So I have a problem. Suddenly, on my MIA strat, the low E string is substantially quieter than before, much quieter than the other strings, and only on the neck pup. Any ideas?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Let me add that this is after changing strings; it just suddenly changed, so pickup height isnt a problem. I changed strings AGAIN, and same problem..
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
so the 49s was ment to replace the regular low E that came with the slinkies? that might also be just the new string syndrome, i use D'Addario jazz/blues rock strings(11s) and the wound strings always sound kinda muffled for a day or two until they are broke in.

Well I always use normal slinkies, so except for new strings nothing was changed. I figured a supermassive/submassive string maybe, just a lemon. I put an extra D'addario I had and it still was the same. Sounds okay now. Maybe my ear was fooling me.

I know new strings take time to stretch; I'm not new to guitar, so I'm asking if anyone knows of a more technical reasoning. A friend of mine said it sounds fine to him, but it's my strat that I've been playing for a while, so I know when I notice something, even minute.

GLORIOUS EDIT: Figured it out, errbody. I degaussed a pole when I was dressing the frets with steel wool and using a magnet to pick up the filings. I was using a real heavy A8 magnet from a small gasoline engine. Way more powerful than the pup magnets, so rubbing it past it sapped it.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Jun 7, 2010,