Page 1 of 2
Could happen. I was under the impression that if there was going to be any kind of life in the solar system that wasn't here, then it would probably be on Titan. Like, this isn't a new development really. I think.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
That's been theorized for long.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
So their logic is that if there's little vital nutrients then there must be life.

Honestly?
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I heard a seminar by Brian Cox about possible life on two other moons of either Saturn or Jupiter. The names were weird, but I think one was Europa (may be spelled differently). Never heard of this Titan stuff though. Sounds cool.

^ No, ****tard. Their logic is the lack of vital nutrients may possibly suggest there could be life.
Quote by Tubyboulin
I heard a seminar by Brian Cox about possible life on two other moons of either Saturn or Jupiter. The names were weird, but I think one was Europa (may be spelled differently). Never heard of this Titan stuff though. Sounds cool.

^ No, ****tard. Their logic is the lack of vital nutrients may possibly suggest there could be life.

Off the top of my head, Europa is made up of ice (which is, if you haven't noticed, frozen H20, H2O being water, which is the building block of all known life). some scientists theorize that there could be a large ocean under that ice.

But I'd prefer them to stop theorizing and to start finding ways of getting to these places faster, and with manned probes.

Edit: And that's what I meant, retard. That's like saying "Look, there is a miniscule amount of oxegen on that planet, therefore there must be life!"

Unless they can prove it's a shortfall of the stuff.
Bertolt Bretcht

Last edited by KirkMetallica at Jun 7, 2010,
I've talk about this all day at work. I'm an astronomer in an observatory and even if chemistry is not my main thing, I can understand.

The disturbing thing is the lack of hydrogen and acetylene.

This is pretty big, there should be a lot more hydrogen on this moon. So there is something that is capturing (or eating) the hydrogen.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
life is "possible" anywhere. This isn't news to anyone.

Maybe, but there are ideal scenarios which make the existence of life more probable, and Titan is incredibly ideal compared to the rest of the solar system, excluding Earth.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by KirkMetallica
Off the top of my head, Europa is made up of ice (which is, if you haven't noticed, frozen H20, H2O being water, which is the building block of all known life). some scientists theorize that there could be a large ocean under that ice.

But I'd prefer them to stop theorizing and to start finding ways of getting to these places faster, and with manned probes.

Kind of hard when there budgets keep getting cut. I too would like to see some actual exploration.

Yeah, I knew one of them had all the ice on it, and one had gysers of hydrogen I think, or something like that. I just couldn't remember which was which. Gotta watch a video of the talk again.

EDIT: And no ones saying there must be life, which is what I was pointing out. They just said it was a slight possibility, and no one is claiming it's anything close to a fact like you keep suggesting. "There might be life" is a lot different than "There Has to be Life!"
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Jun 7, 2010,
Let's make friends with them, I say.

****ing ICE PEOPLE.
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.
i dont believe
BUT....if there would be life in that moon, i wonder what they would look like
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by KirkMetallica

Edit: And that's what I meant, retard. That's like saying "Look, there is a miniscule amount of oxegen on that planet, therefore there must be life!"

Unless they can prove it's a shortfall of the stuff.

Here is the problem, the only life we know is from earth, so it's certain that every life known is water-based.

Life started from water on earth because we have water on earth.

There is no scientific evidence that a life based on an other chemistry could not spring from an other planet or moon or whatever.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Quote by :Vicious--
i dont believe
BUT....if there would be life in that moon, i wonder what they would look like

most likely like this:
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

Now that we can make life, who cares about extra terrestrials?
Quote by MightyAl
A girl is a mythical creature, somewhat akin to a unicorn, or chimera.
They don't really exist, but it would be cool if they did.
Quote by bellette
most likely like this:

WE'RE DOOMED!
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by TheAlphaXany
Now that we can make life, who cares about extra terrestrials?

