Here's the dealio: A few weeks ago I started playing basketball again.
I quited 7 months ago because I am lazy like that and it didnt fit into my decadent college lifestyle.

Now all of a sudden I acquired all these physical problems that I never had before. Most of them went away after getting used to playing again but there is one thing that just doesnt resolve on its own.

When I work hard and get heated up, something that comes natural to playing sports ofcourse and I cool down I can't work out hard after. As soon as I go for a second practice round and I am warmed up I get these really painfull cramps in my calves. I've tried to ignore them but if I continue playing my whole leg just freezes up with cramps and that pain is pretty unbearable. it feels like a torn muscle.

Is there anyone here who plays sports and has had this kind of problem.

I have already taken up stretching, something I never did when I was younger (18 whereas I am 19 now). Back then I barely even ran a warm-up drill and I never got an injury or anything.

Its also not possible to stay warmed up because well, I'm not that in shape anymore and last time I played we watched some tapes on techniques inbetween practices.

thanks in advance
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Cramps can be caused by dehydration... Are you drinking enough water while you're exercising?
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
That is also something I never used to do. I never drank alot of water during practice before.. But that is something that I am doing now because I'm not in the shape and I get tired pretty quickly. So I don't know. too much water and I feel puffy if you know what I mean.

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
Quote by KGB_INC
Cramps can be caused by dehydration... Are you drinking enough water while you're exercising?

Exactly what I was going to say. I used to get calf cramps, then i started drinking a lot of water and they went away.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
You're probably just unfit. You can't spend 7 months lazing around then start doing so much intense physical activity again straight away and expect to not get aching muscles etc.
Quote by StonaLemons
You're probably just unfit. You can't spend 7 months lazing around then start doing so much intense physical activity again straight away and expect to not get aching muscles etc.

+1
Quote by captaincrunk
Water could definitely help, stretching too. Also, don't just sit on your ass after you're done. Make sure you're at least doing cool down exercises.

And eat bananas. Work like magic for getting rid of cramps.
haha, this thread brings back great memories from the waterboy! go for the Gatorade dude. electrolytes are your friends...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Will-kun
That is also something I never used to do. I never drank alot of water during practice before.. But that is something that I am doing now because I'm not in the shape and I get tired pretty quickly. So I don't know. too much water and I feel puffy if you know what I mean.

Well, I'd say drink a half of a bottle of water before you start. I was always told to drink about 6 ounces for every 20-30 minutes of exercise. So, I would say drink you should drink a whole bottle to replace the water you lost after about an hour of exercise. That's just a good estimate. More definately doesn't hurt though.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by joshua029
haha, this thread brings back great memories from the waterboy! go for the Gatorade dude. electrolytes are your friends...

Gatorade is highly overrated. Sure it rehydrates you, but it doesn't do anything water can't do.
Quote by StonaLemons

No. If you're unfit, you'll start running out of breath quickly and/or will just get ache later on.

Water is very important, but strangely enough, my brother and I used to get severe cramps daily and managed to stop them by walking slower. But water seems your best bet.
Quote by Craigo
No. If you're unfit, you'll start running out of breath quickly and/or will just get ache later on.

Water is very important, but strangely enough, my brother and I used to get severe cramps daily and managed to stop them by walking slower. But water seems your best bet.

No, cramps can be a sign of bad physical condition according to my dad, and he's a physiotherapist.
Sounds like a Charlie Horse to me. Like everyone else has said drink lots of water and make sure you're over-excerting yourself. It's important to have a few days off during the week to rest so your muscles can rebuild and get stronger.
Quote by CodChick
Sounds like a Charlie Horse to me. Like everyone else has said drink lots of water and make sure you're over-excerting yourself. It's important to have a few days off during the week to rest so your muscles can rebuild and get stronger.

Yea we only have one or two practices a week over here so I get plenty of rest for my legs. But when I am there I want to get everything out of me. I want to go 110% which I cant always manage due to cramps and stuff.

I'll try drinking more water, seems reasonable.

thanks guys

oh btw:
Quote by SG_dave
That's as far as i could go.

He's foreign. I think his main language is Portugese (if I remember History class well enough)? Give him a break. I say he did exceptionally well with constructing sentences in English.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by Will-kun
Yea we only have one or two practices a week over here so I get plenty of rest for my legs. But when I am there I want to get everything out of me. I want to go 110% which I cant always manage due to cramps and stuff.

