Hi all,

I just wanted to play guitar using my Boss DS-1 Pedal, but when I turned on my amp it started humming and went all crazy and stuff. And when I turn the effect on it even gets worse.. I have no other effects linked to the DS-1 so that can't be the problem. I have also tried various cables of which I know that they are working.

Please help me.. I'm kinda desperate xD
Just to be clear it's the DS1 and not the amp? So the amp sounds fine when you're just plugged straight into that?

Can you describe the noise a bit more? Is it humming like a 60Hz hum? IS it cracking and popping? Hissing?
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Nope, it's not the amp. When I just plug a cable direct from my guitar in the amp I can play without any noise.

The noise is a bit of humminh and cracking (with some additional pops) sounds like there's something wrong in the connection..
Nope, it's not the amp. When I just plug a cable direct from my guitar in the amp I can play without any noise.

The noise is a bit of humminh and cracking (with some additional pops), it shifts pitch all the time..
What amp do you have? Are you setting it to clean and then using the DS-1 for distortion? Does your amp have any distortion?
Sometimes when you set your amp clean, you won't hear the hum but if you turn the amps gain up, the hum becomes apparent. You may think it's the DS-1 because the DS-1 is adding the gain to make the hum audible.

Make sure you check your amp with the guitar plugged directly in and some gain up.

Do you have another distortion pedal to try just to make sure it's the DS-1?

If your positive it's the DS-1:
- Open it and check to make sure one of the pots hasn't become loose and turned and hit the side of the enclosure or another pot.
- Are you using a battery or an AC power supply? If you are using a generic AC power supply, it can hum like crazy especially if it's unregulated. It could be giving you ~ 12 - 17volts if it's unregulated.
If you can't fix your DS-1 I don't want mine anymore.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.