Hey i don't really play that much rhythm guitar. What i normally do is barre either with e or a shape sometimes d, every now and then ill use an open chord if it's a natural major or somethin and close to where i am. There's just too many shapes so when i play 7th's 9ths 13ths stuff like that 99% of the time i'll barre it.. But i look at some chords on this website and less common chords often seem to be tabbed as open? Is it just preference or is there a reason behind this?
Also, i like being able to attack all the strings when barring and mute by lifting my left hand

sq: how do you guys like to finger emaj7 it's awkward i just barre the d and g strings and have my ring finger fretting the note on the a string..otherwise my fingers get all tangled up
It really depends on what sound I'm going for personally. Like you said, the left hand mutes make barre chords interesting for funk rhythms or anything you'd need a staccato sound for. The open chord voicings are still worth learning though, since they have a lot more powerful and--prepare yourself--open sound. Deciding which to use just depends on the application.

Also, if you really wanna mix things up, you should learn some jazz chords.
It depends on some factors, when I'm playing a chord progresion using open chords mostly. Then I'll try to play as much open chords as I can. Because the chords blend together better that way and technique-wise I think it's easier. When I'm playing mostly barre chords (for example Death of A Martian by RHCP, which has some funny chords in the chorus) I'll barre them all.

It matters to the sound of a song/progression you're playing and how much you have to shift you're hand along the neck for it.

It's just important you learn to play a chord in every way and on the most octaves you can. And figure out as much techniques as you can. For example using your thumb for the lower E-string in chord (jimi hendrix-style)
Quote by jhj
Hey i don't really play that much rhythm guitar. What i normally do is barre either with e or a shape sometimes d, every now and then ill use an open chord if it's a natural major or somethin and close to where i am. There's just too many shapes so when i play 7th's 9ths 13ths stuff like that 99% of the time i'll barre it.. But i look at some chords on this website and less common chords often seem to be tabbed as open? Is it just preference or is there a reason behind this?

Preference.

It's more to do with the voicing (I think there's a similar thread to this somewhere...).
i try not to make a distinction between open chords and barre chords. a chord is a chord to me. it's more about the voicings, really.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i try not to make a distinction between open chords and barre chords. a chord is a chord to me. it's more about the voicings, really.

I tend to avoid open chords, personally. It eliminates my vibrato and I don't have a tremolo, so yeah, I look elsewhere on the neck so I can really work the strings.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I usually use open chords if I'm playing a slower song, or, more commonly, if I'm playing a song on acoustic. I have troubles playing barre chords on acoustic.
I love using barre chords for rhythm. If you look at the similarities between barre chords and power chords, you can figure out how to knock out 2 birds with one stone. Not saying I use power chords alot, but if your like me and play mostly all rhythm, it's an excellent technique to be able to nail on the spot.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by AeolianWolf

Exactly - after all an open chord is just a barre chord without the barre.

It's simply about which one sounds best and which one is going to work best in the context of whatever else you're doing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com