Mods, if this thread needs to be moved, then by all means move it.

As the title says I'm in need of finding a new bass amp.

I would prefer a head, and a cabinet. And it doesn't matter if they match, I'll probably just get an avatar cab anyways unless someone persuades me otherwise.

I play Metal, rock, punk, and blues mostly. I need to be able to gig, and practice with a full band, so a minimum of 200 watts, preferably more. Prepared to spend at least $500US, but not over $600US (I have to fix my car :[ ). Oh and recommend me some good cabs to go with, nothing over $500 and be able to handle a 5-string's low B.
I'm FAT!
If by your post you mean that you will spend as much as $600.00 on your amp and $500.00 on your cabinet, then I would recommend this:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B600H-and-B810-Stack?sku=484901

You could get the same head and their 4x10 cabinet for a bit less, but nothing beats a refrigerator for bass. It is more than you need, but who the hell cares? you can always turn it down.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Do you have any experience with it? How does it sound in person?
I've heard talk about them, but all I've heard is that it replicates JPJ's tone pretty well.
I'm FAT!
Quote by tatatotfolife
Do you have any experience with it? How does it sound in person?
I've heard talk about them, but all I've heard is that it replicates JPJ's tone pretty well.

If I didn't already have a 1000-watt Carvin head and an 8x10 Hartke cabinet, that thing would be parked in my living room right now. I have played through it many times and it is a great sounding amplifier. Simple layout for the EQ, but you can get some fantastic tones out of it. It is as loud as hell. I have the 200-watt 1x15 combo for use around the home when I am not in a mood to piss off the neighbors, and I love the sound I get from it. I've owned it for about two years now and it has worked flawlessly.

The Acoustic bass amps are definitely near the top of the heap in the bang-for-your-buck department.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by tatatotfolife

JPJ used them back when they were a different company. Now Acoustic is Guitar Center's budget minded brand of amps. You get a lot of bang for your buck, and while they're not really stellar amps, there's nothing negative to say about them either.

I'd suggest going used. $500-$600 could get you a nice used Peavey, Ashdown, or Carvin off of craigslist. For a cab, again if you look used you could strike gold. You can find Eden and Ampeg 4x10's floating around for under $500
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass