I've been playing guitar for 6 years now, and I've recently taken guitar classes. I feel kinda demotivated after going for classes because I asked my teacher to teach me some jazz stuff and when I try to learn all that chords and jazz stuff, I realize I suck big time. I realize I can't play by ear, I can't play harder solos, I don't have the motivation to practice more, I don't understand theory, my timing sucks, I'm sloppy, the only scale I know is the major scale, I don't know the fretboard notes, I can't a whole song that's moderately hard and I just suck big time. I can't find one good part of me. I have a band and we do have our songs but then I just don't understand the theory behind songwriting. Every time when I try to learn a harder song, I just get either distracted or give up looking at the complicated tab. I just feel like quitting already especially when I think that I'm going to start working in the kitchen soon cos everyone says it's a very busy life as a chef and I no longer have time to jam with my band or just play at home. Whenever I remember that I've played for 6 years already but suck so much, I just feel so stumped. Please motivate me, I think this is the biggest 'wall' I've ever hit.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
The thing that motivates me more than anything is finding new music that is unique and interesting.

Aside from that, learn theory (there are more than enough resources on UG), learn full songs (start with beginner stuff and then work your way up), and keep taking lessons. It's hard now but if you put the effort in it will pay off big time, then afterwards you will wonder how you ever had a motivation issue.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 7, 2010,
I have tried to check out some theory in UG, but they always confuse me! It's like in a totally different language.

I don't know what other new music I should check out, I listen mainly to metal but I also listen to jazz, blues, older rap, rock, reggae.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
The "suck" aspect should be more than enough motivation to get you off your ass. If you truely want to be better than what you are now then you'll practice. It seems you're biting off more than you can chew atm. Don't be ashamed that you don't know something after 6 years. I know people who only know open chords after having played for 9 years cause all they do is learn acoustic songs with them.

Since you're already taking lessons, ask your teacher to show you all the things you don't know. The fret and corresponding note, I'm sure he can take the theory slow for you to pick up and then you can speed up (theory was hard for me at first too), everything you just listed in your post.

We can tell you everything there is in the book to cheer you up, but it ultimately comes down to you wanted to be better and sacrificing the time to doing so.

Best of luck and I hope to hear you on the radio someday
Last edited by Scotsman24` at Jun 7, 2010,
train your ear.. get a keyboard and start singing intervals. Auralia is an amazing computer program for this stuff

yea man i think we all need motivation sometimes =/
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Broken-pick,

Don't get yourself down. It's good that your guitar teacher is teaching you stuff that you don't know how to do. Wouldn't you think that if he was teaching you lessons that you were understanding right away that you were over paying him anyways?

If you really want to get good at an instrument you need to practice constantly. Also, the best way you can train your ear is by listening to songs and music in general. So in time it will come. Just keep playing.

Kind Regards,
Jeff
Quote by Broken-pick
I don't know what other new music I should check out, I listen mainly to metal but I also listen to jazz, blues, older rap, rock, reggae.

Well, when I hit a wall listening to a lot of Technical Progressive stuff got me motivated. Stuff like Animals as Leaders (Animals as Leaders), and Scale the Summit (Carving Desert Canyons). That and some Post Metal stuff like Mouth of the Architect (The Ties that Blind), Rosetta (The Galilean Satellites), Isis (Wavering Radiant), etc...
Yes, I do listen to progressive and technical stuff such as Opeth and Dream Theater but they don't quite make me feel motivated because I know John Petrucci's skill and mine is like a light year away. I am happy that my guitar teacher is teaching me things I don't know, but then I can't catch up on certain stuff and that is the factor that's making me tired. It's because he teaches me the songs with new chords that I've never been exposed to, and when I reach home to practice, I forget how you play that chord. And the 'why' and 'how' question always pops up my head, I always want to know how that chord is formed, how do I use it in and in what situations. I know it's my fault that I can't remember how you play the chord.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
I've been playing guitar for 6 years now, and I've recently taken guitar classes. I feel kinda demotivated after going for classes because I asked my teacher to teach me some jazz stuff and when I try to learn all that chords and jazz stuff, I realize I suck big time. I realize I can't play by ear, I can't play harder solos, I don't have the motivation to practice more, I don't understand theory, my timing sucks, I'm sloppy, the only scale I know is the major scale, I don't know the fretboard notes, I can't a whole song that's moderately hard and I just suck big time. I can't find one good part of me. I have a band and we do have our songs but then I just don't understand the theory behind songwriting. Every time when I try to learn a harder song, I just get either distracted or give up looking at the complicated tab. I just feel like quitting already especially when I think that I'm going to start working in the kitchen soon cos everyone says it's a very busy life as a chef and I no longer have time to jam with my band or just play at home. Whenever I remember that I've played for 6 years already but suck so much, I just feel so stumped. Please motivate me, I think this is the biggest 'wall' I've ever hit.

Its the "I suck" mentality that is holding you back.

I would suggest this:

-get over it

- find some music you like..... learn it.... play it.... enjoy it.

if you can't do that..... put the guitar away and do something else.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 7, 2010,
You sir need to stop winning. If i can learn all the things you can't do in 2.5 years then 6 years should be plenty for you to practice. The best things to do is get together with friends or your band that you say you have and just play something. Then when you find something you like write it down then see how that fits into theory, scales and arppegios. Me my self i write according to simple knowledge like i alwaysd remember what the power chords are what the harmonics are what the penatonic patterns are and then go from there its memorization. Good luck , and if you decide for any reason to stop and give up i can give you my mailing adress and u can send me your equipment lol jk jk jk
Variety and passion to dominate all
Oh, also, you could go on youtube and watch guitarists who are far worse than you.

For example:

Purple Haze is always obvious.

And the stairway to the guitar gods!!

Sorry if those people see this post, but seriously...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Oh, also, you could go on youtube and watch guitarists who are far worse than you.

For example:

Purple Haze is always obvious.

And the stairway to the guitar gods!!

Sorry if those people see this post, but seriously...

haha both of them are better than me. but that girl was just awful...and her guitar was like twice the size of her
Quote by ((HeyOh))
haha both of them are better than me. but that girl was just awful...and her guitar was like twice the size of her

Lol, sorry. Didn't mean to pick on anyone. The biggest thing you can learn from them is that it's incredibly important to learn how to play music clearly and with good technique, not grasping for stuff you don't have total control over.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Last edited by hockeyplayer168 at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Lol, sorry. Didn't mean to pick on anyone. The biggest thing you can learn from them is that it's incredibly important to learn how to play music clearly and with good technique, not grasping for stuff you don't have total control over.

lol its no big deal, im a beginner. but yeah thats a pretty good demonstration of how not to learn
Quote by ((HeyOh))
lol its no big deal, im a beginner. but yeah thats a pretty good demonstration of how not to learn

Thinking that way helped me a lot when I wished I could play fast stuff. I knew that most people out there aren't putting in the work that it takes to play the guitar with true accuracy and emotion. Now, I'm beginning to surpass a lot of people around me who spent all their time learning shredding songs only (and I know that someday I'll even be able to shred far better than them because I take the patient approach.)
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

I've been playing for 6 months, and as far as I can see, getting better takes time. Not only do you have to play the guitar, you got to listen to the guitar, study the guitar, and enjoy the guitar.

I have no complete knowledge of music theory, only know a few notes on the guitar, and about 4 or 5 chords, but I'm recording a solo ablum this summer. You dont have to be good at guitar to make good music. I've been playing drums for a year, and just got a bass a week ago.