I'll try drinking more water, seems reasonable.

thanks guys

Protein powders and shakes also help your muscle recover faster but they're kind of expensive.
Quote by SG_dave
Jus' sayin.

uuuhh you mean that quitTed typo? My english isn't that bad. My forum english is horrendous though. Really, I can not be bothered to construct propper sentences on UG. Besides my knowledge of grammar overal is something I should probably be ashamed of.

I'm Dutch by the way. So my second language would be broken english with an accent.

oh btw:
Quote by Will-kun
uuuhh you mean that quitTed typo? My english isn't that bad. My forum english is horrendous though. Really, I can not be bothered to construct propper sentences on UG. Besides my knowledge of grammar overal is something I should probably be ashamed of.

I'm Dutch by the way. So my second language would be broken english with an accent.

Ah. I just saw that you were from Angola and guessed. My bad.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by Will-kun

It isn't a typo. The past participle should be 'quit'.
Quote by Shenlong
It isn't a typo. The past participle should be 'quit'.

ah. Well, as i said....

I'm planning on working on grammar a bit over the summer. Talk to me again in a month or four. :P

oh btw:
go to a pharmacy and buy a bottle of potassium pills and take 3 of those before a hard practice. Potassium deficit and dehydration cause cramps.
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

You should try improving your general endurance, try jogging for a few weeks.
Or, like my sports teacher used to say: "Niet zeiken, basketballen!" (Don't whine, play basketball)
im suprised no one has mentioned this properly, but it could be your diet that's restricting you. If you've been eating junk food lately you've probably not been getting enough carbohydrates. This is probably the biggest cause of cramps there is. If you cannot change your diet, try adding in things like banana's or jaffa cakes/jelly sweets before training. These get to work really quickly and will boost endurence.
Quit moaning and play. Its the best way to get fitter and better for any sport (without trying) !
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Gatorade is highly overrated. Sure it rehydrates you, but it doesn't do anything water can't do.

It restores electrolytes, especially important after urination. Water doesn't.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Another thing I suggest doing is just walking a lot of places. It's exercise, and it strengthens your legs, increases your endurance, burns calories, helps you get into shape, etc. but it isn't intense and tiring. Eventually, your walking will turn into running, which will NOT result in immense tiring or cramps because you'll be better conditioned and hopefully will remember to stay hydrated by then.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Drink lots of water, but not all at once. Every time you get a break take a few sips, even if you don't feel thirsty.

Also, Gatorade and bananas. Especially if you're taking long breaks to watch film or whatever, eat a banana while you're sitting around.

Stretch.
Dehydration? Your muscles and body not used to that kind of exercise (anaerobic?).

I actually just got back from a run a few hours ago, ran for 15. Then did three laps around a track, every lap i would stop and do 20 pushups. Then i stopped for a few minutes and sprinted the entire lap. When i was done i had incredibly stiffening cramps in my legs but thats because i havent deon anaerobic exercises in a long time.

You just gotta progress slowly, while not totally blowing yourself out everytime.
Sounds like you didn't "detrain" dude. You can't just quit a sport you play really heavily cold turkey. Otherwise you encounter problems such as weight gain after giving up an active lifestyle (VERY common. Freshmen 15 anybody?), cramps, fatigue, and if it's serious enough (we're talking bodybuilders suddenly not lifting at all) even bone issues.

You're the learning the hard way that you need to detrain. Yours should simply stop after a while, but make sure if you ever get into serious weight lifting or anything like that... DON'T just stop, make it gradual.

How seriously were you into basketball?
Quote by l3vity
im suprised no one has mentioned this properly, but it could be your diet that's restricting you. If you've been eating junk food lately you've probably not been getting enough carbohydrates. This is probably the biggest cause of cramps there is. If you cannot change your diet, try adding in things like banana's or jaffa cakes/jelly sweets before training. These get to work really quickly and will boost endurence.

True.

People saying ''oh you know nutrition is important, you have to eat right'' sound like broken records and it just sounds so unimportant when they say it. Even the word ''nutrition'' just spells out ignore and **** off lol

but truth is, it is very important. And is often ignored, people think any food that fills your stomach does the job like any other food. Not true.

and yeah, bananas are actually awesome power foods.
"Dammit man, work past the pain!"

-Jay "Gummy" Dunphy
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.