When angling the pick, should I be angling my whole arm so that my pick is at an angle to the strings, or should I be angling just my wrist?

Also, when picking, do you guys ever rest your hand on the strings? I notice that I do that sometimes (Usually not when playing through scales, though.) to mute the strings such as during the solo in November Rain with all the bends. Should I be working on my bending technique or am I not on the wrong track?
Resting your hand on the string is called palm muting, its used for some songs but playing in general no.

I usually have my pick parallel to the strings.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Resting your hand on the string is called palm muting, its used for some songs but playing in general no.

I think he is talking about muting the strings he isn't playing, which in that case is a good thing
Quote by triface
When angling the pick, should I be angling my whole arm so that my pick is at an angle to the strings, or should I be angling just my wrist?

Also, when picking, do you guys ever rest your hand on the strings? I notice that I do that sometimes (Usually not when playing through scales, though.) to mute the strings such as during the solo in November Rain with all the bends. Should I be working on my bending technique or am I not on the wrong track?

In my opinion the angling of the pick should come from the finger and thumb, if you angle your arm or wrist you're likely to be compromising your comfort and such which can lead to some really awkward and unnatural picking positions. As Paul Gilbert says in his famous video: The more you bend your thumb when you're holding the pick like that the greater the angle against the string becomes and the key is finding a finger/thumb position that gives you a pleasing tone and physical comfort.

Resting your hand on the strings is a good idea, it may sound very zen to say it but every time you play a string you also want to be not playing the other 5 (or more if you're so inclined) so you need to use various parts of your hands to mute the strings you want to stay quiet. The fact that you seem to be doing so naturally and thinking about it later is great, I had to actively work on my muting and still do in fact. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the reply guys!

Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Quote by hildesaw
I think he is talking about muting the strings he isn't playing, which in that case is a good thing

Quote by Heminator89

Wow that's a great video. I almost judge myself for not having seen that earlier. >_>

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Resting your hand on the strings is a good idea, it may sound very zen to say it but every time you play a string you also want to be not playing the other 5 (or more if you're so inclined) so you need to use various parts of your hands to mute the strings you want to stay quiet. The fact that you seem to be doing so naturally and thinking about it later is great, I had to actively work on my muting and still do in fact. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Hm. I've just seen that video for the 3rd time and it's all just starting to sink in. I think I started to think that resting my hand on the lower strings isn't a good idea because my acoustic teacher told me it's not good technique. Seems it's time to practice sliding my right hand down the strings as I play scales too.