 15, or even a Vox Valvetronix 15. IT might go a bit over budget, but it will be worth it in the long run.

this.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Alexander_BR
Try Agile, not sure if still cheap over seas.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss4.html

And for an Amp I'd recommend a Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 15, or even a Vox Valvetronix 15. IT might go a bit over budget, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Not this.

The guy is in Europe- shipping and taxes make Agile a very very expensive option for us outside the US.

Pick up a yamaha pacifica 112v and a roland cube 15x, vox vt15 or peavey vypyr depending on what genres you wan't to play.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Me myself, I've got a Ibanez GAX30 and a Marshall MG10, both very good for the price. The amp can punch out a really good sound with decent amounts of gain. Also, the cleans aren't that bad. QUOTE]

Did you just call an MG good?
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Stereohead
Erm i would like to keep it under 250 euro
(like 300$ i think)
And i listen to bands like Foo fighters shine down fall out boy paramore green day
you know
Kinda rock, punk rock

for that small budget ur best off getting the guitar and amp used.
If you're going low budget,a yamaha or an agile is the you best bet..

I dont know about agiles much,but yamaha Pacificas are really good for the money
Agile is not an option for someone outside of the US. Learn this people!

Yamaha Pacifica's are great guitars for a starter, though i don't know how much they cost over there. you're not going to get much for 250 euro, so just go out and play some guitars and amps and see what you like.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Depends on what you like to play too. I had a Squier Strat for like 5 years and it worked pretty good. The input jack broke when I brought it home but Guitar Center gave me a new one and it's been working so far. You can buy a nice amp with the money you have left. Then, when you start playing better you can upgrade. Or if you find you don't like electric as much you can upgrade to a nice acoustic guitar later. Good luck!
You might want to consider a Roland Cube. I've played them a couple of times and they're really good for the money. I wish I'd bought one when I was a beginner.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Eklips
Me myself, I've got a Ibanez GAX30 and a Marshall MG10, both very good for the price. The amp can punch out a really good sound with decent amounts of gain. Also, the cleans aren't that bad. QUOTE]

Did you just call an MG good?

Nope, called an MG decent enough for a beginner's.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
As with most things in life buy the best you can afford. There is no badge of honor starting out on a piece of crap guitar that fights you just to play a barre chord.In my opinion buying your first guitar over the internut is not an option. It is one of those things you need to get your hands on and test out.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I think your choice would be a smart one. The Frontman 15watt is louder and better than a 10 watt MG, and you can EQ your guitar more thoroughly (B,M,T not just B,T). The amp is also roughly the same price as a Marshall. I tried all the new MG series amps from 10watt to 50watt and they're all shit, utter squeely shit. The frontman doesn't have good distortion, but the gain will be good enough for punk rock. I would purchase that affinity then get it tuned up at a guitar store for like 20 bucks and they will make it play and sound better.

That's a pretty solid deal though. I'm thinking of getting an Affinity Squier as a project guitar since they're easy to mod, and I've been playing guitar for 10 years.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s