Page 1 of 2
I'm a screamer(who is also trying to learn to sing) and i have wondered for a while... is screaming just a trend?
Also do you think its a limited medium of vocalization?
Discuss.
I AGREE
No, It's not going anywhere for a long time. Also, it's just as limited as normal singing.
Yes, screaming is a trend. As is every other aspect of music. Music is a cycle, everything fades in and out after a few generations.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I hate it with a passion.

For me, it is somewhat a trend, but it's subjective so, it's still a "voice technique" kinda.

For example, I don't know if you would see that kind of screaming as the same, but the "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" in Won't get fooled again by The Who is the kind of scream that fits perfectly in the "voice technique" domain.
Last edited by kevC4 at Jun 7, 2010,
Will being able to scream help me at all with learning to sing?>
I AGREE
Quote by darkcheef
Singing and Vocals forum brah.

****. my bad.
I AGREE
Screaming as it's used now by "screamo" bands(not even a real genre) is retarded. Completely retarded. The point of screaming is to show an extreme outburst of emotion, which gets completely lost if you're screaming the whole goddamn song, in every single song.

Hopefully it's a trend. You can't say for sure.

Quote by darkcheef
Singing and Vocals forum brah.

I don't think that exists...
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Jun 7, 2010,
i think its a trend. i like it. took me a while before i did. originally i despised any music with screaming in it, but now i dont really care.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I like to scream too, you can tell by my huge font. Nah man, it's here to stay
Quote by Ganoosh
Screaming as it's used now by "screamo" bands(not even a real genre) is retarded. Completely retarded. The point of screaming is to show an extreme outburst of emotion, which gets completely lost if you're screaming the whole goddamn song, in every single song.

Bit of an exaggeration

You could argue the same for using distortion on a guitar. Being a traditionalist just limits the music you are open to enjoy.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
A trend since the eighties? Nope.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Quote by bendystraw
I like to scream too, you can tell by my huge font. Nah man, it's here to stay

I figured i would use a big font because it wasnt a long post...
I AGREE
Quote by Ganoosh
Screaming as it's used now by "screamo" bands(not even a real genre) is retarded. Completely retarded.The point of screaming is to show an extreme outburst of emotion, which gets completely lost if you're screaming the whole goddamn song, in every single song.

Who are you to say what the point of screaming is? It can be whatever you want it to be.
a few years ago it had made its way into main stream. Like afi's miss murder and that song by rise against. i think it was just a trend in mainstream, i mean its already came and left. but it will be in metal for a long time
Quote by manmanster
+2381023810928391829387198273
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Bit of an exaggeration

You could argue the same for using distortion on a guitar. Being a traditionalist just limits the music you are open to enjoy.

I used to enjoy it. Now I don't. In regards to this, I'm shamelessly traditional.
Quote by Erik_Aero
Who are you to say what the point of screaming is? It can be whatever you want it to be.

I don't know about you, but I scream in expression of extreme emotion. That's when people scream, so that's the point of screaming. It's like that one guy you know that NEVER cusses. When he gets pissed and tells you to **** off, you know he means business.

That's just my opinion.
Quote by resteaten
a few years ago it had made its way into main stream. Like afi's miss murder and that song by rise against. i think it was just a trend in mainstream, i mean its already came and left. but it will be in metal for a long time

well friend. Metal is all that matters. Ill keep screaming. **** the mainstream haha
I AGREE
screaming is here too stay. this form of screaming on the other hand will probably be on the outs soon.

first we had we had singing then we had the "blues shouter" style of voice, then old school metal screaming, then the 90s had the grungey stuff, now we're seeing a lot of Death growls and pig squeals or whatever. I think that those are about to be ditched and it should start reverting back down and taming out some. thats just my opinion though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Hobo69
well friend. Metal is all that matters. Ill keep screaming. **** the mainstream haha

Is that needed?
Quote by Ganoosh
I don't know about you, but I scream in expression of extreme emotion. That's when people scream, so that's the point of screaming. It's like that one guy you know that NEVER cusses. When he gets pissed and tells you to **** off, you know he means business.

That's just my opinion.

Screaming vocally is pretty unrelated a vocal outburst. In order to professionally pull off harsh vocals without completely ****ing your throat up it takes time. Time I doubt some guy who occasionally throws a temper tantrum is going to put in. So to me, screaming from anger and using harsh vocals are about as related as talking and burping. Sure they both come from the same place, and hell, some people can make them sound similar, but the ain't the same thing
Quote by fleajr_1412

Quote by darkcheef
Is that needed?

why not? Are you a mod or just some ****** with his panties in a bunch?
I AGREE
Quote by Hobo69

You're cool.
Quote by Hobo69

so it begins...
Quote by fleajr_1412

Quote by Hobo69

I just hate it when people like you act like you're 12 and give the whole pit that reputation.
Its another tool that a vocalist can have in their range of skills. Its just like any technique or effect a guitar player would use. I think will be around for a long time, but it'll lose its trend status eventually.
I hope its on the way out and I don't mean that to offend anyone. It was purely my personal preference and I like two things in singing. Melody and being able to actually hear the words(to a certain extent.). I don't mind it when it's mixed with some regular singing, but when it happens the whole song it's just annoying. Basically what I'm trying to say is it does not sound good to my ears..... I hope it stops.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by darkcheef
I just hate it when people like you act like you're 12 and give the whole pit that reputation.

I hate it when people are condescending. So please do realize I can say whatever I want.
I AGREE
Screaming and growling will definitely stay, because it is just another vocal technique. However, a lot of bands that do screaming and growling have been incorporating singing into their music lately, indicating that there will be an even balance between them. It's just another option for vocal styles that some bands will use, and some will not. And for those saying it is strictly meant to display a burst of emotion, that is untrue. It is often used in metal to match the heavy instrumentals whereas singing can often be too soft to fit in with heavy instrumentals.
Quote by Hobo69
I hate it when people are condescending. So please do realize I can say whatever I want.

Quote by fleajr_1412

Quote by Hobo69

Say what you want, just don't be a dick about it
Quote by Hobo69

I think it's here to stay (at least in a few genres of music). It broadens the vocal aspects of songs and creates emotions/feelings that would be almost impossible to achieve without it.
Here to stay definitely. It's just another voice technique.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Ganoosh

I don't think that exists...

Screamo is more underground brand of hardcore, just in case you didn't know.

Quote by Ganoosh

That's just my opinion.

There's many different kinds of art and mediums you can use. I'm not going to call someone retarded whether or not they draw with pencil or with pastels. It's all preference. Some people prefer screaming over singing, as it provides totally different dynamics from singing. Screaming is a totally different 'medium' and style from singing.
Last edited by Dregen at Jun 7, 2010,
Page 1 of 2