theres a big radio station "Oldies 103.3" that play's older music, in 40 year or so, whats gonna be considered "Oldies" from out generation Lady Gaga?
Quote by amicone18
theres a big radio station "Oldies 103.3" that play's older music, in 40 year or so, whats gonna be considered "Oldies" from out generation Lady Gaga?

yea im a grammar nazi...
anyway this will probably become oldies and the curent oldies will be called something else like super oldies
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Hmm, I dunno. I feel like "oldies" well always refer to a certain time frame, just as '70s era will always be considered classic rock. I can't see, say, Nickelback becoming "classic rock" by 2030 or anything.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Yeah, music sounds too shit in general to be considered classic at any point in time.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
i think the classics will stay the classics. they won't ever disappear. i don't know what todays music will be
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Sure as hell better be Lily Allen. Best top 40 artist out at the moment.
...In my opinion.
If oldies now is stuff that was around in the 40's and 50's, then oldies in 20 years will be stuff like Pink Floyd and Led Zep.
"Now going all the way back to 2008, here's Lady Gaga, with the classic, Poker Face."
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Quote by unet
If oldies now is stuff that was around in the 40's and 50's, then oldies in 20 years will be stuff like Pink Floyd and Led Zep.

Oldies is '50s and '60s, sometimes '70s now. But Floyd and Zeppelin are both considered classic rock. There's a little bit of overlap, but generally it's bands with a lot of hits. Floyd and Zeppelin were both huge, but they didn't exactly have many hit songs.
Quote by Jlovesmetal
"Now going all the way back to 2008, here's Lady Gaga, with the classic, Poker Face."

"Now to take you back to a more innocent time.... *I wanna take a ride on your disco stick*"
the classic rock station i listen to has started to play early 90s stuff like RHCP, nirvana, pearl jam so i'm guessing that commercially successful bands will become the oldies of tomorrow stuff like the foo fighters and the white stripes
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by Holy Katana
There's a little bit of overlap, but generally it's bands with a lot of hits. Floyd and Zeppelin were both huge, but they didn't exactly have many hit songs.

They did to me...

But yeah...i guess classic rock will stay classic rock.
Quote by Duff_McGee

"Now to take you back to a more innocent time.... *I wanna take a ride on your disco stick*"

"Coming up next, the top ten with everyone's favourite pop cover of 'I Cum Blood!'"
"You are tuned into pre-teen radio!"
...In my opinion.
In a perfect world, Animal Collective, Fleet Foxes, and MGMT.

Alas, this is not a perfect world.

EDIT: Gorillaz probably will be, that's a huge plus on the future.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by Benjibum2nd
Sure as hell better be Lily Allen. Best top 40 artist out at the moment.

It'll be pretty similar. I imagine there will be Cyndi Laupers (Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, etc.), there will be Talking Heads (Phoenix, MGMT, etc.), and tons of other things like that.

The big thing is that 20 years from now, our kids (well maybe not OUR kids) will be complaining about how the only good music was from the 2000's and the 2010's. Its just a big stupid cycle really.
Quote by Duff_McGee

That being said...

"And now for more of those Led Zep classics! *...Squeeze my lemons babe, till the juice runs down my leg...*"

Quote by JacobTheMe
It'll be pretty similar. I imagine there will be Cyndi Laupers (Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, etc.), there will be Talking Heads (Phoenix, MGMT, etc.), and tons of other things like that.

The big thing is that 20 years from now, our kids (well maybe not OUR kids) will be complaining about how the only good music was from the 2000's and the 2010's. Its just a big stupid cycle really.

This. What's considered "good" is often defined by what a kids parents tell them. Which is why folks have the classic rock phase where they can't listen to anything "after 1990 because it all sucks."

If I ever have kids I'm going to raise them on equal parts weird, obscure stuff and equal parts really mainstream music. Then at about age 10 I'll leave them to their own device, and not criticize their tastes at all. It'll be interesting to see what they end up listening to. (Though for a while it will likely be whatever their peers are listening to.)
Last edited by xaviergray at Jun 7, 2010,
I think Black eyed peas, Nickle back, Lady GaGa, and Justin beaver.

*shudders*
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
first thought was gorillaz, and muse, and blink 182
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
i think the modern metal and hardcore will be like new wave music from the 80s. some people still like it a lot, but most remember it because of the silly fads and such
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Coheed and Cambria have the staying power of Rush, I can feel it. I also don't think metal will go in the more BrOOtalZ direction, I think it will soften up a bit. No reason to think this, it's just a guess.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Indie.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Pop
Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
Being the child lover I am I told him to beat it or I'll beat his ass.
We're bringing you wayyyy back to 2007 now with this classic hit from his album that peaked at #27. Here is Too $hort with "Gangstas & Strippers"...

I gotta get a bitch and get my dick sucked
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Last edited by ewp805 at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by ewp805
We're bringing you wayyyy back to 2007 now with this classic hit from his album that peaked at #27. Here is Too $hort with "Gangstas & Strippers...

I gotta get a bitch and get my dick sucked

That's what I love about the 2000s. It's showing that the general populace isn't as easily offended and mortified at "vulgar" terminology and subject matter, however blatant and exaggerated it may be at times.

Except for the few traditionalist classic rock nazis, which I discussed earlier (Don't get me wrong, I love classic rock. It's the common mindset of it that gets to me, though.)
Circa Survive is gonna be old prog.

I think bands that no one really considers punk will be punk. Like Rancid.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
The classic rock station i sometimes listen to plays some 90's stuff like Nirvana, which always makes me think since when did 90's become classic?
./|\
(\o )=w==>
./ \

˙ᴥ˘
Surprised Green Day haven't been mentioned...

I honestly think a lot of music from this generation will be forgotten. In 20 years people will still be listening to Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc.

However I can see some artists lasting the test of time, namely Lady Gaga, Green Day, Emimen, Foo Fighters etc.