This might be the wrong thread and all, but I'm just getting sick of it.
Recently, my voice has hit the stage where it squeaks out every now and again.
(yes, vocal puberty, yuk it up)
But how can I break through that?
How can I get that stage over quicker?
I want to get my range up, any techniques?
Haha, I guess this thread doesn't have any main topic.
Can't you facade past the truth, and hide the lies?
If your goal is to be a singer with range stay away from metal. Metalcore screaming is not singing. So if your goal is to become a metal "singer". Please don't all the world needs is some kid running around trying to snap a vocal chord. That stuff isn't singing it noise pollution. I hope you know that when you scream like that it actually breaks your vocal chord. Then it heals with a big knot where it broke. That's when you will realize that you lost even more range. Professional singers try to not even talk to prevent vocal issues so screaming is like starting your car and revving it up all the way without putting it in gear. You can only do damage and nothing good will come of it. If you want to sing please do it's a beautiful art form, but if you want to scream save your breath. Your band members can't help you when you can't talk ever again. Be a drummer everybody needs a good drummer. For a singer to gain range first find the note ,then the tone ,then the volume, and range will build. Screaming will take it all away.
Please don't talk if you don't know what your talking about. Screaming doesn't ruin your chords if done right, neither does distorted singing. If done wrong though, it will destroy your chords.

If you're just yelling into the mic for your 'scream', then you are doing it wrong, and you will NOT be able to sing after-wards.

If you're truly doing right screaming, such as proper growling, your throat will get hoarse if you sing afterwards for a little while, but you build up endurance quickly and it stops being hoarse.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 7, 2010,
I'm not going to judge the type of music you like. If you want to do metalcore, go for it, more power to you. However...

Any type of rasp in your sound at all, most of all the screaming, is quite directly the sound of your mechanism being irritated. I'm not making a value judgment here, I do raspy vocals all the time, but once you're irritating your chords, clean singing becomes increasingly more difficult. If you're just straight up screaming, as in metalcore, the only sound you're hearing is the sound of your cords getting ****ed up. You could go the Melissa Cross route and use vocal fry, but it sounds a little silly.

In short, asking why you can't sing after screaming is a little like asking why you can't lift relatively light objects after spending a day thrashing your muscles at the gym. It's not puberty, and it's not an ability thing. The best you can do is use as little abrasion as possible when you're screaming, drink tons of water, and hope for the best.
Alot of people have been posting this lately... Screaming is NOT rasp, and rasp is NOT screaming. I do both and they are clearly very different mechanisms in the throat just by feel, and by how you technically do them (Though false chords are involved in how I get some of my rasp). It's more irritating for me to do rasp, then to do any type of screaming (I don't really get any irritation doing either, so...)

I think you're idea of screaming is the throat tightened Nirvana stuff, but all of the heavy metal screaming you hear is either false chord, growling (Which uses the false chords), fry, or slayer style yelling.

Fry does NOT damage your chords, and false chord does MINIMAL TO NO damage to your chords if DONE RIGHT, being the key.

The ventricular fold, which lies directly above the vocal chords is a thick membrane that regenerates. You bash these togethor to make the screaming noise if done right; not your regular vocal chords. Your regular chords are used minimally to get a more crackly tone (Which is why people state reduce, not eliminate damage), but it's no worse then adding rasp to your voice.
Quote by Venice King
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 9, 2010,
I'm gonna call it:
anyone who thinks the vocal cords look like a vagina has never seen a real vagina.
Now that he DOES put it that way, admit it bears a resemblance hahaha :P
Quote by Venice King
winged and chaingarden are those kind of guys who hate metal and say that anything related to it is bad and talentless. Don't listen to them (in fact, don't listen to anyone who likes Chris Cornell xD). If done right, screaming is not harmful. I'm no pro to give you any advice abou that, but you should check The Zen of Screaming by Melissa Cross, you may find it helpful
Quote by RSevlp45
winged and chaingarden are those kind of guys who hate metal and say that anything related to it is bad and talentless. Don't listen to them (in fact, don't listen to anyone who likes Chris Cornell xD). If done right, screaming is not harmful. I'm no pro to give you any advice abou that, but you should check The Zen of Screaming by Melissa Cross, you may find it helpful

Please. Do us all a favor, and next time you're about to speak, don't. I simply warned him. I sing metal all the time, but I'm also aware that much of it damages your voice. It's the risk you take. If you have some insight, fine. If you're gonna mudsling and add nothing of value, you're more useful quiet. The fact of the matter is many here are pros, and it would do those like yourself well to take some well-informed advice.
I'm not convinced completely that there's a way to scream without damaging your vocal chords. However it does seem like you can learn techniques to damage your chords less. I've had a quick peak at the "Zen of Screaming" video, there's a part where they chuck a camera down Melissa's throat to show it's not damaging. The video still shows that the vocal chords are very tight, especially compared to videos of proper, more traditional singing.

And I nearly immediately banned Ghast before looking properly at the picture
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In my (admittedly limited) experience, "screaming" teachers will tell you that they are NOT teaching you how to scream "safely" as there is no such way, but moreso are teaching you how to do it WITH THE LEAST DAMAGE POSSIBLE. anyway, i've forgotten what the OP wanted to know now..

..right. I think the reason for that happening is simular to when you go suddenly from falsetto back into your natural voice. When you're first starting it, this can be rather difficult but it really is a case of practisepractisepractise. It comes gradually in time like many other techniques. Of course, screaming is a significantly different technique but I would imagine that the principles are the same.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not convinced completely that there's a way to scream without damaging your vocal chords. However it does seem like you can learn techniques to damage your chords less. I've had a quick peak at the "Zen of Screaming" video, there's a part where they chuck a camera down Melissa's throat to show it's not damaging. The video still shows that the vocal chords are very tight, especially compared to videos of proper, more traditional singing.

And I nearly immediately banned Ghast before looking properly at the picture

I know the videos your talking about too, they're tight (Especially since during her singing they're WIDE open), but they're not banging together, and thats the difference I think.
Quote by Venice King
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by Cheeseman07
I'm gonna call it:
anyone who thinks the vocal cords look like a vagina has never seen a real vagina.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Can't you facade past the truth, and hide the lies?