i here all the time that you are suppose to dual track your guitars when recording for a better sound but when i do,if they are almost exactly spot on together i dont notice anything different from when theres just one recording.so any help on the subject would be great?
Are you panning them on a different channels (e.g. guitar 1 completly on left channel and guitar 2 completly on right channel)?
Hmm.. it seems a lot of people can't grasp this concept at first, but once you learn how to do it, it makes your recordings sound so much fuller.

1. Record the part.
2. Record it again exactly the same. Do not just copy the same file.
3. Pan both recordings between 80% and 100% hard left and hard right.

Also, don't just set up two mics, record once, and pan the two recordings left and right. You actually need to play the guitar part twice, because it's the small inconsistencies that make it sounds so full and stereo.

here's and example. The first part is single tracked, the second part is double tracked.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7699340338634a64/

Really hope this helps
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 7, 2010,
^^ what ignite said and not so much what swarley said. In my experience, copypasting one take to a second track and moving it back X milliseconds just makes it sound echo-y because everything is the same distance apart. When you record the same part twice, each tiny inconsistency is in a slightly different spot compared to the first take. This is what makes you guitar sound fuller. You don't want it to sound like two guitars either though, all youre looking for is a "larger" guitar sound.
Yup. Using a small millisecond delay and be useful sometimes (like for leads, or it's VERY useful for live use, John Petrucci does it to get a more stereo sound out of his rig), but it can sound a bit phasey or echoey like saint22 said.
ok i will try your guys suggestions out.also would it make a difference if i am using pod farm to record?
The main reason for recording twice and not just copying and pasting is that if you have two of the same sine waves playing at the same time you end up with a volume volume boost rather than a thickening in the mix.
Quote by brender
ok i will try your guys suggestions out.also would it make a difference if i am using pod farm to record?

Nope, Pod Farm won't make a difference in this sort of thing. A tip I would give is to make sure that you turn down the gain when you are double tracking. I usually go for about 75% of the normal gain I use. Usually when I double track I just hard-pan (100% panned each direction), but you can also bring them slightly inward to about 80 or so. You can also do things such as quad-tracking which is basically the same concept but with 4 tracks, usually panned -100, -80, 80, 100. It just makes it sound thicker.
What's better, one guitarist playing a riff for you, or 4 guitarists playing the same riff all around you?

Also, if you get into recording vocals and doubling them as well, it's a different process. Usually you don't hard-pan vocals.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
A tip I would give is to make sure that you turn down the gain when you are double tracking. I usually go for about 75% of the normal gain I use.

This is important to remember, gain is additive, so when you double track with the full amount of gain you want on each track, you'll end up with twice the gain on what should be one.
i"ll ask this in here to avoid making another thread.

i am trying to get a good metal tone in pod farm for recording,my question is
would it be better to use dual or a single setup?
When I recorded some tracks for my Mr. Crowley cover. I double tracked the rhythm to give it a much bigger sound so I'd suggest that it would be a good idea for metal tracks.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR