I've got a Gibson electric with a tune-o-matic bridge. Every open G seems to make it buzz very noticabley when unplugged. I already changed the strings to see if that would help but it made no difference. The truss rod and bridge height are all normal so I imagine it's a problem with the bridge itself.

I'd appreciate any info.
Nope, its probably a truss rod or bridge height problem
If it was the bridge itself it would do it on every note on the g string

Just needs to be looked over/set up by a good guitar tech, one of the best things you can do for your guitar is have it set up right

If you want to you could always raise the lower protion of your bridge just a bit, like half a turn or so. Just pay attention to how much you raise it, so you can bring it back down if it does not solve the problem

Some people like tthe action on thier guitar lower than the guitar wants to go.
Are you sure it's the bridge? Does it only buzz when you play the open G, and not when you play any other note on that string?

If it's restricted to just the open G, it sounds like it may be buzzing up near the nut, which means you might try and raise the height of the string a little and see if it goes away. If not it might be something that is loose, such as a screw or wire. Check those. If its none of that then we'll try and figure it out!

Honestly, I don't think this is a problem that would be worth taking into a tech since its probably something easily fixed once diagnosed..
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jun 7, 2010,