Ok so here's the story. Iv'e been playing an Electric Ibanez guitar now for about 1.5 years. All throughout that time I've never had a guitar teacher, but I have played piano and still do a little, so sight reading is pretty easy for me. Problem is: I hate reading music on the guitar (IDK if that's what you would call it...notes on music paper and what-not). Tab is really easy to play but I feel like I should start reading music.
So question is:
Should I start reading music more...
or just continue with the tabs?
What are your goals for the guitar?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Reading in the traditional sense is not particularly useful outside the world of classical guitar in my opinion. In a rock context tab is much more useful as it is easier to read on the fly as the thought process is read number=>play corresponding fret, whereas notation requires read note=>choose where on neck to play it (taking pre and proceeding notes into account)=>then play the note. In saying that, with practise, reading "dots" will become just as fast. As a more traditionally trained musician I find the rhythmic notation associated with tab clumsy so I like to have both tab and notation available.
If your goals are just to play to make music and enjoy it for yourself/maybe play in a band, then I would say you don't absolutely NEED to read notation on guitar. as the gentleman above me stated, there are so many different ways to play something written in standard notation that it becomes chaotic, I even know of pieces that are so challenging they come with tab below the notation because there is no possible way a normal human being could figure it out with just standard notation and get it correct.

If you feel like you have some free time I would say try to learn it but don't kill yourself doing so.

If you want to become a college major in guitar and go on to become a scholar of music or something along those lines, then start NOW learning the notation because most music degree programs involve sight reading as a core requirement.

I hope this helps.
My goals/aims: I guesse just to be able to play guitar better. To be able to play whatever someone wants me to. I'll probably be playing with a rock/metal (whatever you want to call it) band soon.
Quote by Kalm
My goals/aims: I guesse just to be able to play guitar better. To be able to play whatever someone wants me to. I'll probably be playing with a rock/metal (whatever you want to call it) band soon.

Then you have to be able to read sheet music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yeah I mean it depends what style of music you plan on playing. If you mean play whatever somebody wants you to play across all styles of music, then YES definitely learn to read. If you are going to stick primarily to the Rock/Metal categories then not so much. If you plan to play classical you definitely need to learn to read. If you plan to play jazz you don't need to learn to read especially quickly but you will need some basic reading skills.