To me they tend to be an indecipherable mess. I've been to a couple venues, and at both places when the guitar amps get cranked, all I hear is high-pitched wailing with the music quietly in the background.

Has anybody ever come up with ways to combat this? Should I sit closer? Would earplugs work, by quieting the high pitches? Or is this just the way the laws of physics work and I have to put up with it?

Everything about the concerts are fantastic... except for the fact that I can barely make out the music.
Earplugs work for me. Unless the problem lies in-

-Shitty amps

-Bad EQ

-Unnecessary loudness

Sadly some artist feel the need to crank the sound even though they're only playing in a mid-sized room.
I can't say I've ever had that problem, really. Well, only on a few isolated occasions when the sound guy was a moron. But yeah, I'd try earplugs first.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Earplugs work. I remember seeing Whitechapel and was right next to the speakers on the side of the stage. All I could really hear was one continuous blast beat until their set was done. Wore earplugs for the next band and I could hear so much better (although my ears were still ringing).
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I've never really had that problem. But it's also possible that the venue just sounds shitty.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Earplugs make a big difference.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Instant Mash
I've never really had that problem. But it's also possible that the venue just sounds shitty.

This. A lot of places people play aren't really designed for music, so they have terrible acoustics, and thus you get a wall of noise, and not music.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
A lot of things can add to that. Bad acoustics in the venue, poor equalization, high volume. Sometimes artists do that purposely to cover up any mistakes they might make playing live. ear plugs or, sometimes, sitting farther away from the stage may fix the problem if you're at a show of an offender.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Minkaro
I've been told by my teacher (who worked as a sound technician) that the best place to stand is just in front/behind the mixing desk.

I can't confirm that, as I haven't been to a gig since she told me, but give it a go.

This, I guess, is kind of what I was getting at. Makes sense, as whoever's handling the EQ will make it sound best to them, so standing where they are will give the best sound output from the stage.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
The bands you are going are are bad?

Or the venues are bad?

or both?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door