I've been playing guitar for about 1 and a half years.

I've pretty much learned all the techniques required for Yngwie/Gilbert style shred, and my playing is clean when I play slowly. However, I have problems speeding up all their licks so I find it really hard to nail a song, so I end up giving up halfway or just learning the easier parts of the song (or learning parts at half speed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMKjWd5Op0

That was me playing part of a Yngwie song last September. My technique has improved since then, as I can pick lines with less tension (no curled up pinky and my hand looks much more relaxed) and my vibrato has improved too.

Hence, I haven't learned a single full song except Black Sabbath's Paranoid, which I learned last year. I'm finding the jump really huge from songs like that to shred guitar.

So I'm really not sure what to do now. I don't exactly have as much time to practice as much now but I'm yearning to get better and start shredding.
Eh I've been playing 2 years and I know one full song. Mostly I just like to write my own riffs and put them together later on.

You're better than I was at 1 1/2 year so I'd say... Just keep practicing. If you don't know music theory, start learning it, learn scales, chords, etc.

Pretty much the same thing anyone else will tell you.

Try a new genre you haven't dabbled in. If you only play metal, try folk guitar(some of that stuff is fairly tricky).

Can you finger pick? Try playing this stuff with your fingers. You'll become more dexterous and coordinated.

Hope this helps.
don't focus so much on shredding, that's just one tool in the arsenal of an all around good guitarist. spend time learning some easier songs, all the way through, and work on other aspects of your playing.
Take a stab at learning this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

I have been trying to learn the complete song for like 1.5 years, which seems like alot, but many of the different phrases are good for learning different techniques like tremolo picking, sweep picking, palm muting, alternate/economy picking, pinch harmonics, etc.

Here's the tab http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jerryc/canon_rock_tab.htm

Here is the backing track http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/jerryc/canon_rock.htm

Good Luck
Quote by Timothongz

I've pretty much learned all the techniques required for Yngwie/Gilbert style shred

Saying this is going to catch you a lot of flak...

Anyway, that aside, learn theory, learn full songs, learn techniques, etc...

Learn easy songs mostly. You want to work on becoming a clean and consistent guitarist first. Make sure your fundamentals are solid before moving on.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 7, 2010,
Just push yourself. it will feel weird and unnatural, just watch your technique and make sure it doesn't change, and you'll be fine.
Quote by ciadude2
Eh I've been playing 2 years and I know one full song. Mostly I just like to write my own riffs and put them together later on.

You're better than I was at 1 1/2 year so I'd say... Just keep practicing. If you don't know music theory, start learning it, learn scales, chords, etc.

Pretty much the same thing anyone else will tell you.

Try a new genre you haven't dabbled in. If you only play metal, try folk guitar(some of that stuff is fairly tricky).

Can you finger pick? Try playing this stuff with your fingers. You'll become more dexterous and coordinated.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I've played some fingerpicked jazz rhythm guitar here and there for fun and there but I'm not as proficient at it.

I would say I'm quite well versed in theory since I was classically trained in theory, and I have decent chord/scale knowledge. I'm also working on my improvisation and I'm figuring out which notes sound better over certain chords.
That video is very solid. I was about to compliment you on your very good time (most 'aspiring shredder' videos i hear have a big issue with that), until i heard the metronome. Still, for one year on the instrument, I would be very proud of that. Now that you have a grasp on the technique, find music you like and learn it, slowly and patiently. Use tabs for now if you have to, but try to learn standard notation fluently and be able to work off recordings. Perhaps work on your phrasing. Listen to some good classical instrumentalists (particularly non guitarists if you want to work on your single note lines) , and hear how without changing the notes of the phrase they can bring it out perfectly. Focus on adding more dynamics to your lines and really finding the climatictic moments of the piece/of a given line and giving them an audible contrast. Once you have your chops together and have a grasp on some music, playing leads and backing up other players start playing in groups and eventually bone up on your theory.
I did start playing guitar because I wanted to be the next Joe Satriani. The best way to learn is by playing endlessly and practicing non stop. You'll get there eventually. But once you get there you'll probably get bored.

Remember music is more than playing 4000 notes per second really accurately. If you want that, give some music to a machine.

PS. Your playing is more accurate than mine is so don't be so hard on yourself.
Quote by CloudArchitect
The best way to learn is by playing endlessly and practicing non stop. You'll get there eventually.

this
Quote by Timothongz

I've pretty much learned all the techniques required for Yngwie/Gilbert style shred

this is a crap attitude
and probably why your having trouble progressing

dont sell yourself short.
but your only gonna hinder yourself with that kind of mindset.
not to mention its an absurd notion.
Last edited by Coagulation at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by Coagulation
this is a crap attitude
and probably why your having trouble progressing

dont sell yourself short.
but your only gonna hinder yourself with that kind of mindset.
not to mention its an absurd notion.

Well... he did say learned... not mastered.

TS... take your time, its not a race... getting things up to speed takes a while. When you one day decide to go with the flow of music, everything will click into place for you.
speed takes alot of practice and a long time so just keep practising
tips: practice tecniques and gragually build speed, its a common mistake to go full speed
straight away,

for song that shred just play slowly and build up the bpm till you cant play cleanly
hears a good song it covers alot of shred techs like sweep alt picking and string skipping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY9N_J5RUU

i played for nearly 2 year and im learning this song so we will both (or anyone who wants to challenge me) learn this and compare (see who can play it faster, clean) just too get you motervated which you need
too still practice as much

please reply your youtube name to see your cover of the song
mine is http://www.youtube.com/user/rodneymullenfan17
All I can say is based upon that Video you are well on the right track, I think its just a matter of time, and practice. I see and heard good habits there you are holding the pick correctly and the feel and patience in the timing is evident, and it all sounded good. Id be encouraged.

Sean