? We've always been able to make life dude. Haha
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by espplayer400
? We've always been able to make life dude. Haha

Ok, point taken. I was referring to making life out of chemicals and such. But even if I did mean birth, I still stand by my statement
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by TheAlphaXany
Ok, point taken. I was referring to making life out of chemicals and such. But even if I did mean birth, I still stand by my statement

Just giving you a hard time
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by guitarsftw
WE'RE DOOMED!

ALL ARCHAEBACTERIAS TO THE SPACESHIP! NOW!
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by espplayer400
Just giving you a hard time

I know, I got a cheap laugh out of it myself. Thank you good sir.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by bellette
Here is the problem, the only life we know is from earth, so it's certain that every life known is water-based.

There is no scientific evidence that a life based on an other chemistry could not spring from an other planet or moon or whatever.

Yeah, in my saying of "all known life" I was covering myself from anyone cross examining my post
Bertolt Bretcht

did anyone see the GIANT picture of mr. freeze?
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Sounds like they are very tentative to even consider that it might be some form of life, so I'm not going to get too excited about that finding yet.
That's cool. I've heard and read many times that life is possible on a few moons in our solar system. They're most likely just single-celled organisms that don't need much to live, like archaea here. I can believe it.
Quote by guitarsftw
WE'RE DOOMED!

We are all going to be killed.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by bellette
I've talk about this all day at work. I'm an astronomer in an observatory and even if chemistry is not my main thing, I can understand.

The disturbing thing is the lack of hydrogen and acetylene.

This is pretty big, there should be a lot more hydrogen on this moon. So there is something that is capturing (or eating) the hydrogen.

This guy is legit. Carl Sagan avatar
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
My view on extra terrestrials is that they definitely do exist, but on a planet so far away that there is no way that we could ever make contact with them. I'm not really going to get my hopes up about this.
Quote by patbuck2
That's cool. I've heard and read many times that life is possible on a few moons in our solar system. They're most likely just single-celled organisms that don't need much to live, like archaea here. I can believe it.

Single-celled organisms would still constitute one of the most, if not the most, important discoveries in human history.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by RobinTrower12
My view on extra terrestrials is that they definitely do exist, but on a planet so far away that there is no way that we could ever make contact with them. I'm not really going to get my hopes up about this.

It's quite plausible that hundreds of millions of years ago, Mars was just like Earth (but due to a whole bunch of reasons, it is the way it is now) and life on Earth originated from Mars.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Holy Katana
No, it's supposed to be Europa that has life!

*MASSIVE e-cookie for reference*

2010: Odyssey 2, and the rest of the Space Odyssey books onwards.

Cookie. Give me. Now.
Quote by you = fail
This guy is legit. Carl Sagan avatar

I'm paid to quote Sagan at work. And i'm the best.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by crazy8rgood
2010: Odyssey 2, and the rest of the Space Odyssey books onwards.

Cookie. Give me. Now.

As promised, a massive e-cookie.
^ dear god that looks delicious.

Awesome books, too.

Except the last one, 3001: The Final Odyssey. That one was balls.

EDIT: And the third one dragged a bit, too.

So mainly 2001 and 2010 are awesome books.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by bellette

i was under the impression that life on earth was Carbon based, they simply use water for carrying out basic functions.

and yes, there's plenty of information on alternative bases for life and why it could or could not happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry

Carbon based life with water is the most probable to occur which is why we look for it more often than anything else.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
That's one of the reasons why some NASA scientists are cautioning that the existence of alien life on Titan is just one explanation for the moon's curious lack of hydrogen and acetylene, and is probably the least likely theory to be correct.

...So the whole theory that the article is about is the theory that is considered to be the "least likely to be correct?"

And there is a lack of hydrogen and acetylene... But they consider those to be what the lifeforms use for energy...

This article didn't really make much sense to me.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
...So the whole theory that the article is about is the theory that is considered to be the "least likely to be correct?"

And there is a lack of hydrogen and acetylene... But they consider those to be what the lifeforms use for energy...

This article didn't really make much sense to me.

Exactly. The idea is that there is a lack of hydrogen and acetylene because the organisms residing on Titan have been consuming them. Supposedly.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Page 1 of 2