Since i started playing guitar i always held my pick the same way which was to put my thumb completely side ways to the pick and my index at like a 45 degree angle and my middle the same but when i pick it grazes the string and i had no problem with it till last Wednesday when the band at the local music shop that im in practiced and heard his alt pick is smooth and clean and then i noticed it in all the music i listen to. My picking sound sloppy and struttery downpicking is fine but my alt picking sounds like
duuuuuuh-da duuuuuuh-da duuuuuuh-da IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP

SO my question is how can i clean it up a bit i already tried holding the pick how everyone sayshow youre supposes to with just the index and thumb I have to use my middle or else i cant pick as fast and i cant hold on to it. Help want to get better and clean it up a bit in a week for the recital.
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Learning to hold the pick properly is key. Don't avoid the correct grip because you can't go as fast, speed will come with time and at any rate - what's the point in playing fast if it sounds like crap?
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
When I practice alternate picking, I usually grab a metronome and start out at a very low tempo. Do a downstroke on 1, upstroke on 2, down on 3, up on 4. Then, by the time I am comfortable with that, I will move up to the next tempo. Do they until I feel comfortable, etc...

You can even do this while playing a 1-2-3-4 pattern on each string to give your left and right hand muscle memory and strength.

Do this until your fingers feel like they are going to bleed or your wrist is locked. Either or. That makes good practice.

Cheers!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
i need my middle finger because my fingers are too weak so should i just move my middle out of the way and relearn like that
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Quote by Thrash_Head1990
i need my middle finger because my fingers are too weak so should i just move my middle out of the way and relearn like that

Unless there's something wrong with your hand he other fingers aren't too weak, it doesn't require any great deal of strength.
Take a look at this video for how to hold the pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
In my opinion, I think you should relearn your picking technique, the video above is a great video to learn from. Whether you choose to relearn or not is your decision, but I'm just putting that out there, you should relearn.