Quick question.
Don't send me to google, I've been researching this and just can't figure it out.

Will under powering speakers damage them?
How do I know if they're getting the right amount of power from the receiver?

I'm looking at getting this receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RGR50U/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1J7WSBJHTGUFA

And these speakers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OG6I6A/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ASH1H6YCFH4EF

The receiver says its 400 watts, 100 to each channel.
Does that mean they will be able to power the 120w speakers?

So confused, please help me out.

Thank you.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

under powering speakers will not hurt them u just wont get the most out of the speakers
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
What's all this stuff on the net about clipping?

And on amazon, where I've been shopping, only about 20% of the receivers are for over 100 watts, and they have very few speakers under 100w when compared to amounts of higher wattage ones.

If you crank the amp and it clips then its very bad for the speakers, otherwise they will be fine. But generally it is best to get an amp with more headroom but its not nesseccary.
Last edited by So-Cal at Jun 7, 2010,
That setup will work fine. I have a 50 watt amp driving my 100 watt speakers. The wattage of the speakers is the maximum that they will take and clipping only occurs when the amp is turned up past halfway. I hope that helps.
Unless you're turning it up almost all the way all the time, it won't make much difference at all.
Eeeexcellent.

Thanks to everyone.
I'm already making a $600 purchase for my audio setup and I really didn't want to have to upgrade the receiver too.

Also, how am I supposed to connect my sub to the receiver?

Absolute noob to all this.