I've been playing for a little over 2 years and been practicing sweep picking for about 5-6 months. I can do 3 string sweeps and 5 string sweeps, but they don't sound very clean even when I play them slow.

I use my thumb to mute the strings when I ascend, but that doesn't work when I decend. I tried using my finger on my left hand to mute the strings when I decend, but that doesn't always work. I've heard of people palm muting the strings when they sweep, but I can't do that.

I want to know if their is somethign i'm not getting about sweep picking or if it might be my guitar.
Quote by jfreyvogel
It isn't the guitar. It is difficult though to critique your technique without watching you play. Could you make a video perhaps?

The closes thing to making a video I could do is make an audio track.
If it still sounds sloppy when you're playing slow, play even slower.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Use the palm mute technique on the string as you go... right after you hit the string instead of muting them right when you hit it, and remember to play them very slowly, until you can play them perfect, then gradually speed up your metronome. It's going to take a while. but this way you will be able to play them a lot better.
It has work for me.