Hi there,

I'll get soon my recently purchased ltd ec1000 stbc .

And I'm considering buyin' an amp for this badass baby. For the moment, I use only virtual amps (guitar rig 4, amplitube), and they sound right with my les paul special faded ("budget" les paul, with flat top, and 'basic' humbuckers). But these simulations will, I'm afraid, not match my big pair o' (balls ?) EMGs

Considering I won't gig with this amp, and that I have neighbours, which amp would you suggest me ? My budget would be approx. 400€ ( I live in France, so let's say $500 as an equivalent. I can't put more than that, considering the ltd ain't cheap ), and I'd like

1) a valve amp if possible, but not mandatory

2) a combo (much easier to handle, and my student room ain't that big)

3) a good sound (obvious , eh ?) from classic rock to -really heavy, not screamo pussy stuff- metal , even when not played loud

EDIT: I own a BOSS MD-2 to add gain if needed

Thx in advance

Regards from Paris
Last edited by Gimiz at Jun 7, 2010,
Bugera 333xl/6262. Used Peavey 5150/6505.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I would say a Bugera. Peavey's are wayyy good but 5150's dont sound that great if you dont have them turned up loud.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Obama FTW
Peavey's are wayyy good but 5150's dont sound that great if you dont have them turned up loud.

The Bugera's do ?
peavey 6505 combo 1x12 is just about in your budget
only 60 watts compared to all the bugera stuff which is 120
ANY high wattage tube amp (5150 is 60 and the 6262 is 120 I think) will sound best with the power tubes being pushed. Metal gets most of the tone from the preamp but usually will sound "fizzy" without turning the volume up to get the power tubes working.
Quote by DroptuneD
ANY high wattage tube amp (5150 is 60 and the 6262 is 120 I think) will sound best with the power tubes being pushed. Metal gets most of the tone from the preamp but usually will sound "fizzy" without turning the volume up to get the power tubes working.

That's precisely one of my main concerns. Do none of these come with an integrated power attenuator ?
Last edited by Gimiz at Jun 7, 2010,
No they don't. I use my 5150 212 (60 watts tube) in an apartment building and can still get great tones out of it. The amps mentioned really "open up" when being played louder though.
Dammit. Thx for suggestions though, I think I'll pick up a Bugera when my budget will permit it to meh again
Quote by josh_salty
peavey 6505 combo 1x12 is just about in your budget
only 60 watts compared to all the bugera stuff which is 120

That double wattage is not going to matter. And if you really want less wattage, just pull tubes.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Gimiz
The Bugera's do ?

Mine does.......

It just sounds BETTER at higher volumes, like any tube amp.

I sugget a 6262 aswell.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's