Poll: Should 'Offensive' Billboards Be Taken Down?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should 'Offensive' Billboards Be Taken Down?
Yes
6 6%
No
79 75%
Not Sure
8 8%
Unwitty, Unoriginal Response
12 11%
Voters: 105.
Page 1 of 2
I noticed this on the news and wondered what people thought.

Should this advertisements be banned if some people consider them offensive?

What do you think about the one in that article?

Discuss...

EDIT: Considering the billboard was taken down due to planning regulations, discuss whether ads that cause a few people offence should get taken down. The one in the link isn't an example of this, however.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Jun 7, 2010,
The content of the advert may have prompted the complaint, but it was upheld because the size breaches local planning rules.
it would be offensive if just maybe she was naked but so far i see nothing wrong.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I'm sorry, but banning something because some people are offended is just plain stupid.

You know what? I'm offended by cute puppies. I want them banned!

Edit: Shit. Indeed ↓
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Last edited by Got Guitar? at Jun 7, 2010,
It's not the content, it's the size and location. Misleading thread title is misleading.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I like that VW ad

It's stupid how easily adverts and other methods of marketing can be shot down because one lonely old bat in Hull decides that she wouldn't like her imaginary grandkids to see this 'offensive content'. People don't understand the modern times in which we live, no-one cares about this type of content any more, I mean, it's just a womans body.
Quote by whalepudding
Look at your guitar. Is it small, stripy, and honey-producing? If so, you might have gotten it mixed up with a bee.

Quote by WillPlayForFood
My last room mate came hoem drunk kicked my door in and proceeded to roll me up into my futon matress. He can go to hell for that.
I think they wanted it down because it makes the people feel bad about themselves because they don't look as good. And who is that sensitive to an advertisement? It's only an ad and personally I think if it doesn't apply to you just ignore it
Quote by Jackal58
It's not the content, it's the size and location. Misleading thread title is misleading.

When I saw it on TV they focused on the fact the ad caused offence, I didn't read the article.

S A D B O Y S
Nope, ads that are genuinely offensive should be taken down, ads that offend some people's puritan morals should not.
However this one didn't have planning permission and so isn't a good example.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Nope, ads that are genuinely offensive should be taken down, ads that offend some people's puritan morals should not.

Only if I get to define offensive.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Pretty ridiculous, I don't want to unleash a Daily Mail-esque rant, but I hate the planning permission regulation. I can understand not wanting a free for all of new buildings, but I hate the whole concept of having to get permission to do something legal.

Quote by Tom 1.0
I would.... and i dont think its worse than alot of things, M&S ads spring to mind...

oh and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0a06gsiF4&feature=related

is more offensive...

That is so sweet. What's wrong with M&S ads, though? That French model they have is gorgeous.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Jackal58
Only if I get to define offensive.

Nope.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Ramsgate's a shithole, so this advert should be hailed, rather than taken down, even if it doesn't comply with planning laws.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by magnus_maximus
I hope you don't mean the one with the short black hair. The black girl they had was WHOOOOOOOOOOOOA.

Don't worry, she's exactly the one I mean. PHWOOOOOOOOOOOAAAARR LADS, GIMME A RIDE ON DAT.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh

That is so sweet. What's wrong with M&S ads, though? That French model they have is gorgeous.

nothing,

i love them

i just meant there is more flesh and provocative shit in thos ads that one quite tasteful still photo

Hot damn.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Was this on HIS shop?

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Nope.

Why not? I know offensive when I do it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Are you guys on about the model that dated Claude Makelélé?

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
Are you guys on about the model that dated Claude Makelélé?

Maybe, can't be certain. I just know her as the French girl who gives me a poke-on. i read she had a mental breakdown.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
What's 'offensive' about it?

I could understand if it was something like this, but seriously...

Quote by freddaahh
Maybe, can't be certain. I just know her as the French girl who gives me a poke-on. i read she had a mental breakdown.

Sounds like my kind of woman.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Most ads are ok. The ones I don't like are the ones that I think should be banned are the tampon and pad commercials that come one while I eat. It's easy to just say no to an area between 5-7 in the afternoon and I don't have to watch a single pad absorb an entire water tower or think about bloody tw@.
Quote by CTFOD

Offensive is subjective, and an old biddy found it offensive.
The council then investigated the complaint, because they are obliged to do so, and discovered that the poster broke their planning regulations, because it had been put up in a conservation area.
tl;dr - the poster was ordered down because of planning regulations; not because it was deemed offensive by any official body
A good advert shouldn't generally offend the people it is hoping to reach because that would make it bad puplicity. But if one nut decides that something is offensive - I couldn't care less.

The tolerance level towards adverts is very different from country to country. In Denmark we have a popular series of commercials which I am certaion would never air in prime time in USA.

It's in Danish so you won't understand what they are saying. Before you see it, it should be noted that the woman in the commercials is a man in a costume and the man is a woman in a costume.
The commercial is for a phone company. Viewer discretion is adviced - it's wierd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuI_dZAg1dA
Quote by CTFOD

Wow. And there I was, just about to thrash my girlfriend....

That's better than those horrible teen domestic violence ads doing the rounds currently here. Maybe they're effective because they're so uncomfortable to watch, but I'd still wish for a different approach. Take a leaf out of Oz's book.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
He's in the wrong, because of local laws, so he should take it down. He should also not try and defend it by saying 'we're in a recession'.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Genuinely? Anyone can be offended by literally anything at all. People shouldn't censor themselves because some people dislike what other people have to say.

edit: In fact one thing that no one has the right to do is tell people what they are offended by. You can't say 'well you're not really offended' because they might be, people can be offended by all sorts of stupid shit, they may be offended over something silly but that's not the point. This is why no one should have an advert or anything else censored because people dislike the content.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by freddaahh
Wow. And there I was, just about to thrash my girlfriend....

That's better than those horrible teen domestic violence ads doing the rounds currently here. Maybe they're effective because they're so uncomfortable to watch, but I'd still wish for a different approach. Take a leaf out of Oz's book.

The best example of an australian > Teen ponces watching themselves say bad words to their girlfriends.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
What is wrong with people that they think people actually care about them being offended. Everybody is offended by stuff but most of us have the decency to keep it to ourselves. So someone's offended by this advert, well they can f*ck off, i'm offended they weren't drowned at birth for being such a loud mouth prick.
That VW advert's good, how can that be seen as offensive.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Genuinely? Anyone can be offended by literally anything at all. People shouldn't censor themselves because some people dislike what other people have to say.

edit: In fact one thing that no one has the right to do is tell people what they are offended by. You can't say 'well you're not really offended' because they might be, people can be offended by all sorts of stupid shit, they may be offended over something silly but that's not the point. This is why no one should have an advert or anything else censored because people dislike the content.

Ya, not really though.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by jfreyvogel
People getting offended: dumb.

Requiring planning permission: dumber.

+1
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya, not really though.

Pretty much anything yes. Some people get 'offended' by the idea being gay isn't illegal or at least i bet there are a few people who would say that. Some people were 'offended' by this guys advert with his wife in skimpy clothing. Who are you to tell them they arn't really offended? Who decides what gets to be offensive?

People shouldn't get their way with things just because they're offended by something, if everything everyone got offended by was censored then it would be absurd.
Page 1 of 2