Hi guys,
I've searched, but this time, no luck with an answer.

I've got a Modtone Power Plant to power my board.. cool!

My MXR Flanger needs 18v power. Because each channel on the powerplant is isolated I can run two 9v cables to the Flanger to make the needed 18v. However there's only 1 barrel socket, and inside there's two 9v battery clips. If I was to run 9v into the Barrel and 9v into ONE of the clips inside, would that provide my 18v? Or would it ignore one of the two power supplies and just run on 9v?

Thanks,
Eden
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
It won't work. A well designed pedal will disconnect the battery when you plug in the DC socket. Even if it doesn't disconnect the battery it wil be a parallel connection, not a series one so it will still be 9V.
Secondly, when you say the power outputs are isolated what do you mean? Do you mean the positive rails are isolated or that they are all isolated from earth. If they share a common earth (which is likely) then you can't series them up because it will short one +ve output to ground. If they are truly isolated (ie not sharing earth) then you could series them up with a custom made y-cable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for your reply. I thought that would be the case.
It's the latter of the two, they are "truly isolated". The manual said to get one of these Y-Cables if I wanted to do the job. I just thought I'd ask if I could take a quick method to get the same result.
I'm not exactly sure what the Y-Cables are really called, would you know where I could buy one? Or at least their technical name so I can do some detective work for one?

Ede
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
I would never buy something as simple as that. It's a 10 min job to make one. Not sure what you'd call it. Series coupler maybe?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh haha. I'm not technically minded enough to create cables etc. I'll ask some mates who are.
Thanks for your help today Cathbard!
If you need a circuit diagram give me a yell and I'll draw it for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Forsaknazrael, thanks for that great find!!
Cathbird, if that's not too much trouble, I'd love a diagram, thanks!

"18v/24v 5.5mm x 2.1mm (straight)
Combines two Pedal Power outputs (both in standard 9V mode) to create 18V. Great for powering pedals like the MXR Flanger and Dime Distortion, Crybaby 535Q, and various Fulltone and Keeley products.
PPY: $10.00 - Approximately 20” long, end-to-end."

Absolutely perfect!
Well here it is but at $10 just buy that pre-made one, you'd only save about $5 tops to make it yourself unless you have spare parts laying about like me..

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 8, 2010,
Thanks for that! I really appreciate the help!