There were some moments where I thought I'd never get better, but you just gotta keep playing. Print off a tab or two, or record a few riffs of your own songs on a crappy phone recorder.
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Quote by Sitkemkev
You dont have to be good at guitar to make good music.

oh, man. this. so this. for a long time, i thought the opposite, but i realize how stupid that was. i was able to do sweeps cleanly at like 200 bpm, but because i couldn't do the same sweep at 225 bpm, i felt that, since there were people who COULD do it, i had no right to write a song.

it's only recently that i started to break out of that mindset.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
What do you like best about songs? Rhythm riffs or lead solos? Really, once you find out where your vein is, keep progressing from there. For instance, I play very few solos, but I consider myself to be proficient at rhythm guitar. It's just where I'm happiest; I prefer the slower, melodic, bluesy solos when I do play them, but overall I'm a riff guy. Just play what you like. The only music theory I know is the bit I've learned from being in band class, and I've never once taken lessons in four years, I taught myself just because I enjoyed it. I didn't really even think about the technical aspects of guitar until I actually started writing music on my own. And that's the key: if you remain so focused on the various technicalities at first, you'll lose focus of the musical aspect of guitar, and thus your interest. Play because you ENJOY MUSIC, and you'll get the hang of the various technicalities the more you progress.
Oh, and when stuck with a song, just sit down, be patient, and start off slow, chew on one piece at a time. Over Christmas, I did that with the solo for 'Them Bones' and within two hours I had it nailed. Even if it means you keep replaying the song on your computer repeatedly for the sake of memorization, it will help in the end.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by AeolianWolf
oh, man. this. so this. for a long time, i thought the opposite, but i realize how stupid that was. i was able to do sweeps cleanly at like 200 bpm, but because i couldn't do the same sweep at 225 bpm, i felt that, since there were people who COULD do it, i had no right to write a song.

it's only recently that i started to break out of that mindset.

Yeah, I felt sort of that way too. There was the assumption that once I reached the "shredding plateau," the guitar would start making beautiful music for me.

Only now am I realizing that I must find that music in my head. I'm learning that it's far more rewarding in my mind to play something simple from the soul than something fast out of the blue. I know that eventually, that day will creep up on me where "shredding" will have become a natural expression and not just a lick, you know?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

since were on the topic of shredding and plateaus i might as well join in haha

I kind of feel the same way.. until i can use every mode of melodic, natty and harmonic minor i dont feel like writing songs.. I have riffs and stuff just i want soloing to be fluent and graceful but still fast..

Ill hear something in my head, start to play it and once i mess up I get really discouraged
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by seymour_jackson

I kind of feel the same way.. until i can use every mode of melodic, natty and harmonic minor i dont feel like writing songs.. I have riffs and stuff just i want soloing to be fluent and graceful but still fast..

Ill hear something in my head, start to play it and once i mess up I get really discouraged

you mean shapes? or do you mean seriously trying to compose something in superlocrian?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by seymour_jackson

Honestly, you have to go after the music in your head. Learning scales will certainly help, but having the ability to translate from your head to the guitar is most important in soloing. Your soloing will not be fluent at all if you don't practice that.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by Broken-pick

Basically, I can't do any of that stuff either and personally I don't care if I can. I think you're more of a songwriter, what you described you're doing with guitar sounds so boring even if it is extremely aspirational and I admire your attempts to learn it all, I'm just too lazy to bother haha. I'm a terrible guitarist. You have a POD XT no? You have an ibanez SA series no? Plug your ibanez into the POD and make the weirdest noises known to man, make music out of them, listen to music that truly inspires you and blows your brains onto the *$*£ing floor with it's awesomeness and use that inspiration to create some amazing music and blow other peoples brains onto the floor with YOUR awesomeness. And while your at it don't give a flying &£*$ that it doesn't involve elitist complexity. Screw it, have fun and enjoy music, music is meant to be pleasant and relaxing after all. . I don't hear radiohead making music which is particularly 'OMG HARD' and they're one of the biggest bands in the world at the moment.

Hope that helped.