well, it's my first time revisiting guitar for a few years and i know how to read tab perfectly, but i really want to learn how to read sheet music. I used to be a member of forums.ichigos.com and it was a nightmare every time i needed tips and tabs i got no reply i mean i wasnt demanding it but i was accused of demanding it and then people started making fun of me for not being able to read sheet music.

P.S. i left because theyhad stereotypes against guitarists i had no idea pianists could be so cruel
Well obviously you tried to resolve to an augmented 4th, which is giving an unresolved sound. It would sound best to just resolve to the I chord. Ont worry, it didn't sound dumb at all.

Edit: ask a question, don't post a blog.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Jun 7, 2010,
im sorry the question was how do i read sheet music it all looks so confusing D:
Have you even tried typing "how to read sheet music for guitar" into google?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Do you know the notes on the guitar?
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit

i know the type of musicians you're talking about. it's not that pianists are cruel. it's that elitist douchebags are and will be elitist douchebags. not that i can't see why they would stereotype against guitarists...but to shoot down someone with the intent of getting better is just evil.

go to http://www.musictheory.net. there, learn the basics of reading music. you don't need to get into the theory if you dont want to - most of it won't really help you read music (though i advise you to get into it anyway, even if at a later date).

also, keep in mind that guitar is a transposing instrument. it transposes down an octave. what this means is that if you see an E on the bottom line of the treble staff, you'd play the open E string -- even though that E really sounds like the E on the 7th fret of the A string. if this sounds complicated, it's not - just take some time to get acquainted with it.

good luck, and remember, keep at it. sight-reading takes a long time to master effectively, but it's good that you want to get better.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by salsalover
yup EADGBE

hah I meant all the notes. Not just the open strings
Quote by sadSTATUE

Quote by Unknown_Biskit

Quote by gatechballer

hah I meant all the notes. Not just the open strings

Little harsh? He does seem to be a beginner.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

It is kinda funny...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by rockingamer2

Lol I know he's obviously a beginner. I just found it a bit funny.
Learn the notes on the guitar. Like every fret, to where you shouldn't really have to take more than a second to tell what note it is.

I don't know if you wanna spen money or not, but i would suggest buying a book from a music store for this. They are meant to be self explanatory and easy to learn on your own. That's how I learned.

Oh and practice with a metronome.
Quote by sadSTATUE

Quote by Unknown_Biskit

Hey Salsalover! Remember me from Ichigos? I see you took my advice about coming here. I'll forgive you this time. Since this is the best active guitar online community on the net, this is your second chance to redeem yourself after your mishaps at Ichigos. Try not to do anything rash and folks here will be kind enough to help you out with your tab requests.

Quote by AeolianWolf
i know the type of musicians you're talking about. it's not that pianists are cruel. it's that elitist douchebags are and will be elitist douchebags. not that i can't see why they would stereotype against guitarists...but to shoot down someone with the intent of getting better is just evil.

go to http://www.musictheory.net. there, learn the basics of reading music. you don't need to get into the theory if you dont want to - most of it won't really help you read music (though i advise you to get into it anyway, even if at a later date).

also, keep in mind that guitar is a transposing instrument. it transposes down an octave. what this means is that if you see an E on the bottom line of the treble staff, you'd play the open E string -- even though that E really sounds like the E on the 7th fret of the A string. if this sounds complicated, it's not - just take some time to get acquainted with it.

good luck, and remember, keep at it. sight-reading takes a long time to master effectively, but it's good that you want to get better.

Aint happening. Ichigos didn't have any guitar arrangers onboard so a member suggested doing exactly what you said. That's when hell broke lose. Anyone who suggests to a guitarist to try to read "standard notation" and not "tabs" (when we don't even have the right people to make tabs) makes them an elitist and a stereotype right?

Anyways Salsalover, I'm not going to say anything else about your rants against Ichigos because that'll put you in a deeper hole if people find out the truth. Enjoy your stay here and keep out of trouble!
Quote by salsalover
im sorry the question was how do i read sheet music it all looks so confusing D:

Go to my profile, and under contributions read My Lesson Series "Throw The Boy Down The Well" it has recieved very high marks, and has helped a lot of people with your very situation.

Best,

Sean
google. or get some lessons. or there is probably like a "learn music theory for beginners" class in your area or something. or seans article. or look through UG for an article on it.

i prefer having a person actually teach me, because otherwise i feel like i know if im doing it right or not.

good luck!
Quote by salsalover
well, it's my first time revisiting guitar for a few years and i know how to read tab perfectly, but i really want to learn how to read sheet music. I used to be a member of forums.ichigos.com and it was a nightmare every time i needed tips and tabs i got no reply i mean i wasnt demanding it but i was accused of demanding it and then people started making fun of me for not being able to read sheet music.

P.S. i left because theyhad stereotypes against guitarists i had no idea pianists could be so cruel

Get yourself a good ol' method book. Start on page 1 and work your way through. Id do at least the 1st couple of books in the series.

this is a fairly easy series to get through..

http://www.halleonard.com/promo/promo.do?promotion=45&subsiteid=7

The Mel Bay books work fine as well........ theres lots of choices.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 22, 2010,