Ok I guess this is a tough question but Im just gonna throw it out there. Well I currently own a Peavey Vypyr 30 and a Fender MIM HSS strat. And lately I've been looking for an upgrade. I play in a band, and I play pretty much anything metal/hard rock/classic rock. So what do I need more, a new guitar or a new amp? Price range is anything below or at $1000 USD.

Thanks guys.

Rock on!
For $1000, you could get a nice tube amp, plus upgrades to the guitar (pickups etc.), or some pedals.

As for what kind of amp, I'll leave that to someone who knows more...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
For $1000, you could get a nice tube amp, plus upgrades to the guitar (pickups etc.), or some pedals.

As for what kind of amp, I'll leave that to someone who knows more...

actually GC had an SG Standard used for 800, i was wondering why price was so low cause other used ones cost about 1000 dollars, do u think i should go for that? or just get a tube amp nd stick with the fender?
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
actually GC had an SG Standard used for 800, i was wondering why price was so low cause other used ones cost about 1000 dollars, do u think i should go for that? or just get a tube amp nd stick with the fender?

I would personally get a nice tube amp. That HSS Strat with the right amp could be able to play pretty much anything.

Also, if you were set on an SG, you may be able to find a upper end Epi for the same price or cheaper as a lower-end Gibson, that would actually be better quality than the Gibson. Just remember to always try the guitars before you buy. Play every guitar in the store if have to. You may never know you love something until you pick it up.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Haha alright thanks dude. Also, is there a certain like brand you could recommend for a tube amp sub-1000 dollars.
If you are comfortable with your current guitar, then i would recommend upgrading your amp. I would suggest something from the Randall MTS Series. Don't be afraid to go used. Check the MTS forum, CL, and ebay...but rely mostly on the former two.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

If you are not comfortable with your guitar, then you should try and find one that is comfortable. For that, i would recommend looking into DBZ guitars...i just got an Imperial and i can say without a doubt it is the best guitar i have ever played. Playability is great and sound quality is even better. If you can't find any in your area to try out, then other brands like Ibanez and ESP are good options. You just need to find a guitar that fits you and that you love to play. You can't just look at it online and say "that guitar is for me." It ultimately comes down to how the guitar feels to you.

If you are a little uncomfortable with both...then you should try to find a middle ground and try to get both, which can be kind of hard with only $1000. If i were you, i would focus on the amp a little more. If you are comfortable with the feel of the guitar, but not the sound quality, then a new amp and pickups would be a good choice. Hope this helps.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jun 8, 2010,
Eh, my knowledge of amps isn't very good...

I personally have a Peavy Classic 30 that has very nice cleans, and with the right pedals, can do all kinds of rock.

Peavy also has another called the Valveking that's a good beginners tube amp, but for around $1000 you could probably get something a little better than both of those I mentioned.

I'd wait for someone else if I were you. I wouldn't trust my knowledge of amps...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
Are you talking about an MTS Combo or a Head?

whichever you prefer...a combo would probably be cheaper. An RM50 would be a good choice. Maybe a Blackface module for cleans and SL+ for heavier riffs. Whatever tone you are looking for, i'm sure there is a module and/or modification that can achieve it.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Ok im kind of new to tube amps and those upper end not digital crap amps, what the heck do you mean by a module/modification? Like changing the tubes or whatever? Haha sorry for the noob question, but this stuff confuses me.
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
Ok im kind of new to tube amps and those upper end not digital crap amps, what the heck do you mean by a module/modification? Like changing the tubes or whatever? Haha sorry for the noob question, but this stuff confuses me.

no its alright...the MTS series is unique and different from other tube amps. It uses preamp modules which are basically individual channels. The blackface, for instance, emulates the Fender Blackface tone. The SL+ emulates the Marshall Super Lead tone. They each have two preamp tubes and are interchangeable. The RM50 can hold two modules at a time, but you can switch them out at will (as long as the amp is on standby or off...it wouldn't be a good idea to do it when it is in play mode).

There are several guys on the MTS forum who will mod these modules to make them even better than they already are. Each stock modules aims to emulate a certain amp or sound. The modders will rework the circuit to give it a different tone. Most times they also add extra features like toggle switches and push/pull switches. The MTS amps are imo the most versatile amps around.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jun 8, 2010,
Definitely get a new amp before you get a new guitar. Look at Marshall, Peavey, Mesa, Fedner Tube amps. Maybe if you want to go cheaper look at Laney or Bugera.