So whats better for what? I'm looking at buying either some EMG 81s or Seymour Duncan Blackouts to put in a guitar I'm building.
Basically...

81 more compressed metal tone. Lots of poeple use them so they have a kind of "generic" metal sound through a good amp.

Sd blackout, a bit less compressed, more natural(passive) sounding but still have very high output.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
You might want to consider the EMG 81X too. It has roughly the same tone as the 81 and it has the same output as the 81, but it has the less compressed response and the lower nosie levels of the SD Blackout series. Plus the X series come with a solderless install system, so if you're building a guitar they couldn't be easier to install.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well i would go with the EMG's. Higher output and with the 81 you have an amazing lead tone along with an awsome clean tone...the blues sound amazing to.
Quote by Behemoth941
Well i would go with the EMG's. Higher output and with the 81 you have an amazing lead tone along with an awsome clean tone...the blues sound amazing to.

Ehhh...hardly. The clean tone on an 81 is alright at best, nothing close to 'awesome' and this is coming from someone who likes EMG's...me!
I like the 85 in the bridge tons better. Better cleans, meatier tone, still great for leads, more rounded than the 81. With the 18v mod is the only way I'd play EMG's.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst