I've currently got an Ibanez GSR200 and wish to upgrade for my birthday, my price range is around the £500 mark.

I usually play Metal, Rock, Blues (how many times has a UG forum heard that before) and I want to have a Steve Harris' treble sort of sound but consider Fenders to expensive, well from what I have seen anyway.

I know this is a bit of a dodgy request but I wish to call on my fellow Bass Players for their vast knowledge, so I can finally decide what to buy for my birthday in August.

Thanks.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Last edited by Headcrusher! at Jun 7, 2010,
You could pick up a Fender MIM P or J bass for that sort of money, or at a stretch a used MIA.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
warwick corvette. there are some on ebay. not a rockbass those suck
The MIM is nice, what is a Jazz Neck though on the Bass? Is the neck changed in some way?
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Jazz neck just means that it's slimmer. Fender Jazz basses have a slimmer neck than a Precision bass, so they sometimes call slimmer necks "jazz necks".

For that price range, I'd tell you to look for a MIM Fender, used MIA Fender, Sterling by MusicMan Ray34.

I wouldn't suggest a used Warwick, like cainmd suggested. I feel like they'll be too dark and growly for the tone you want. But if you find that you do want that, a used Corvette would do the trick. Or RockBass. Alot of people hate them around here, but I think that they're pretty decent. Not amazing, but worth it.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I'd go for a Jap Fender. can't go wrong with one of them.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by lkngro
Jazz neck just means that it's slimmer. Fender Jazz basses have a slimmer neck than a Precision bass, so they sometimes call slimmer necks "jazz necks".

For that price range, I'd tell you to look for a MIM Fender, used MIA Fender, Sterling by MusicMan Ray34.

I wouldn't suggest a used Warwick, like cainmd suggested. I feel like they'll be too dark and growly for the tone you want. But if you find that you do want that, a used Corvette would do the trick. Or RockBass. Alot of people hate them around here, but I think that they're pretty decent. Not amazing, but worth it.

A warwick corvette can pretty much fit into any style of music IMO
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
fender mia p used
fender mia j used
warwick corvette used
go to a store and try those three, although the used mias might be pushing your budget, trust me its a lot better to get an instrument that lasts, rather than coming here in a year and asking about another upgrade