I'm in a metal band on lead guitar with a drummer and a rhyhtm guitar player/vocalist (currently looking for a bass player). Not sure what particular style of metal to go with though. Inspiring by Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Hendrix, and Dethklok mostly (although we do not want to be Death Metal).

Here is a quick description of each of our styles if it helps, thanks in advance we are really lost here:

Me:
Fast solos that use the harmonic minor scale, pentatonic scale, and major scale. A lot of two hand tapping/pick sliding. Influenced by Yngwie, Gilbert, Mustaine, Friedman, and Petrucci. Using a stratocaster and a Crate MX120R amplifier.

Rhyhtm/Vocalist (James, btw):
Percussive sounding guitar chords and melodic, high-distortion solos (similar to Kirk Hammett or Hetfield solos). Highly melodic riffs. Using a Epiphone Plus-Top Standard Les Paul and unidentified 125 watt crate amp.

Drummer:
Simple drum set up, single bass pedal. Mostly slow death metal style stuff involving blast beats and complex jazz fills.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
I see no reason to jump into a band trying to define yourself by a style. If you're looking to be a cover band, then you're going to cross genres constantly to keep the fans happy. If you plan on working on some original stuff, I see no reason not to draw from a few different genres and making it into something a bit unique. If you can draw from popular genres and get your own sound, people will remember you.

The one thing that does need to be said, especially if you plan on being a metal band of any sort, is get very tight with your music. Most any successful metal band is very tight with their playing. If you're sloppy and have to use more distortion to cover up mistakes, you need to practice more until its tight and clean.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Just write music together. You don't go in saying, "We're going to be this." After you write music together you say, "We are this."
Quote by stephen_rettie
Just write music together. You don't go in saying, "We're going to be this." After you write music together you say, "We are this."

Right but I mean we want some sort of guideline.

If I'm doing Yngwie style riffs over James doing Hetfield style riffs while our drummer (Branden, btw) is playing Mitch Mitchel style drum fills, it just won't sound good when its mixed together.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
Quote by the_trooper189

If I'm doing Yngwie style riffs over James doing Hetfield style riffs while our drummer (Branden, btw) is playing Mitch Mitchel style drum fills, it just won't sound good when its mixed together.

I say work things out based on a song to song basis. One song could be very heavily influenced by Yngwie while another could have a great deal of Hetfield pulled into it.

If one of you guys starts out with a great sounding riff, just try to play off of that until you can develop it into something closer to a song. In the bands I was in, when trying to write original songs, I found that jamming around one of the other member's riffs usually led ot some pretty decent, and interesting, results at times.

At the very least, it will allow you to have a wider range of songs in the bank.

But if you insist on a bit of guidelines, maybe you can just make it a point to stick close to the style of the original riff that started the songwriting process?
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Agreeing with stephen_rettie.

Defining yourself by a genre is a stupid idea. Just write music and see what comes out of it, all the differences will make the music more interesting.
Last edited by CloudArchitect at Jun 8, 2010,
You don't know if it won't work until you try playing together. If it's not working then, adapt your parts to fit. If that doesn't work, break up :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by the_trooper189
I'm in a metal band on lead guitar with a drummer and a rhyhtm guitar player/vocalist (currently looking for a bass player). Not sure what particular style of metal to go with though. Inspiring by Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Hendrix, and Dethklok mostly (although we do not want to be Death Metal).

Here is a quick description of each of our styles if it helps, thanks in advance we are really lost here:

Me:
Fast solos that use the harmonic minor scale, pentatonic scale, and major scale. A lot of two hand tapping/pick sliding. Influenced by Yngwie, Gilbert, Mustaine, Friedman, and Petrucci. Using a stratocaster and a Crate MX120R amplifier.

Rhyhtm/Vocalist (James, btw):
Percussive sounding guitar chords and melodic, high-distortion solos (similar to Kirk Hammett or Hetfield solos). Highly melodic riffs. Using a Epiphone Plus-Top Standard Les Paul and unidentified 125 watt crate amp.

Drummer:
Simple drum set up, single bass pedal. Mostly slow death metal style stuff involving blast beats and complex jazz fills.

I would suggest that you guys see what you do naturally, rather than forcing yourself into a style suggested by someone that doesn't even know you.

It's great to have influences, and you shouldn't have to hide them, but to preconceive yourself as a band that sounds like them...... why? I mean, you're YOU right?

I'd say allow the chemistry to develop. Be your own band.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 8, 2010,
That sounds like a GREAT band to me (minus the single-pedal... NEEDS MOAR DOUBLE). A neoclassical influenced guitarist playing with a thrash influenced guitarist and a jazz influenced drummer?

That sounds like a winning combination to me.

Why don't you... write a song, play it for them, and then ask if they like it. If they say yes, ask what you could do to change it to make it better. See how they would change it if they had written it. Once you get the two guitars down add the drummer. You can get some CRAZY things going if you know what you're doing.

If they don't like it, repeat above.
Quote by the_trooper189
(currently looking for a bass player).

Hardest part of forming a band
Quote by the_trooper189

That would be retarded. You have to LISTEN to each other when you play music. That's the whole idea behind being a musician...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
(minus the single-pedal... NEEDS MOAR DOUBLE).

Have you ever listened to Every Time I Die? There early albums DESTROY with single bass pedal action. Granted they are mathcore so it works a bit better.

Anyway, the_trooper189, why don't you all just do what you do best? You wrote out the guidelines you need right in the OP. If I were in this situation I would start by playing songs that everyone likes and adding your own style to them until you really get a feel for what your bandmates are capable of, what they like to play, and all of their little stylistic idiosyncrasies. And then just start jamming. Have James come up with a riff, have the drummer get something behind it, then play a lead over it or join in with the riff. See what comes of it. It might not be your ideal style, but it will be YOUR style and it will guarantee that you sound original.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jun 8, 2010,
My advice is that you listen to more artists and learn more of their styles, so you can create your own unique styles. Perhaps mix blues and metal, or funk and metal, or all three, or rock and funk, or whatever. You might come up with a really unique sound that nobody else has done before.

Some artists that I recommend you look into to help develop your style:
Guns N Roses Led Zeppelin Rob Zombie Red Hot Chili Peppers Prince Eric Clapton (who in my opinion is the greatest guitarist of all time) Aerosmith Van Halen Smashing Pumpkins Nirvana Rage Against the Machine Pink Floyd Stevie Ray Vaughan Beatles Rolling Stones
Last edited by Spencertheman at Jun 8, 2010,