Page 1 of 2
If you were given the power to be as good as either one of those two, which would you pick?

and why?

no reasons like ' he has a hot bod' as i'm sure many of you would say! just based purely on guitar playing abillity?
Is this even a legitamate question?

You're comparing one of the greatest guitar players in history to a somewhat decent player that uses an overload of effects.

I'd go with Page because he plays more than just wah-wah and killswitch sequences.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
inb4

All hell breaking loose/shit storm
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Quote by jibbyc
If you were given the power to be as good as either one of those two, which would you pick?

and why?

no reasons like ' he has a hot bod' as i'm sure many of you would say! just based purely on guitar playing abillity?

page man he's the only one for me although tom is very good
sticking with page
Neither. It just depends on what you, the listener/audience thinks and how you feel about each of them. I don't personally like either of them.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Can you even compare the two? o_o Their styles are way different. But I'd go with Jimmy anyways, he's one of my favorite guitarists of all time. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
tom morello is a great guitarist and an awesome songwrtier, but i would take jimmy page's guitar ability over tom's... he's ****ing magical.
Wtf man! Thats just like comparing a basketball player to a hockey player.

Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
technically, they're about the same - maybe page has slightly better technique than morello.

they're both very influential guitarists, but i think page has the edge here too. morello uses effects in a completely innovative and fresh way, but page has helped create an entire generation of music.

i like them both, but i've got to go with page on this one.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
You can't compare the two, they have two completely different playing styles. Its like trying to compare apples and oranges. Page pretty much pioneered hard rock and Morello is one of the most inventive guitarists in rock and roll.
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Neither. I'd prefer to have my own style, as opposed to something identical to what has been done and popularized by someone else. If I had to choose, though, I would go with JP simply because Morello relies too heavily on effects for me.
How are you defining "better guitarist"? So I know how to decide.

Because neither of them are really "good". Page was very sloppy though I like a lot of the songs and riffs anyway, and appreciate the impact they had. Morello is just whatever, although he has done a lot of interesting things with effects which is a skill all its own.
Lol
Well we all know Led Zep is shite.
I mean who cares about Led Zep these days anyway?
Rage, well they got a number one recently, well nearly!
Led Zep? right, well they are never in the media, unless it's about Robert Plant's Haemorrhoid problems!
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Tom Morello... for the sole reason he influenced me far more... plus ill see him at Donington on Saturday
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Quote by Nameless742
Lol
Well we all know Led Zep is shite.
I mean who cares about Led Zep these days anyway?
Rage, well they got a number one recently, well nearly!
Led Zep? right, well they are never in the media, unless it's about Robert Plant's Haemorrhoid problems!

Obvious troll is Obvious. I happen to know Trolls have a low resistance for fire and I brought my Flamethrower. Booya!

Also Page all the way. Morello stole everything he knows from Urban Dancesquad. None the less rage is pretty cool.
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Hell Yeah!
but seriously, Led Zep's pretty overrated.
Tom Morello's got a load more notice after guitar hero and the whole facebook whatsit.
Both are great guitarists in their own right yus and are totally different in style.
I'd actually say that the obvious troll baiter here is the TS.
This thread has one of the worst subjective arguements ever
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
David Gilmour.

Wait, what was the question?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I think a better comparison would be jimmy page or jimi hendricks. tom morello is a good player but i think page is like a mountain where morello is a volkswagon sized rock... hopefully that puts it into perspective for you...
Page is extremely sloppy. (As a huge zeppelin fan i must admit this).
I haven't really listened to Rage so i can't talk.
Page because.... play stairway to heaven, and then play bomb track or whatever..
which one gets people more excitied??
depends on what you're asking... if it's sheer skill, page. if it's creativity, morello. I prefer morello.
Quote by mr gOiD
Is this even a legitamate question?

You're comparing one of the greatest guitar players in history to a somewhat decent player that uses an overload of effects.

I'd go with Page because he plays more than just wah-wah and killswitch sequences.

my thoughts exactly
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by dillon1022
depends on what you're asking... if it's sheer skill, page. if it's creativity, morello. I prefer morello.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I haven't listened to my fair share of Led Zep, but honestly, I've gone through pretty much every song Morello has put out, and he has talent and skill. He can play more than just effects. He can shred, to an extent (Listen to the 80's band Lock Up and some Rage songs even have those shreddy licks.), he can play the blues, and of course rock solos with his effected signatures. I will admit he isn't the best player out there, but he is very good. He isn't all effects. And the killswitch is not an effect! It is just another picking technique. And to be honest, its very hard to get both hands moving in unison for that.

But I'm not saying Page is bad. I don't have a strong enough foothold to support that.
Gear:
ZT Lunchbox Amp
Schecter C-1+ Diamond Series
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by RHunterGN
I'm not saying you're wrong, I haven't listened to my fair share of Led Zep, but honestly, I've gone through pretty much every song Morello has put out, and he has talent and skill. He can play more than just effects. He can shred, to an extent (Listen to the 80's band Lock Up and some Rage songs even have those shreddy licks.), he can play the blues, and of course rock solos with his effected signatures. I will admit he isn't the best player out there, but he is very good. He isn't all effects. And the killswitch is not an effect! It is just another picking technique. And to be honest, its very hard to get both hands moving in unison for that.

But I'm not saying Page is bad. I don't have a strong enough foothold to support that.

Oh, I'm not saying Morello doesn't have skill, because he definitely does, I'm just saying that page has more than morello.
Morello, he's not as sloppy live, he's incredibly creative, and he IS a good player without effects. People, he has an acoustic project...
yeah, what is it called, The watchmen? i love that song road i must travel.
Last edited by dillon1022 at Jun 8, 2010,
Doesn't really work out. Techically, Page is better becuse Morello relys heavily on effects. Both are great musicians in there own fields though (coughPageisbeastcough)
Jimmy Page; he's a pretty good thief.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Wtf man! Thats just like comparing a basketball player to a hockey player.

This
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I think the whole "Morello relies on effects too much" argument is this sort of myth perpetuated by haters who aren't actually that familiar with his music. I haven't listened to Rage Against the Machine in years, but I recall their self-titled album having some sweet riffs.

Anyway, I'm not really that into either guy's work, and I'm pretty sick of hearing kids talk about 'em.
Obvious troll thread is obvious.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
obviously jimmy page is better, listen to the guitar solos in dazed an confused and heartbreaker
I'd like to be as good as either of them to be honest. Technically Page is no where near as good as Tom whats his face but i like Page a whole lot more.
is like to say: you prefer stairway to heaven or killing in the name of?

Page, for ever..
I prefer killing in the name.

Best. Bass. Ever.

Seriously, you could have sex with that bass-line.
Quote by dillon1022
I prefer killing in the name.

Best. Bass. Ever.

Seriously, you could have sex with that bass-line.

ok, man
but we are speaking about guitar
Page 1 of 2