I have two Ibanez S guitars -- a 2008 SA260FM and a SZ520QM that I just bought used -- that I'm gonna swap pickups on, and I'd love any suggestions you might have.

Ibanez SA260FM

A sweet emerald burst SA260FM that I like a lot, but the neck and middle single coils seem a little lackluster. The neck pickup has lately developed a pronounced annoying hum, and the middle has always sounded a little thin and bland. So I'm going to replace them both and keep the True Duo humbucker in the bridge. *

On this guitar I play mostly blues, with some classic rock and hard rock.

Here's what I'm considering:

Options
Neck - Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues
Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro
Dimarzio Cruiser neck
Dimarzio Area 61 neck
Dimarzio Area 67 neck

Middle - Dimarzio Area 61 neck
Dimarzio Cruiser neck
Dimarzio Cruiser bridge
Dimarzio Area 67 neck
Dimarzio Area 67 bridge

Any opinions? Things I need to watch out for?

* The TrueDuo bucker is basically a humbucker and single coil stacked together and switchable through the push-pull volume pot. If there was a better sounding pickup out there that had the same functionality, I would replace that pickup as well, as the TrueDuo sounds "ok, but not great."

Ibanez SZ520FM

I purchased this from mahogany body beauty from ebay last month -- I think it's an '05 model -- and I'm very happy with the feel of the guitar, but the stock pickups fall into the "ok, but not inspiring" category. I like playing through them, but they are kind of muddy and lack upper register presence. I'm thinking of trying out some GFS pickups, because the price and reported performance seem to make some of them great "bang for the buck" stock pup replacements.

I want a pup combo that sounds great for blues, but can also growl for hard/classic rock (AC/DC, Sabbath, old Judas Priest, Led Zep II). Nothing particularly high gain, but still powerful.

I'm also replacing all the hardware on this with gold, so the pickups will have gold metal covers. I'm replacing the electronics with 500K pots, and volume knobs on the humbuckers will be a push/pull for coil-tapping purposes.

Options
Neck - GFS Mean 90 P90-style
GFS Vintage '59 humbucker neck
GFS Fat Pat/Paf humbucker neck
GFS Dream 90 P90-style
Dimarzio Bluesbucker

Bridge - GFS Vintage '59 humbucker bridge
GFS Fat Pat/Paf humbucker bridge
GFS Crunchy Pat/Paf humbucker bridge
Dimarzio PAF Pro

I'm kinda leaning toward the Mean-90 neck and Fat Paf/Pat bridge combo, but I'd welcome any opinions on the options and how they'd fit my playing style.

I know to reduce noise I'll probably have to shield the cavity and/or get a noise gate pedal with a P90-style, but I'm OK with that.

What do you think? I'm going to do the two single coils on the SA260FM first.
i'm not as pleased with the GFS pickups and I thought I would be. I would suggest staying away from them unless you're looking for something cheap. You're gonna need some pedals to get a good sound outta the GFS pickups.
I would Avoid GFS pups instead try SD Custom Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck for The SZ520 and for SA260FM I recommend the SD Custom Stack or Custom Staggered in both middle and neck.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by handbanana
i'm not as pleased with the GFS pickups and I thought I would be. I would suggest staying away from them unless you're looking for something cheap. You're gonna need some pedals to get a good sound outta the GFS pickups.

thanks for the reply. Which GFS pickups did you have that you were unhappy with, and what didn't you like?
What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What amp are you using?

I have two: Fender G-Dec 30 that I've modded the cabinet on, and a Line 6 Spider III 75 that I rarely use and am looking to part ways with.
Last edited by gdsmithtx at Jun 8, 2010,