Hello fellow geeetar players,

I'm on the brink of clinical insanity, all because of this amp business.
I've been looking for a new amp for ages now, started a few threads, just can not seem to make my mind up!

Basically the amp needs to be loud enough to play medium sized gigs, so like 40watts or something, and needs to sound good clean, not the boring cleans with no character that you get with most hi-gain amps.

Although it also needs to sound good distorted, heavy distortion, not like death-metal, but I'm into bands such as Deftones, Kyuss, QOTSA, Biffy Clyro, Nirvana, and so my music is influenced by pretty heavy distortion.

Trouble is, not many amps do both of these well, apart from very expensive Mesas and the like (that I can't afford).

I have a budget of £700-£1000 (closer to 700 the better, £1000 wold be a huge push, Great British pounds).

I live in England, close to London, so I have access to most things.

Basically, my options are to buy a good clean amp and buy some distortion pedals to build my sound with, or to look at used Mesas or something, which I've been doing, I've found used F series, Mark series etc. that I could afford. Open to suggestions away from this also, just not sure what to do at all.

Amps that I've tried in stores that sound good distorted just suck at cleans and vica-versa, I tried a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, loved the cleans, dirty channel isn't even worth mentioning, also I'm worried that the speaker wont sound good for distorted tones? And if I changed it to one that would, it wouldn't sound good clean?.. Also I tried a Peavey Classic 30, liked the cleans, don't think that'll be loud enough though.

Head or combo, don't mind (keep in mind that if it's a head, I need to buy a cab with that budget). If it's a combo, I'd prefer 1x12 as they are lighter, smaller and easier to carry around (had two different 2x12s before, too heavy).

I play a few different guitars, both SC and humbuckers, Fenders.

Here are some basic tones that I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYzPEXOy5w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL22RIdJo40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV56NpUqpfE

Sorry for the absolutly massive wall of text, if you've read it all, nice one, just thought I'd give you as much information as possible.

Any suggestions/information/comments on amps/pedals/psychiatrists are greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

Fuzz. X
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
i would highly recommend the Egnater Renegade. i love mine. sparkling cleans and an overdirve channel that sustains forever. about a grand in USD, but i am not sure of exchange rates.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would highly recommend the Egnater Renegade. i love mine. sparkling cleans and an overdirve channel that sustains forever. about a grand in USD, but i am not sure of exchange rates.

I looked at the demos for this amp on the Egnater site, thought it sounded extremely boring both clean and distorted, it didn't sound bad as such, just lacked character, not what I'm looking for anyway. But thanks for the reply.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I looked at the demos for this amp on the Egnater site, thought it sounded extremely boring both clean and distorted, it didn't sound bad as such, just lacked character, not what I'm looking for anyway. But thanks for the reply.

hmmmmm. those would be the last words i would describe the renegade with. YMMV though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if you like the peavey classic 30 but it's not loud enough, why not try the... wait for it... classic 50?
what amp are you currently running? if you have at least an amp that you like the clean or dist. from (and so you are looking for an amp that has both) then maybe just get what you are missing and aby them? i was doing that for quite a while with 3 amps and it was sickkkk

edit: how much distortion are you expecting from an amp? if youre looking for qotsa then its well known that he uses modestly-low-gain ampeg v22s or v40s with fuzz and maybe some other magnets and stuff. if thats the tone you are most going for, look at the old-ass-forgotten-tube-bass-amp category. something like an Ampeg ReverbeRocket or something should get you damn close.

i would trade my laney (which doesnt do too terribly) for an ampeg in a heartbeat.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by JordanZZ
if you like the peavey classic 30 but it's not loud enough, why not try the... wait for it... classic 50?

i second this, and even 30 watts would be plenty in most situations
Quote by boardsofcanada
what amp are you currently running? if you have at least an amp that you like the clean or dist. from (and so you are looking for an amp that has both) then maybe just get what you are missing and aby them? i was doing that for quite a while with 3 amps and it was sickkkk

edit: how much distortion are you expecting from an amp? if youre looking for qotsa then its well known that he uses modestly-low-gain ampeg v22s or v40s with fuzz and maybe some other magnets and stuff. if thats the tone you are most going for, look at the old-ass-forgotten-tube-bass-amp category. something like an Ampeg ReverbeRocket or something should get you damn close.

i would trade my laney (which doesnt do too terribly) for an ampeg in a heartbeat.

I currently have an old Fender Champ, it's like 12watts or something like that, definatly not loud enough, the distortion sucks and the clean is just OK. It's fine for home practice on my own though.

I realise that Homme uses Ampegs, not massively high-gain amps, what I meant is that I don't want an amp that only sounds good clean, because alot of the stuff I play gets pretty heavy, just like some QOTSA does.. I'll check out some Ampegs though, it's hard to find them though, they don't even make guitar amps any more do they? Never heard of the ReverbeRocket, I'll have a look

For those of you who mentioned the Peavey Classic 50, I've obviously considered this, but if you look I did actually say that I don't want a 2x12 combo, they're too hard to carry around easily.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions or help?
Last edited by FuzzLove at Jun 8, 2010,
maybe a marshall jcm 900 combo? with the 2 channels?, not the mk3. you can pick 'em up for less than £700.
got my jcm900 112 mk3 for £300. the drive/gain can get pretty heavy, and it does clean up very nicley with single coils and rolling off the volume on the guitar.
but if you want foot switchable channels the dual reverb models maybe somthing to look at.
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
Quote by FuzzLove
I currently have an old Fender Champ, it's like 12watts or something like that, definatly not loud enough, the distortion sucks and the clean is just OK. It's fine for home practice on my own though.

I realise that Homme uses Ampegs, not massively high-gain amps, what I meant is that I don't want an amp that only sounds good clean, because alot of the stuff I play gets pretty heavy, just like some QOTSA does.. I'll check out some Ampegs though, it's hard to find them though, they don't even make guitar amps any more do they? Never heard of the ReverbeRocket, I'll have a look

For those of you who mentioned the Peavey Classic 50, I've obviously considered this, but if you look I did actually say that I don't want a 2x12 combo, they're too hard to carry around easily.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions or help?

i dont know if the Rocket or the Jet were ever "Guitar" amps but theyve been used as one since they came out im sure.
try a Bassman? (ive never seen a 112 though.)
peavey Delta? (theres a 115 version and i think maybe a 112 as well)
traynor YCV?
randall RG/RT? (may or may not have the best cleans, but something that can keep up if you play heavier as well as have a clean for pedals, this is a cheaper option)
kustom Defender? (hit or miss it seems, but may definitely be a worthy underdog)
Vox? you can get some great noises, i mean tones, from something like an ac30 with its tremolo and reverb. find a 112 version and throw in a fuzz

edit: how about a Mesa F series or something? i hear theyre pretty good all around
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at Jun 8, 2010,
I'm thinking a Traynor Bassmaster with a fuzz. I saw a yba-1 (head version) on ebay yesterday but didn't see how much it went for. I think they normally go for just over £300
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I like the Renegade - I thought it had lots of character. A bit over budget maybe as the head is $999 here in the States.

I think a used Rockerverb or Thurnderverb head would work well too.

They do make a Classic 50 or 100 in a head format - you could try one of those.

Too bad they don't make a Traynor YCV50 in head format.

Look for a used Marshall DSL or TSL too.

Above average cleans and OD for $700 is kinda touch imo.
Checked out those Ampeg bass amps, they're solid state? Kinda put me off of those.

Bassmans are cool, but it's the more glassy Fender cleans that I like really, I'm just not really drawn to Bassmans.. I will still check out a few videos to see what they can do though.

Is there much difference between the Peavey Delta and Peavey classic, apart from speaker size and trem?

I like the clean sounds on the Traynor YCV40! Havn't found much on the distortion side of things yet though. Cheers for letting me know about Traynor though!

Randalls seem abit cheap and tacky to me?

I don't know much abouy Kustom amps, I'll have a read.

I tried a VOX custom classic AC30 thingy a few weeks ago, sounded terrible, absolutly terrible. I've heard voxes that I thought sounded good before, but they seem to be abit expensive for what they are. As is the case with the Egnater, I thought it sounded OK, just nothing special, especially for the money, the clean channel lacked character especially I though.

Mesa F50 was my choice for a while actually, but they one that I was going to buy on eBay sold before I could make up my mind haha. I've also found a good deal for a Mesa Mark IV, gonna look into that.

Orange Rocker 30 was one of my original choices after I got rid of my Blackstar, but I didn't think the cleans were all that, also the cabs are too expensive, maybe I should look into the Rockerverb/Thunderverb more, maybe they have better cleans.

I didn't think they made a head version of the Peavey Classic 50? Couldn't see them online and the guy in the shop only mentioned a 30 head. Very interesting.

I'm not familiar with DSLs and TSLs, but I'm not really a fan of Marshall in general to be honest, too harsh sounding, and they make you look silly. :P

What's the $700 for, the Marshall?

Cheers for all the replys guys